Looks like Bo Ryan isn't done

Linesetter

Reports are that he might now coach 4-5 more years. Maybe his health issues cleared up? Maybe he saw that UW wasn't going to give the job to Greg Gard? Maybe he saw the cupboard wasn't bare? Either way let me be the first to say F---!!!

Was hoping only to have to deal with him 1 more year. No question though he helps the profile of the league.

Bo is quoted as saying that he might do 4-5 more years so it really isn't just a rumor at this point.

He just went to Back-to-Back Final Fours so he just didn't "lose it" and forget how to coach over the summer

Reports are that he might now coach 4-5 more years. Maybe his health issues cleared up? Maybe he saw that UW wasn't going to give the job to Greg Gard? Maybe he saw the cupboard wasn't bare? Either way let me be the first to say F---!!!

Was hoping only to have to deal with him 1 more year. No question though he helps the profile of the league.
Why do you pretend that you're NOT a Wisconsin Badger troll? Everyone knows you are. Give it up already.

Bo is quoted as saying that he might do 4-5 more years so it really isn't just a rumor at this point.

He just went to Back-to-Back Final Fours so he just didn't "lose it" and forget how to coach over the summer
Maybe he'll stroke out in the middle of one of his ear chewing sessions with one of the refs. That would make for must-see TV.

I didn't say that Bo lost it. All I said was that he is at a point where he can't keep up with what he would want to do. That's what happens when you get older. The body usually goes before the mind. There is a reason he announced his retirement. I thought he was doing Wisconsin a favor by trying to coach for one last year after losing all the talent they lost. He could of retired on top, except for the lack of a national championship. I think they might have a good team this year, maybe six through nine in the conference, but I don't think they will be that good. If Bo has lost a step, his coming back might even hurt them in the future.

Well, however you said it you basically are coming off like he has lost something. Since he just went to back-to-back Final Fours he obviously hasn't. So I guess you are off in your analysis.

And if anyone thinks Wisconsin will finish in the sixth through ninth spots in the Big Ten, well, you are clueless.

Well, however you said it you basically are coming off like he has lost something. Since he just went to back-to-back Final Fours he obviously hasn't. So I guess you are off in your analysis.

And if anyone thinks Wisconsin will finish in the sixth through ninth spots in the Big Ten, well, you are clueless.

I'd be willing to bet ya that Bo finishes out of the top 4 in the B1G this year (I don't know if that means 5th place or 6th-9th place). I'm not going to go back and look at what Bo lost every other year, but I do know that this year he lost 2 players to the 1st round of the NBA draft, and lost 5 of his 7 man rotation. I doubt very much he has ever lost that much in a year that the B1G is going to be super strong again. What is their starting lineup going to be?
Koenig, Hayes and 2 FR (Pritzi, Illikainen) and a RS FR (Happ)?

Sure it could happen, but Bo is going to have to have a Big inside do what Wisconsin's bigs have never done, and that is be good as FR. Sure they are great as Jr and Sr, but none of them have been pressed into service as Fr.

Kaminsky (2, 4, 14, 19) PPG
Berggren (1, 2, 10.5, 11) PPG
Jon Leuer (3,8,15,18) PPG
Brian Butch (3, 10, 9,12) PPG

The only thing people bank on for Wisconsin finishing in the top 4 is that Bo is the coach. If you actually analyze what they have returning, then there is no way in the world they could be projected to finish top 4. So if you think I'm crazy for actually analyzing their team and what they have returning, vs basing everything off a coach, then go ahead and call me crazy. :D

Yeah, nothing like watching someone have a stroke. Whoo-hoo how entertaining.

Haha!

I mean this in the nicest most respectful way possible.... But if I happened to be watching a game where someone had the misfortune of having a stroke on live television I would prefer it were Bo Ryan. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Don't get me wrong, but if it HAD to happen to someone at least it would happen to Scrooge himself.

I'd be willing to bet ya that Bo finishes out of the top 4 in the B1G this year (I don't know if that means 5th place or 6th-9th place). I'm not going to go back and look at what Bo lost every other year, but I do know that this year he lost 2 players to the 1st round of the NBA draft, and lost 5 of his 7 man rotation. I doubt very much he has ever lost that much in a year that the B1G is going to be super strong again. What is their starting lineup going to be?

Sure it could happen, but Bo is going to have to have a Big inside do what Wisconsin's bigs have never done, and that is be good as FR. Sure they are great as Jr and Sr, but none of them have been pressed into service as Fr.

Kaminsky (2, 4, 14, 19) PPG
Berggren (1, 2, 10.5, 11) PPG
Jon Leuer (3,8,15,18) PPG
Brian Butch (3, 10, 9,12) PPG

The only thing people bank on for Wisconsin finishing in the top 4 is that Bo is the coach. If you actually analyze what they have returning, then there is no way in the world they could be projected to finish top 4. So if you think I'm crazy for actually analyzing their team and what they have returning, vs basing everything off a coach, then go ahead and call me crazy. :D

Bo is a good coach, and it remains to be seen if he is past his prime, but with what Wisconsin has coming back, the improvement of several teams including Iowa, and Maryland added to the conference, I doubt Bo finishes in the top six, but that's why they play the game. It would be nice if Iowa could play Wisconsin twice this year, but they only get them once. I have no idea how tough Wisconsin's schedule is. I'm not even sure how tough the Iowa schedule is.

If I had to guess, Barry talked him into inking one more class. In order to do that, he has to remain the coach for the players he recruits. Thus, 4-5 more years slipped out of his mouth.

One doesn't say they are hanging it up for no reason. Especially one almost 70.

If I had to guess, Barry talked him into inking one more class. In order to do that, he has to remain the coach for the players he recruits. Thus, 4-5 more years slipped out of his mouth.

One doesn't say they are hanging it up for no reason. Especially one almost 70.

I don't think Ryan wants to coach another year at all, he's just trying to leverage his guy Gard into getting the job. Ryan thinks Wisconsin owes it to him to have a very big say in who replaces him, Alvarez thinks their program is now at a place where they can do better than Greg Gard. I can see both sides' points of view. It's turning into a ******* contest between those two guys.

I also think there's a slight chance Bo resigns right before the season starts to ensure Gard gets the job at least on an interim basis. Although, I would think this would be more likely if Wisconsin had a better team returning.

If Ryan coaches long enough, chances are he will finish outside the top 4 of the league at some point. There have been lots of years where people predicted the fall of the Badgers, only to have them churn out another good season. I'm not as pessimistic about the Badgers' chances as others are. I COULD see a scenario where Badgers finish in lower half of the league, but wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top 4 or 5 either. Koenig and Hayes are very good, both probably underrated a bit. You are correct, in previous years they have had upperclassmen bigs who take big steps forward, where this year they need a younger guy to do that.

League will be interesting this year, that's for sure.

The cynic in me thinks that naming Gard as a replacement is a factor to be sure. Ryan made it known when he announced his "one more year" thing that Gard was his preference. The fact that Wisconsin hasn't named Gard the successor speaks loudly.

I would agree with Alvarez that the Wisconsin program could likely target a more high-profile coach than a Ryan assistant.

Can Alvarez even convince Bennett to leave Virginia?

Ryan might stay as a figure head coach while giving most of the real coaching duties to his assistant coach. Whatever Ryan decides to do it probably won't be the same at Wisconsin.

Latest posts