Looking to next year

USAFhawk

I have had a lot of people requesting information about the team, incoming recruits, schedule and lineup. This is really a slow time of the year as far as information because it's hard to actually get the whole team at one workout because of summer schedules to form an opinion. This info comes from conversations with coaches, wrestlers and of course my invaluable opinion.

I often get asked where McD is going next year weight wise, McD has told me several times he wants to be back @ 125. I think Andy Hamilton has stated this after talking to him also.

Tony Ramos is another hot topic. I have had several people tell me that they have heard he is close with McD and Moore, that's not the case. Ramos is a very good wrestler, but he is not at that level yet. Does he occasionally score on those guys, yes, but he is still playing catchup with those guys yet. He has also had some issues this summer, so it will be interesting to see where he is come the start of the season. I'm also not sure he could be a career 125.

Tyler Clark is also a hot topic. Clark could challenge Moore at 133, but right now Moore is the frontrunner for that weight. Tyler has been gearing up now knowing that this year actually "counts" for him and there is an opportunity for him. In hindsight if he didn't transfer he would be ISU's 125 or 133, but it sure is nice having him in the room.

People want to know who is going to fill 141 this year. Right now it looks like it's going to be Mark Ballweg. Mark is somewhat limited athletically, but he will have a little more success than Matt did at 157 a couple of years ago. Mark is a competitor and is chomping at the bit so to speak .

The 157/165 debate sparks a lot of debate and it's really not settled yet. DSJ is the main item of conversation when talking about these two weights. It still is up in the air where DSJ is going to go, but he has stated in the past he would like to go 165. He has been trying to bulk up, but that has gone a little slower than both sides would have liked. If he does go 165, it is not certain that Janssen and Kerr will make the cut again. Both have added quite a bit of weight during the offseason. If they don't make the cut then that will leave Matt Ballweg at 157. If DSJ goes 157 then that would leave Janssen and Kerr to do battle at 165.

I will echo many of the comments that have already been made about Ethan Lofthouse, the kid is a stud and will be a great wrestler. One of the hardest working kids on the team and DSJ has benefitted greatly from having him to work out with and vice versa.

Grant Gambrall has had a up and down summer and looks to be on the right track. He needs to be more consistent for this team to be a legitimate title contender.

There are a couple of contenders at 197 with Ambrose and Lofthouse. We know what we will get with Lofthouse and that is 110% effort. He is the most gifted athlete, but he has shown quite a bit of improvement over the summer. I know the coaches really like the potential of Ambrose, but he needs to get more mat time. He also needs to be more disciplined with his weight to be effective at 197.

At HWT Johnson and Rasing will battle here and I think Rasing will be the guy even though I think we could see Johnson win the head to head match up. Both guys would be solid choices, but Rasing's size will be a tough match up for a lot of HWT's.

As for the Freshman I have personally seen all but Telford. There are a lot of people hopeful that Dwieza can come in at 141, and I'm going to tell you that will not happen. First off Dwieza has a ways to go to be able to hold up physically at 141, he is SMALL right now. Second, even if he did beat Ballweg out he wouldn't be a vast improvement that would be a difference maker. Baldy is a impressive looking freshman, I have heard comparisons to Metcalf and I just don't see it and that would be being overly generous. No doubt he is very good he still has work to do and he has grown quite a bit since his junior year and will be looking to go 157. 149 is not out of the question according to someone I talked to recently, But it may be a stretch for him. Moore and Kelly will both be in the 157/165 range. Moore is not a big HS 160 so I think he will compete at the tougher events at 157, not sure on Kelly. Both have had injury issues so it will be interesting to see how their careers develop. Evans is going to be a solid wrestler at Iowa, but boy does he need to get better on his feet. The staff knew this coming in, but watching him against college level competition it really becomes apparent. I know his family has stated that he is going to go 174 this year, but he has a huge frame and the coaches have a plan for him going into the future. Can't say much about Telford as I haven't seen him in person, but he will need a year or two to get ready to go physically and technique wise.

As of now Iowa will not be at National Duals.

Thanks again for the GREAT info USA!!!! I Really appreciate it!!! I don't know what we would do without people like you and FF. I try to keep up but just don't have the time that you guys do!!!

With Ramos and Clark in there fighting with Moore it's really the iron sharpening the iron. Whichever of those three gets to the mat for Big 10s will have really battled to earned it.

THey have elected to not participate in the National Duals this year, which are held at UNI. They have yet to schedule anything in the place of the Duals yet.

THey have elected to not participate in the National Duals this year, which are held at UNI. They have yet to schedule anything in the place of the Duals yet.
That stinks! National Duals will suffer without Iowa's participation due to the large, enthusiastic fan base that follows the Hawks. I'm disappointed and hope there's a good reason (other than having a young team).

