Looking at Hawkeye History in AP Top 10 Games

Interesting article. It's too bad they didn't have a 4 team playoff back in 1960 as Iowa may have won it.

Nostalgia set in via this very cool article. First, I listened to Iowa’s 60’s games on the radio with my Dad and Phil, his hunting partner, who was a Gopher fan. The good natured insults flew fast, and many NW Iowa pheasants bit the dust. I knew the names of every Iowa football player, their positions, and many of their stats.

Around 1972, I interviewed for a job at CR Kennedy teaching English. Job offer came through. The head football coach at Kennedy was Jerry Mauren, and he hired me onto his coaching staff. Hell of a football player, and an even better person, coach, and teacher. Some of the best times of my long career as an educator.
A few years later, I had a discipline conference with a youngster at McKinley (nothing serious). The next day, the kid’s dad made an appointment to see me. In walked Wilburn Hollis. I looked desperately for an escape route.
His comments began with, “I can assure you my son will never be a problem again.” He wasn’t.
Great memories are treasures, even small one’s.

Nostalgia set in via this very cool article. First, I listened to Iowa’s 60’s games on the radio with my Dad and Phil, his hunting partner, who was a Gopher fan. The good natured insults flew fast, and many NW Iowa pheasants bit the dust. I knew the names of every Iowa football player, their positions, and many of their stats.

Around 1972, I interviewed for a job at CR Kennedy teaching English. Job offer came through. The head football coach at Kennedy was Jerry Mauren, and he hired me onto his coaching staff. Hell of a football player, and an even better person, coach, and teacher. Some of the best times of my long career as an educator.
A few years later, I had a discipline conference with a youngster at McKinley (nothing serious). The next day, the kid’s dad made an appointment to see me. In walked Wilburn Hollis. I looked desperately for an escape route.
His comments began with, “I can assure you my son will never be a problem again.” He wasn’t.
Great memories are treasures, even small one’s.
I believe Wilburn Hollis is still alive.

I think Jerry is, too. I know Char, his lovely wife, has passed. BTW, Bernie Wyatt, one of the best recruiters ever, as well as a fine player at Iowa, was a contemporary and friend of Jerry’s. When Bernie followed Barry Alvarez to Wisconsin, he brought a bunch of RB’s and other quality recruits to WI.

I believe Wilburn Hollis is still alive.
I was just reading up about him, I believe he is still alive.

"Only" 80, which, anymore, with the right level of self-care and clean living, really isn't particularly old.

Rob's article was a great read. So many great Hawkeye memories and, it seems, always more to learn about.