Los Angeles Rams - Zone run from 11 personel, they play in LA now I guess

thetrza

I can't get enough of watching the Rams run the outside zone. When the play gets four yards or more, it gets the defense to react and get close to the line. This in turn opens up the play action and jet seeps and other plays. Its like their whole offense starts with getting good yardage from the outside zone. You could say the outside zone run is the base of their entire offensive scheme.

A big part of it is Guard Austin Blythe, the blocks combined with Gurley's ability to read and react and then cut back or fight for yards make the play a thing of beauty. The team looks like they practice it all offseason and will be using it in the playoff game this weekend. Its a work of art,

Breakdown with the sweep action before snap:

The outside zone is a scheme we Iowa fans know well, and at times has worked very well for us. The difference between us running it well now and what you see here from the Rams (as well as some past Iowa teams) is that they have an athletic center capable of reaching the nickel and guards who can engage and sustain blocks. We did not have anything close to that this year as we got owned by defensive tackles shedding our lineman after reacting to the play. If we can sustain those blocks at the proper angle teams have to slant on us or gap blitz which opens up the counter action.

For next year i think our tackles are fine, but we have to get better play out of the interior to have an effective running game and actually see if our backs are good enough to take advantage of it. If there is no hole to run through a back will look bad.

Wait you didn't know where the Rams were located????

O5vj6wE.gif

So, if you don't have that guy at center then do you keep running that blocking scheme? Is it too hard to teach two blocking techniques to the OL depending on the personnel each year, or do you just go with one, and live with it?

So, if you don't have that guy at center then do you keep running that blocking scheme? Is it too hard to teach two blocking techniques to the OL depending on the personnel each year, or do you just go with one, and live with it?

I am no offensive line coach or anything, but as I understand it and what I see is that the outside zone scheme is dependent on all the lineman, and tight ends to do their jobs in synchronous harmony. If any of the lineman miss their blocks, or get beat, the chain breaks, there is penetration in the gap and the running back will probably lose yards or at the very least it busts the play. That is the downside to the scheme. However, the upside is that if it is performed well, and there is a shifty back, it is very very hard to counter as a defense and there is the capability of the big play, because everyone is blocked and there are multiple lanes for the running back to choose from. The reason is that if the defensive lineman are weaker and/or slower than the offensive lineman, they have to either slant pre-snap or post-snap to the gaps, essentially guessing at which way the play is going to go. But when they do this and they guess wrong, or, the back cuts it backside and the weakside tight end and receiver execute blocks, the running back will take it to the house. However, when the defensive line is bigger and stronger than the offensive lineman, especially the interior, they dont have to slant and wait to read the play post snap and shed their blocker when they have the running back approaches the hole. We have really struggled with the big and fast nose tackle, in either the 3-4 or 4-3, like the Miss St. guys or Sagapolu from Wisconsin. They just own our guys and disrupt the play before it gets going, and because they are reading the play post snap, the counter action doesn't work because they will just flow to the backside. Watch our film games from this past year, there are so many of our lineman that stand there with no one to block, which means there is a free rusher somewhere.

So what we have been doing more than anything is the inside zone, which to me doesn't have as much upside because there aren't as many holes to choose from, however, it looks to take advantage of big lineman who aren't very fast. A big guy can pin a guy in one place easier than trying to engage a block and move him horizontally. The running game here wont be as potent as the outside zone, but if you dont have the horses to execute the outside zone then you just cant do it. But this can get you some decent plays, but you hope that someone on defenses misses their assignment.

And if you cant do that, then just block straight forward, one on one, move your guy one way and your adjacent lineman moves his guy the other way, bang a fullback in the hole to clear out the linebacker and hope to squirt the back through. However, this has the least amount of success rate because there is only one hole that will be available and you arent accounting for the weakside backers or safeties. I see you use this only if you have one great tackle and one great guard, and the rest of your line are scrubs, you have no choice.

So to end all of this, I feel we have to get way way way better at center and guards, and like really quickly. But overall, it seems our offensive line play has really diminished here lately and that is not good for our running game. Also, for our run game, I don't think our great tight ends were such great blockers, so they wont be a big loss here.