Don't give up on MM yet. He is still in the picture. Should have some news in next couple weeks.

I have had a lot of people requesting information about the team, incoming recruits, schedule and lineup. This is really a slow time of the year as far as information because it's hard to actually get the whole team at one workout because of summer schedules to form an opinion. This info comes from conversations with coaches, wrestlers and of course my invaluable opinion.

I often get asked where McD is going next year weight wise, McD has told me several times he wants to be back @ 125. I think Andy Hamilton has stated this after talking to him also.

Tony Ramos is another hot topic. I have had several people tell me that they have heard he is close with McD and Moore, that's not the case. Ramos is a very good wrestler, but he is not at that level yet. Does he occasionally score on those guys, yes, but he is still playing catchup with those guys yet. He has also had some issues this summer, so it will be interesting to see where he is come the start of the season. I'm also not sure he could be a career 125.

Tyler Clark is also a hot topic. Clark could challenge Moore at 133, but right now Moore is the frontrunner for that weight. Tyler has been gearing up now knowing that this year actually "counts" for him and there is an opportunity for him. In hindsight if he didn't transfer he would be ISU's 125 or 133, but it sure is nice having him in the room.

People want to know who is going to fill 141 this year. Right now it looks like it's going to be Mark Ballweg. Mark is somewhat limited athletically, but he will have a little more success than Matt did at 157 a couple of years ago. Mark is a competitor and is chomping at the bit so to speak .

The 157/165 debate sparks a lot of debate and it's really not settled yet. DSJ is the main item of conversation when talking about these two weights. It still is up in the air where DSJ is going to go, but he has stated in the past he would like to go 165. He has been trying to bulk up, but that has gone a little slower than both sides would have liked. If he does go 165, it is not certain that Janssen and Kerr will make the cut again. Both have added quite a bit of weight during the offseason. If they don't make the cut then that will leave Matt Ballweg at 157. If DSJ goes 157 then that would leave Janssen and Kerr to do battle at 165.

I will echo many of the comments that have already been made about Ethan Lofthouse, the kid is a stud and will be a great wrestler. One of the hardest working kids on the team and DSJ has benefitted greatly from having him to work out with and vice versa.

Grant Gambrall has had a up and down summer and looks to be on the right track. He needs to be more consistent for this team to be a legitimate title contender.

There are a couple of contenders at 197 with Ambrose and Lofthouse. We know what we will get with Lofthouse and that is 110% effort. He is the most gifted athlete, but he has shown quite a bit of improvement over the summer. I know the coaches really like the potential of Ambrose, but he needs to get more mat time. He also needs to be more disciplined with his weight to be effective at 197.

At HWT Johnson and Rasing will battle here and I think Rasing will be the guy even though I think we could see Johnson win the head to head match up. Both guys would be solid choices, but Rasing's size will be a tough match up for a lot of HWT's.

As for the Freshman I have personally seen all but Telford. There are a lot of people hopeful that Dwieza can come in at 141, and I'm going to tell you that will not happen. First off Dwieza has a ways to go to be able to hold up physically at 141, he is SMALL right now. Second, even if he did beat Ballweg out he wouldn't be a vast improvement that would be a difference maker. Baldy is a impressive looking freshman, I have heard comparisons to Metcalf and I just don't see it and that would be being overly generous. No doubt he is very good he still has work to do and he has grown quite a bit since his junior year and will be looking to go 157. 149 is not out of the question according to someone I talked to recently, But it may be a stretch for him. Moore and Kelly will both be in the 157/165 range. Moore is not a big HS 160 so I think he will compete at the tougher events at 157, not sure on Kelly. Both have had injury issues so it will be interesting to see how their careers develop. Evans is going to be a solid wrestler at Iowa, but boy does he need to get better on his feet. The staff knew this coming in, but watching him against college level competition it really becomes apparent. I know his family has stated that he is going to go 174 this year, but he has a huge frame and the coaches have a plan for him going into the future. Can't say much about Telford as I haven't seen him in person, but he will need a year or two to get ready to go physically and technique wise.

As of now Iowa will not be at National Duals.

I agree with your statement currently, but I think had Andrew Long not been removed from ISU's team, he would have kept Clark from that spot. And I do not think he is good enought o unseat Fanthorpe at 133, so he could have been out of luck.

Don't give up on MM yet. He is still in the picture. Should have some news in next couple weeks.
I'm not falling for this again. We already have an official release from Associate AD Fred Mims who said Montel has been permanently suspended. I won't believe any speculation until the University officially reverses their previous official release.

