Looks like Robinson is back this week!

Arob is the man, Next week Arob runs over a 100 on 15 carries... Look for the coke machine to add 75 yards and around 10-12 carries...

Coker wasn't given a chance to run inside the red zone vs IU. Not sure if that was intentional by KF / KOK or not (I assume it was). But when Adam is in there, we usually get a healthy dose of runs mixed with passes.

Coker wasn't given a chance to run inside the red zone vs IU. Not sure if that was intentional by KF / KOK or not (I assume it was). But when Adam is in there, we usually get a healthy dose of runs mixed with passes.

Coker had at least a couple carries inside the red zone and got stuffed. Also, on a couple of the drives, it looked like he was completely out of gas by the time they reached the red zone. With Robinson in there, I think there would have been at least a couple more run attempts.

Coker didn't have as much success in his limited carries in the RZ as he did tearing it up between the 20's, but I agree a lot of it is trust issues. Recall that Coker was the RB against MSU when we had some big play or penalty that got us down inside the 10. For the first time in forever, KOK/KF substituted a RB during a series and ARob came back in (and I think scored the TD). I think if Coker stays healthy once he's used to the CFB pace he could be an absolute beast.

Coker had at least a couple carries inside the red zone and got stuffed. Also, on a couple of the drives, it looked like he was completely out of gas by the time they reached the red zone. With Robinson in there, I think there would have been at least a couple more run attempts.

He had 3 carries for 2 yards inside the 10. If we gave up on Robinson for getting stuffed on 3 carries inside the 10 (they were each on separate possessions, btw), we'd be in a heap of trouble. I can understand subbing in A-Rob when he's healthy (like against MSU), but when Coker is your best bet, trust him a little. Or sub in Rogers if Coker is that gassed.

He had 2 carries inside the 12 yard line. In the first half we had 7 of 9 plays inside the 12 as pass plays, with Coker having over 100 yards. On a first and goal from the 6...set up by a 15 yard Coker run, we ran once and threw twice. Our first drive we ran the ball all over them and threw 3 times after reaching the 12. It was play calling that stalled our drives and not the lack of AROB. It'll be great having him back, but we would have been kicking fg's last week with him and the same type of play calling.

He had 2 carries inside the 12 yard line. In the first half we had 7 of 9 plays inside the 12 as pass plays, with Coker having over 100 yards. On a first and goal from the 6...set up by a 15 yard Coker run, we ran once and threw twice. Our first drive we ran the ball all over them and threw 3 times after reaching the 12. It was play calling that stalled our drives and not the lack of AROB. It'll be great having him back, but we would have been kicking fg's last week with him and the same type of play calling.

That would be correct if you are assuming they call the same plays with ARob that they did with Coker. My thoughts are that they altered their play calling knowing that they had a true freshman in instead of ARob.

One good thing in all of this is that Coker played very well, didn't fumble all over the place, and gives teams something to consider. I really like that Coker may be able to "spell" ARob a bit in these last few games. That could be a big deal...keeping both rested and ready to go as games wear on.

We squeaked by against IU but I'd like to think that some good things will come out of it. Can't wait to see Arob this weekend, with Coker beating down on NW late in the 3rd quarter when Iowa is up by a score or two! (eternal optimist)

Why are you trying to use reason? You know that there are going to be a few that come on here and make excuses as to why we passed the ball once we got it inside the 20 even though it was the run that got it there.

In addition to the "W" last weekend we did learn that Coker can run the ball and should be a factor in the stretch run. Nothing better than two great running backs wearing down a defense, especially late in the season when the weather can be much more of a factor and impact the passing game. I think this give the coaching staff some more options where they can go with Coker every 3rd series or so and also give ARob a rest for a couple downs on long drives.

I certainly felt that Coker did an effective job on Saturday. He doesn't have the same running style or something as ARob, though. I know he's a fresh, but he's got a lot of work to do. I also kind of felt that IU wasn't doing a very good job on run D. Our O-line opened up serious holes in which Coker only got 3 or 4 where ARob would get 10, or alternatively he would get 10 when ARob would have busted it even further because of his awareness and speed. Coker is a suitable backup for now, but he's not exactly an appropriate replacement yet (he'll get there).

My saying this comes from the downhill style that Coker seems to have, he did a lot of running into his blockers backs or right into defenders and what not. Anyone else notice similar?

Last edited:
I certainly felt that Coker did an effective job on Saturday. He doesn't have the same running style or something as ARob, though. I know he's a fresh, but he's got a lot of work to do. I also kind of felt that IU wasn't doing a very good job on run D. Our O-line opened up serious holes in which Coker only got 3 or 4 where ARob would get 10, or alternatively he would get 10 when ARob would have busted it even further because of his awareness and speed. Coker is a suitable backup for now, but he's not exactly an appropriate replacement yet (he'll get there).

My saying this comes from the downhill style that Coker seems to have, he did a lot of running into his blockers backs or right into defenders and what not. Anyone else notice similar?

Yes, and it is what more than a few of us said would happen. He would miss some holes, run into some piles, but slide off some and make big gains. His ability to be patient and know where the hole will develop will come with more reps. But he might never be a great short yardage back. That doesn't mean he can't learn how to be effective.

Good thing we have ARob for that. My hope they develop into a sort of Barber (ARob) and Maroney (Coker) combo.

At least we now know we have a legit back up to give A Rob a rest - looking forward to being able to give him a rest - 30+ carries a game beats up a guy

Im glad Adam only missed one game and hope he has no lingering effects from the concusion.

and I hope if we are up 30 in the fourth quarter this week, someone kicks any coach in the nuts who sends him back onto the field.

Latest posts