Lol

Iowa’s six most-used players other than Fran’s sons had a combined 1 power conference offer (DePaul) … and they won a Big Ten Tournament Championship. If you have multiple low-ranked classes, you better have an insane hit rate on under-the-radar players, and they did.

Iowa’s six most-used players other than Fran’s sons had a combined 1 power conference offer (DePaul) … and they won a Big Ten Tournament Championship. If you have multiple low-ranked classes, you better have an insane hit rate on under-the-radar players, and they did.
As crazy as it is with the Murray boys and they are the craziest example one could come up with it's not just them. Fran wasn't beating out other BIG teams for Perkins (I would imagine he'd have rather went to Indiana or Purdue if he had offers) JBo it goes without saying and JT didn't have any big offers.

Fran has a roster of misfit toys just about. Sandfort I bet had some offers but no blue bloods but he's still a true freshman. It's beyond impressive what Fran has done to get program where it is. Frans true gift is for recognizing talent and being able to get guys to buy into roles. The whole benching JT and putting Perkins in the lineup coulda went the other way. JT coulda been a malcontent. But he's been anything but that. JT is one of my favorite dudes. His attitude and non stop effort is a testament to his character. Even if he's frustrated and not happy he doesn't let it affect how he conducts himself. What else can you ask of a guy?

JBo was an ESPN 4*...seems hard to believe he had no other offers. JT was either player of the year in New York City, or runner-up. You would have thought somebody else would have wanted him. Tony Perkins killed it his senior year at a power high school in Indiana en route to a championshiop...once again, somebody should have wanted his game. Makes you think, that once Fran makes the offer, maybe it scares everyone else away.

I think interest in the Murrays was picking up when Fran swooped in. I know Bruce Pearl and Auburn were getting ready to make a move. To Fran's credit, he beat everybody to the punch and closed the deal.

Sandfort had offers from Minnesota, Stanford and Utah as well as strong mid-majors in Drake and Loyola.

Ulis and Bohannon had DePaul but I would argue that the mid-major offers held by Perkins and Toussaint came from stronger programs than DePaul.

The point of the Tweet is a good one, however. Fran can identify and develop talent.

The question is...............is it the players making Fran's system good or is it the system and freedom making the players good?

The question is...............is it the players making Fran's system good or is it the system and freedom making the players good?
I think interest in the Murrays was picking up when Fran swooped in. I know Bruce Pearl and Auburn were getting ready to make a move. To Fran's credit, he beat everybody to the punch and closed the deal.

Sandfort had offers from Minnesota, Stanford and Utah as well as strong mid-majors in Drake and Loyola.

Ulis and Bohannon had DePaul but I would argue that the mid-major offers held by Perkins and Toussaint came from stronger programs than DePaul.

The point of the Tweet is a good one, however. Fran can identify and develop talent.

I would say Fran has his best collection of arc shooters in his 12 years. That opens things up for the offense. Perkins has become one of Fran's best drive it to the rim, bend the defense players (which is the type of player you may have seen that I have argued is Fran's big weakness). The play late against Indiana where Perkins got an IU turnover and pushed it hard to the free throw line at the Iowa end totally got all the IU players turned and looking at him. And what does he do after he sucks them toward him but a nice pivot and pass to JBo to jumpstart JBo's explosion of treys.

I really hope JoeT can become a little better at finishing at the rim and having that threat. Because when you run offense and have a couple of guys who can drive, break down and bend a defense, and then either lay it in or kick to one of several good arc shooters, you can have a hell of an offensive team.

Fran and KF share the trait of finding under the radar guys that fit the system, and then developing the shit out of them. They kind of have to go that route, because neither Fran nor KF cheat.

That said, Fran has landed some heralded kids too. Cook, Woodbury, Gessell were all pretty big time recruits. The PG coming in is a stud. Success opens doors.

Fran and KF share the trait of finding under the radar guys that fit the system, and then developing the shit out of them. They kind of have to go that route, because neither Fran nor KF cheat.

That said, Fran has landed some heralded kids too. Cook, Woodbury, Gessell were all pretty big time recruits. The PG coming in is a stud. Success opens doors.

Yes, Gesell could handle and pass, could penetrate but had a hard time finishing at the rim, but he could bend a defense. If Gesell had been a better, more consistent 15 to 22 foot jump shooter he would have been so much more of a positive player.

Remember all the "we are back" stuff on here after they landed Woodbury? There was one poster, I forget his name, that trolled us with it for a long time.

I would say Fran has his best collection of arc shooters in his 12 years. That opens things up for the offense. Perkins has become one of Fran's best drive it to the rim, bend the defense players (which is the type of player you may have seen that I have argued is Fran's big weakness). The play late against Indiana where Perkins got an IU turnover and pushed it hard to the free throw line at the Iowa end totally got all the IU players turned and looking at him. And what does he do after he sucks them toward him but a nice pivot and pass to JBo to jumpstart JBo's explosion of treys.

I really hope JoeT can become a little better at finishing at the rim and having that threat. Because when you run offense and have a couple of guys who can drive, break down and bend a defense, and then either lay it in or kick to one of several good arc shooters, you can have a hell of an offensive team.
That dribble drive Perkins had where he made a quick perfect bounce pass to Josh O for his and 1 was a great play too. Being able to dribble drive and make good decisions and plays is everything in basketball. I wish PM would watch some of Perkins tape because he likes to dribble left into the lane and take tough floating shots. Perkins does it but more under control and is able to convert them at a higher rate I bet. I just love Perkins game he plays hard and fast but under control.

Remember all the "we are back" stuff on here after they landed Woodbury? There was one poster, I forget his name, that trolled us with it for a long time.
Not sure what there was to troll. Gessell and Woddbury may not have lived up to all of the hype they had coming out of high school, but they were both 4 year starters who paved the way for Iowa to climb out of the Lick Dumpster fire and back into the NCAA tournament.

I think Fran's best attribute is instilling confidence in his players. I also think that has something to do with the two late season collapses he had. The team was playing better than their abilities because they were confident. As the seasons went on and some things happened to shake their confidence, they lost their advantage and started playing closer to their actual abilities. That wasn't good enough to beat teams that were giving their best efforts because we were ranked so high. That's why the two "Fran fades" only came during the years we snuck up on teams and got ranked really high.

Hopefully, after the conclusion of this tournament, Fran will not have to worry to much about having the bulk of his future rosters as under the radar.....as spectacular as this one has been turning out. At least hopefully he can land some more highly regarded recruits in key areas needed.