I am no offensive line coach or anything, but as I understand it and what I see is that the outside zone scheme is dependent on all the lineman, and tight ends to do their jobs in synchronous harmony. If any of the lineman miss their blocks, or get beat, the chain breaks, there is penetration in the gap and the running back will probably lose yards or at the very least it busts the play. That is the downside to the scheme. However, the upside is that if it is performed well, and there is a shifty back, it is very very hard to counter as a defense and there is the capability of the big play, because everyone is blocked and there are multiple lanes for the running back to choose from. The reason is that if the defensive lineman are weaker and/or slower than the offensive lineman, they have to either slant pre-snap or post-snap to the gaps, essentially guessing at which way the play is going to go. But when they do this and they guess wrong, or, the back cuts it backside and the weakside tight end and receiver execute blocks, the running back will take it to the house. However, when the defensive line is bigger and stronger than the offensive lineman, especially the interior, they dont have to slant and wait to read the play post snap and shed their blocker when they have the running back approaches the hole. We have really struggled with the big and fast nose tackle, in either the 3-4 or 4-3, like the Miss St. guys or Sagapolu from Wisconsin. They just own our guys and disrupt the play before it gets going, and because they are reading the play post snap, the counter action doesn't work because they will just flow to the backside. Watch our film games from this past year, there are so many of our lineman that stand there with no one to block, which means there is a free rusher somewhere.

So what we have been doing more than anything is the inside zone, which to me doesn't have as much upside because there aren't as many holes to choose from, however, it looks to take advantage of big lineman who aren't very fast. A big guy can pin a guy in one place easier than trying to engage a block and move him horizontally. The running game here wont be as potent as the outside zone, but if you dont have the horses to execute the outside zone then you just cant do it. But this can get you some decent plays, but you hope that someone on defenses misses their assignment.

And if you cant do that, then just block straight forward, one on one, move your guy one way and your adjacent lineman moves his guy the other way, bang a fullback in the hole to clear out the linebacker and hope to squirt the back through. However, this has the least amount of success rate because there is only one hole that will be available and you arent accounting for the weakside backers or safeties. I see you use this only if you have one great tackle and one great guard, and the rest of your line are scrubs, you have no choice.

So to end all of this, I feel we have to get way way way better at center and guards, and like really quickly. But overall, it seems our offensive line play has really diminished here lately and that is not good for our running game. Also, for our run game, I don't think our great tight ends were such great blockers, so they wont be a big loss here.
Excellent analysis. A really special back helps as well. I agree that our line hasn't been up to Iowa standards for a few years, but in 2017 Wadley and Butler took full advantage of opportunities when they arose and we didn't see nearly as much of that in 2018. But you're totally right, it all starts with making sure you have no material weaknesses on the o-line. If you saw that Clemson-Bama game, Dabo put on a o-line recruiting and development clinic. I think Iowa typically has one really good linemen and another waiting in the wings and those two guys probably have a higher upside than any individual on Clemson's o-line, but Clemson just had no material weakness on the line. They had guys get beat by Williams a fair number of times, but that kid is tough to block and they played insanely well as a unit. Reminded me a lot of our 2009 line, but without as much star power.

I don't know if Gurley is hurt or not but some guy named CJ Anderson is running behind that offensive line and his body is built like the average fan in the stands but he is getting yards and just got a touchdown.

The outside zone is a scheme we Iowa fans know well, and at times has worked very well for us. The difference between us running it well now and what you see here from the Rams (as well as some past Iowa teams) is that they have an athletic center capable of reaching the nickel and guards who can engage and sustain blocks. We did not have anything close to that this year as we got owned by defensive tackles shedding our lineman after reacting to the play. If we can sustain those blocks at the proper angle teams have to slant on us or gap blitz which opens up the counter action.

For next year i think our tackles are fine, but we have to get better play out of the interior to have an effective running game and actually see if our backs are good enough to take advantage of it. If there is no hole to run through a back will look bad.
its interesting how things change over the course of a season or two. sometimes lines are better at run blocking and sometimes they are better at pass blocking. this years squad was very good at pass blocking, which is why I think we saw down stretch brains willingness to pass on running downs more often. especially 3rd and 4th and short. this group was pretty good pass blocking, not very good run blocking. that's football!!!!

Latest posts