"Due to Montell's recent and previous violations of our student-athlete code of conduct, we have no choice at this point but to remove him from the Iowa wrestling program," said University of Iowa Associate Athletic Director for Student Services Fred Mims. "It is very unfortunate. Montell has demonstrated great potential as a student and a student-athlete. He is someone the program will miss greatly. We all hope he is able to overcome this situation and find success in whatever he decides to do."

From what I have heard from a very reliable source is that MM will never wrestle for Iowa again. I know people in the program are optimistic of his return, but they were about Slaton too.

I have heard that the 1/7/11 open date on the schedule could be used for the Virginia Duals. I have heard this a few times from reputable people, but nothing first hand so it's not as solid as other info I get. I usually don't post unless I believe it to be true, but this would be interesting conversation.

One other item to note before I shut up, I fully expect Destin McCauley to announce for Iowa sooner than later. One team has really come on strong, but I think its a done deal.

I have heard that the 1/7/11 open date on the schedule could be used for the Virginia Duals. I have heard this a few times from reputable people, but nothing first hand so it's not as solid as other info I get. I usually don't post unless I believe it to be true, but this would be interesting conversation.

If they go to the Virginia Duals instead of the national duals I cannot describe how upsetting that will be. I know they don't run their program to please me but that's just silly.

As of now Iowa will not be at National Duals.[/QUOTE]

This is such a long analysis that I really only want to address one thing. That is about Mike. Mike's walk around weight is 178, he wrestled 189 this past year weighing at the most 180 to 182, getting to 184 maybe a stretch, he appears to have a large frame but that it deceiving since he is slender and not as dense in body at of this point. Mike is hoping to go 174, he is comfortable at this weight and that is his desire, as he was recruited for 174 to 184 as for 197 - it is out of the question it isn't in the genes, trust me it isn't there.
You state that "Boy does he really have to improve on his feet" I will agree that of all the three positions this is an area that he already has improved in the Blair room and will improve on in the Iowa room for as long as you'll have him. I want to remind you that Campolattano is known for being good on his feet. That is exactly where Mike beat him "on his feet". I really don't know what college competition he has competed against to date to make a statement that it is apparent, however he is a dynamite when he is crackin a kids arm when he is on top. If I remember correctly riding time is very important so for Mike that is a good thing. Among other things Mike has heart and tenacity and those are good qualities. As a parent we all know where our kids weakness's are and it can get to us as we get ready to say goodbye for the next 5 years of thier lives. If our kids were perfect we wouldn't be having this discussion as to who would make the line up. Most if not all the incoming freshmen will redshirt and from a parents perspective we all hope so. These boys need to grow and get stronger and get a feel for what it will take to break into the line up and most of all -work hard and earn a spot on the team it will make it all the sweeter of a reward. But as these boys leave thier homes and leave thier parents please be supportive. Encourage them, come along side them and make them feel welcome and show them all that this is thier home. They all have other adjustments to make other then just the wresling room. They have adjustments in the class room, as well as being away from home as some will be coming from the East coast. Please be patient with these newcomers they are part of the future of Hawkeye wrestling. Thank you for letting us be part of a tradition we hope we won't dissapoint!

Last edited:
Newhawks: USAF is an established Iowa wrestling room "insider." He doesn't need me to speak for him but I will say I'm positive he meant no offense. Please understand he's not comparing Mike to the Campolattanos of the world--he's comparing them to college wrestling's elite. The Jay Borschels. The Phil Keddys. Mike is now up against a whole new level of athleticism and skill.

And if he's in the 180s now, wait until he's been training for 1 year plus under the Iowa S&C staff and a guy named Chris Doyle. Based on what you have said I think he's more likely to be at 184 in just over a year when he comes off redshirt.

NewHawks, my words were in no way an indictment against your kids abilities. I have known many of the Iowa Wrestlers and seen many come through this program. All came in with certain weaknesses, but through hard work many turned weaknesses into strengths. The beauty of this program is the transformation that Mike will take on with the help of the best coaching staff in the World. He will encounter the most knowledgeable fan base in the sport who will give him unparalleled support. I have been around this sport for a long time as a DI competitor, a coach and a fan. I can understand your frustration with some of my thoughts on Mike, but bottom line, I think he is going to be NCAA Champ caliber wrestler due to many of the strengths you talk about and also because I have faith in his work ethic and also the ability of the coaching staff to develop Mike. As for his weight, I have no idea where Mike will end up, but I do know the staff has a plan and although those can be fluid, they are well thought through. We just graduated our 197 and he too came in as a 174, my point is we have one of the best strength coaches in America and with 18 y/o men there can be a lot of growth when they go through the type of training your son is about to embark on. Thank you for your contribution to the boards and I encourage you to come back. Our coverage of Iowa Wrestling during the season is second to none here, and we have several members with very close ties to the program.

Latest posts