Little something off the Hoosier WebSite

HwkFn4Life

IU depth chart changes

By Nathan Hart | IDS football writer
Posted at 4:54 pm on October 26, 2009 | Print | Share | Comments (0)

IU released its depth chart for its upcoming game against Iowa and it includes a handful of changes.
  • CB Adrian Burks will get his first start of the season as he moves ahead of Richard Council. Neither Chris Adkins nor Donnell Jones appear on the depth chart for the second straight weeks – both are out with elbow injuries.
  • LB Leon Beckum slides into the backup linebacker position behind Matt Mayberry. Beckum returns from a lingering ankle injury that has kept him out of several games this season. Starting LB Will Patterson is not listed, which means he may miss his second straight game with a hand injury.
  • K Nick Ford is listed as the backup behind Nick Freeland, which may mean freshman Mitch Ewald was officially redshirted for this season.
Apparently there a little thin and young at Cornerback spot and banged up at LB. How bout we try and expose that this weekend.

Last edited:
And then, the same writer posted this.....
Big Ten power rankings, week 8

Posted at 1:09 pm on October 26, 2009 | Print | Share | Comments (2)
Is Penn State the best team in the Big Ten? If Iowa wins out, will they be left out of the national championship game? What are your thoughts on the state of the Big Ten?
On to the rankings. Last week’s rank in parentheses.
1. (2) Penn State (3-1, 7-1) – How can I rank Penn State above Iowa? These power rankings are based on how well a team is playing right now, so hear me out. Iowa deserves to be ranked higher in the BCS standings, but Penn State has won its last two games by a combined score of 55-10, including a win at the Big House. Iowa, meanwhile, was stuck in an ugly 6-6 game in the 4th quarter and barely escaped with a win.
2. (1) Iowa (4-0, 8-0) – Let’s review Iowa’s last four games. A 24-21 scare against Arkansas State. A two-point home win against Michigan. A comeback win against unranked Wisconsin. A last-second TD to beat Michigan State. For most teams, that stretch would be just fine. But if Iowa wants to compete as the best team in college football (i.e. play in the national championship), than it can’t play to its opponent’s level.
Follow the jump for the rest of the rankings.

And then, the same writer posted this.....
Big Ten power rankings, week 8

Posted at 1:09 pm on October 26, 2009 | Print | Share | Comments (2)
Is Penn State the best team in the Big Ten? If Iowa wins out, will they be left out of the national championship game? What are your thoughts on the state of the Big Ten?
On to the rankings. Last week’s rank in parentheses.
1. (2) Penn State (3-1, 7-1) – How can I rank Penn State above Iowa? These power rankings are based on how well a team is playing right now, so hear me out. Iowa deserves to be ranked higher in the BCS standings, but Penn State has won its last two games by a combined score of 55-10, including a win at the Big House. Iowa, meanwhile, was stuck in an ugly 6-6 game in the 4th quarter and barely escaped with a win.
2. (1) Iowa (4-0, 8-0) – Let’s review Iowa’s last four games. A 24-21 scare against Arkansas State. A two-point home win against Michigan. A comeback win against unranked Wisconsin. A last-second TD to beat Michigan State. For most teams, that stretch would be just fine. But if Iowa wants to compete as the best team in college football (i.e. play in the national championship), than it can’t play to its opponent’s level.
Follow the jump for the rest of the rankings.

Its tough to judge how two teams are playing when they aren't playing each other Mr. IDS football writer.

Big time defensive battles just aren't sexy for the pundits. Big scores open eyes. Too bad. I'll re-watch Iowa/MSU over Penn State/Michigan anyday.

But if Iowa wants to compete as the best team in college football (i.e. play in the national championship), than it can’t play to its opponent’s level.

What does this saying really mean? Iowa has played above its opposition every game, otherwise it wouldn't have a perfect record. If our opponent is a 6 out of 10, we've played at 6.1. If our opponent is 9.5 out of 10, we've played at 9.6. I don't see what is wrong with that. I'd rather do that than play at a steady 8 every week and get pantsed by the 9.5 and destroy the 6. Right?

Latest posts