Logan Lee to DE?

Still hope he starts at and stays a TE... Surely we can recruit some more DEs. I think we just had a new commit from a D2 school the other day.
Let's put it this way. Would any of you wanted TJ to have moved to DE? I didn't think so.

Still hope he starts at and stays a TE... Surely we can recruit some more DEs. I think we just had a new commit from a D2 school the other day.
Let's put it this way. Would any of you wanted TJ to have moved to DE? I didn't think so.

i obviously have no inside info, but i do believe Lee wants to be TE and he said as much in an interview. he said that THE reason he came to Iowa was to be a TE. he said that if he was going to play DE, he could have gone to any other school but picked iowa specifically to be a TE.

i obviously have no inside info, but i do believe Lee wants to be TE and he said as much in an interview. he said that THE reason he came to Iowa was to be a TE. he said that if he was going to play DE, he could have gone to any other school but picked iowa specifically to be a TE.
Yeah so if day one this summer when he comes in if coaches were to ask him to try DE he'd be apt to say show me the way to the transfer portal... So yeah if what your saying is true that decision has already been made.

Yeah so if day one this summer when he comes in if coaches were to ask him to try DE he'd be apt to say show me the way to the transfer portal... So yeah if what your saying is true that decision has already been made.

that'd be what i'm thinking also. so, he's at least going to start at TE and go from there.

So Lee is going to win the Mackey and be projected as a Top 10 pick (Kiper has T.J. - 8)?

The knock on Lee has been speed, which is why many other schools considered him a DE prospect. I don’t think TJ’s speed was ever a concern plus he reporedtly has a big vertical, so he’s fairly athletic as a TE, just maybe not as athletic at Fant.

So no I wouldn’t want TJ at DE, but that has absolutely nothing to do with Lee. The good news is I think Lee will be a high quality player at either position Iowa puts him.

As you noted Iowa just landed a 2 year transfer at DE and has offered a ton of DEs in the 2020 and 2021 classes, so it’s looking likely that Lee remains at TE which is fine. I think him and Miamen will be a nice combo.

TJ came on campus at about 220 lbs. Lee will come on campus at 250 lbs.

I like the thought of him as TE as well, I think his slightly hyperbolic ceiling is HKC receiving in an Ike Boetger body, which would be awesome. However, I think Iowa has more confidence in its ability to manufacture an elite TE than to manufacture an elite OT or DT. I think Lee has the potential to be elite at those positions as well.

TJ came on campus at about 220 lbs. Lee will come on campus at 250 lbs.

I like the thought of him as TE as well, I think his slightly hyperbolic ceiling is HKC receiving in an Ike Boetger body, which would be awesome. However, I think Iowa has more confidence in its ability to manufacture an elite TE than to manufacture an elite OT or DT. I think Lee has the potential to be elite at those positions as well.
I think he could be all that and a bag of chips too at those other spots. Just because he's 250 now doesn't mean he wouldn't just do what it takes to maintain and sculpt himself to just be the best 250ish lb version of himself he could be. It doesn't automatically mean it'll be tough for him to not put on 30 more lbs. I'm not sure how quick and fast he is. But I think he can be an absolute difference making stud. We'd use him more than we did HKC. Who I also liked. He just wasn't really featured all that much. I think Logan would be a bigger difference maker sooner at TE with how our depth chart currently is. Which has got to have him salivating. We'll see him play this year I bet and the over under is that new 4 games deal...

So Lee is going to win the Mackey and be projected as a Top 10 pick (Kiper has T.J. - 8)?

The knock on Lee has been speed, which is why many other schools considered him a DE prospect. I don’t think TJ’s speed was ever a concern plus he reporedtly has a big vertical, so he’s fairly athletic as a TE, just maybe not as athletic at Fant.

So no I wouldn’t want TJ at DE, but that has absolutely nothing to do with Lee. The good news is I think Lee will be a high quality player at either position Iowa puts him.

As you noted Iowa just landed a 2 year transfer at DE and has offered a ton of DEs in the 2020 and 2021 classes, so it’s looking likely that Lee remains at TE which is fine. I think him and Miamen will be a nice combo.
I'm saying I think Lee will be a difference making TE and we just so happen to feature the TE position a ton (especially lately) Maybe he won't be a top 10 or even a 1st pick in the NFL to make what I'm saying true. I'm just saying you don't move an absolutely difference making player to the other side of the ball in this way when you have a multitude of other options. If AJE was the only other DE on the roster or something and that position ended up like our RB position did back when they all got hurt that's one thing. But not in this situation. The kid could play significant snaps right away if he's as good as the hype at TE. I don't think he'll start day 1. We do have other bodies in Weiting, Cook and Beyer that have been around. But I'd say the competition is clearly open and even if he were to RS this year he'll play in yr 2 a ton which is still ahead of schedule for most.

These were the same questions posed when Fant was coming to Iowa and whether he'd play tight end or defensive end, hopefully this ends with a similar result.

Must be pleased with the depth at TE at least, though we do need more DEs right now.
Nothing in that article really touches on a coach saying Lee is at DE. I don’t think Lee enrolled early so I’m confused at where that is coming from I guess.

Obviously I started this thread speculating this could happen so it wouldn’t be that surprising. We had two other TEs in this class and are in on several good looking TEs for 2020.

Nothing in that article really touches on a coach saying Lee is at DE. I don’t think Lee enrolled early so I’m confused at where that is coming from I guess.

Obviously I started this thread speculating this could happen so it wouldn’t be that surprising. We had two other TEs in this class and are in on several good looking TEs for 2020.
Could be just spring experiments too, I guess.

Supposedly Jones is running some drills with the DEs, but I doubt that sticks due to his height. Mansell ran some with the WRs the other day as well, though mainly due to some guys being temporarily out.

Supposedly Jones is running some drills with the DEs, but I doubt that sticks due to his height. Mansell ran some with the WRs the other day as well, though mainly due to some guys being temporarily out.
That’s my point though, Lee isn’t at Iowa yet as far as I know.

We have seen this movie before.

I said it last year that I would be surprised if Petras doesn't break fall camp as the backup.

Petras is O'Keefe's recruit, Mansell was Davis, and a big, tall immobile qb that Kirk seemingly prefers. And he could end up being very good too.

If so, then expect another qb transfer??

Latest posts