Looking at Iowa assitant Coaches Salaries...

if that is the case then we are getting the best d for the dollar, norm should be 1st or 2nd in pay for asst. coaches being the d co. wtf?
I guess thats why iowa had problems with some of its players years ago they saw that iowa was stealing so they thought they could too.

I'm guessing that Norm wanted it that way. The whole attitude of, "I'm just a dummy. The other coaches are the real brains behind the defense. Pay them more."

By the way, Phil Parker is not Norm's son

There was an article in the Gazette a few months back that had Norm and KOK at the same salary, either 225 or 275K a year.

Actually, it wasn't really an article, but a database of every state employee's salary.

We've been over this like five times already this offseason, but there are a number of mitigating factors. Already mentioned is the bonus issue and the fact that a salary for one year is not necessarily that person's average salary (if that makes sense). It has also been presumed that Norm makes less because he has fewer offseason responsibilities (recruiting and the like) due to health issues. Every time someone posts this it turns into a KOK vs. Norm value argument, when in reality their salaries do not allow for a straight up comparison.

in reality their salaries do not allow for a straight up comparison.

Exactly. O'Keefe has a significant role with respect to recruiting and retaining him on the staff is difficult because if you don't pay him enough, there are dozens of other schools that will. I know the defense is good, but the number of schools that would hire Norm Parker, notwithstanding how good of a coach he is, is limited due to his age and health condition. Two different markets, two different sets of responsibilities. Move along people, nothing to see here.

Exactly. O'Keefe has a significant role with respect to recruiting and retaining him on the staff is difficult because if you don't pay him enough, there are dozens of other schools that will. I know the defense is good, but the number of schools that would hire Norm Parker, notwithstanding how good of a coach he is, is limited due to his age and health condition. Two different markets, two different sets of responsibilities. Move along people, nothing to see here.

Ha. Don't drag me down with you:).

We've been over this like five times already this offseason, but there are a number of mitigating factors. Already mentioned is the bonus issue and the fact that a salary for one year is not necessarily that person's average salary (if that makes sense). It has also been presumed that Norm makes less because he has fewer offseason responsibilities (recruiting and the like) due to health issues. Every time someone posts this it turns into a KOK vs. Norm value argument, when in reality their salaries do not allow for a straight up comparison.

Exactly. Old news.

So what you're saying is he should get Kirk's salary?

Kirk is paid for, among other things, finding and keeping talent like Doyle. Doyle has a smaller number of responsibilities and should be paid for those. But if he is offered something by another university, Iowa should offer better.