Look at these defensive and offensive national ranking numbers over last 10 years

tate and banks both had great movement to by time to make a throw, so that sure helps. but, these are some staggering numbers for sure. if we could just score some more points...

Tate looks better and better in hindsight as we (you...I already knew it) discover how inept and incompetent our offensive coaching has been.

I would have to think that the most common phrase in the Iowa huddle coming from a savvy quarterback's mouth would be "OK. We're not running that..."

Loved this post...I can just see Tate doing this!

By scoring defense are you talking points allowed? The only two stats that matter in regards to defense are points allowed and takeaways.

By scoring defense are you talking points allowed? The only two stats that matter in regards to defense are points allowed and takeaways.

Yes points allowed. I disagree that the two defensive categories you've listed above are "the only two stats" that matter in regards to defense. I have a feeling most people on this board would also disagree with your comment.

I'd love to know what other stats matter.

3rd down defense would have to be right up there, since being bad at that typically means your scoring defense isn't too hot. It certainly keeps the defense on the field too much if it can't get stops on 3rd down.

I'd say you have a point. I can see where points allowed to 3rd down conversion percentage. However, you could still have a high 3rd down conversion rate and not allow many points.

I'd say you have a point. I can see where points allowed to 3rd down conversion percentage. However, you could still have a high 3rd down conversion rate and not allow many points.

That's probably a pretty rare thing, though. That'd be a ridiculously good "bend but don't break" defense if they gave up a high 3rd down conversion rate, but not a lot of points. The only way that happens is if the offense is like Northwestern, and converts 4 or 5 3rd downs on one scoring drive. But there's not THAT many offenses that nickel and dime their way down the field like that.

Hold on there. Are you saying:

(1) that Ferentz's coaching style is unacceptable to you (Ferentz has kept KOK on all these years so a valid assumption would be that Ferentz likes KOK's performance, and you insinuate that Ferentz is incapable of firing KOK)?

(2) that the scoring defense and LACK of effectiveness in the 4th quarter of this year's team helped to translate to more wins and less losses?

(3) that Iowa's defense is well equipped to stop one-on-one offenses like passing offenses, and spread offenses?

(3B) that it's OK that Iowa loses or struggles against any Big Ten opponent that uses a spread, passing, or one-on-one offense - it's easier to point out Iowa's Big Ten opponents that don't use those offenses: Penn State, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Michigan State - has Iowa's defense become outmoded?

Finally, this crap about Iowa's bend but don't break defense: in crucial situations, it seems long passes are being completed all the time. When defensive gaps are broken down, the defense gives up long runs because there is inadequate speed on defense.

Last edited:

Latest posts