Logan Lee to DE?

NikeHawk21

I’m starting to think that’s where he ends up. It sounds like the idea has at least been tossed around.

Q: Looking ahead to Iowa, what have you heard as of late from the coaches as far as position and what the opportunity is like for you coming in?

LEE: Nothing new recently. Last I heard was tight end and a little defensive end talk, but they will tell me where they need me when I get there.

I think like Tyler Linderbaum this year, Lee is one of those kids that will be very good at whichever side of the ball you put him on, maybe this will be the offense’s repayment for Tyler.

Lee has great size/strength for either position. The one thing separating him from being a blue chip type TE prospect reportedly was top end speed, which is a little less important at DE. He had 14 sacks this year and missed 5 games.

To me defensive line is the second most important position group on the field (behind QB). As we saw this year having a great and deep Dline makes it so much easier on the rest of the defense. I think we could pair Lee with Waggoner and have two really strong ends down the road.

As for the TE position we just brought in two other guys on top of Lee and we are recruiting at least a couple good looking TEs for the 2020 class as well. I have to imagine the exposure from T.J. and Fant this year will help our cause on the recruiting trail going forward.

Wherever he ends up I think we got a really good player, but im thinking the coaches might move Lee to DE.

I hope not. After hearing about him and seeing some of his film the kid looks like a TJH part 2... So no if he can possibly play right away (which we very well may need) at TE then I hope he stays there. Our offense has been predicated on our TEs being stand out studs. I think he's the best of the 3 TEs we are bringing in. So no get some other DEs in but let's not move him over

One other name I’ve heard mentioned as a possibility to slide down to DE was Jack Campbell. He’s got the size for it as well and we’ve recruited LB pretty well recently.

I hope not. After hearing about him and seeing some of his film the kid looks like a TJH part 2... So no if he can possibly play right away (which we very well may need) at TE then I hope he stays there. Our offense has been predicated on our TEs being stand out studs. I think he's the best of the 3 TEs we are bringing in. So no get some other DEs in but let's not move him over
That’s the one question mark. KF mentioned three guys for PT next year but two are seniors. Meaning in 2020 at least one of these incoming guys is going to have to be ready. Laporta seems more like a project who needs to put on the size. Lee probably the most college ready so you make a solid point.

The coaches have talked with Campbell about potentially being an end depending on how his body develops. I think Dillon Doyle also has the frame to do it.

I'm torn on Lee. I think he'll be good at either spot. I would like for him to get a shot at TE for a time. I trust the defensive coaches to develop other guys into productive DEs. Iowa needs as many playmakers as possible on offense.

The coaches have talked with Campbell about potentially being an end depending on how his body develops. I think Dillon Doyle also has the frame to do it.

I'm torn on Lee. I think he'll be good at either spot. I would like for him to get a shot at TE for a time. I trust the defensive coaches to develop other guys into productive DEs. Iowa needs as many playmakers as possible on offense.
That’s a good point. We’ve historically been very solid on defense and don’t see that changing.

On paper our QB room looks pretty solid going forward. Would be nice to have as many toys for them as possible on offense going forward.

lee has also said that he came to iowa specifically because it is the best TE school. period. he said he could play at any other school to be a DE. so, i'd say leave him at TE and let the competition decide.

lee has also said that he came to iowa specifically because it is the best TE school. period. he said he could play at any other school to be a DE. so, i'd say leave him at TE and let the competition decide.
Unless something drastic happens I think because Lee is focused on being a TE and because the staff see him there for the most part that is where he will play. I don't think the concerns about speed are that big a deal. He can get open, catch the ball and carry tacklers and that is a pretty good start. See if he sees time next year.

First we should determine if Lee is a true tight end or merely a "specialty" player, which might limit his play to two series a half.

The trend at Iowa in the past has been to turn TE’s into OT’s and DE’s into DT’s and I don’t see that philosophy changing much knowing KF’s tendencies.

The trend at Iowa in the past has been to turn TE’s into OT’s and DE’s into DT’s and I don’t see that philosophy changing much knowing KF’s tendencies.

Well, that’s only part of the truth. I think the trend to turning TE’s into OT’s is done after evaluating if the kid can catch and run at a high enough level. If not, then THAT is when they get moved. Same on DE’s if the coaches determined that the DE doesn’t have the speed, explosiveness, instincts, etc. to be a DE, THAT is when they move a guy to DT.

Not just happening the day they walk in the door.

What a monster.

Just won his 2nd state wrestling championship (at 220 as a soph, at 285 as a senior this year). I thought for sure this guy was destined to be a future 1st rd pick as an OT, but after he won "best receiver" awards at some fairly prestigious camps, I am not sure what to expect. He will step on campus as big as any of our other TEs, and just as nasty. He could end up a 270 lb TE that blocks like a 3rd OT and can still keep a defense honest as a receiving threat.

Lee will succeed where ever he ends up. He'll start at TE where he wants to play and as others have pointed out its about evaluation once with the team and practicing. I personally think he can make a great TE and does not need to add a ton of weight. If it can't be helped his role with likely change some. Never know what happens with our ability to bring in TE recruits and the players cycling through the DL.

We need to get the ball into the hands of our most talented skill players. All the time.

So basically, you are saying we may need to change our QB. :) The only way to get the ball to our most talented players is to throw it to them when they are open with catchable balls.

Latest posts