Linebacker Changes

I doubt we see Derby as LB this year, unless it's garbage time, not sure who that will be against. he'll be learning all year.

Also, who says Kirksey can't move back to WILL if Derby does take over LEO. Perhaps he is better than Morris.

Both need to add size, and I think they will

I doubt we see Derby as LB this year, unless it's garbage time, not sure who that will be against. he'll be learning all year.

Also, who says Kirksey can't move back to WILL if Derby does take over LEO. Perhaps he is better than Morris.

Both need to add size, and I think they will

...careful, I was ripped when suggesting that I'd like to see Morris at fullBack given his HS days as a running back

I know, I know, he's from Solon....he's only a sophomore....his dad works with the team....

How dare I question his LB potential?

With all of the other adjustments made, I was thinking that he may have the skills to succeed here. Our starter is solid, but there are potential health concerns.

Last edited:
I know, I know, he's from Solon....he's only a sophomore....his dad works with the team....

Umm actually none of those things you mentioned is why you're foolish for questioning his lb potential, his play the last two years would be why you're foolish for questioning it. He was our best lb last year as a freshman. Of course he was our only semi-healthy one, but, ya know.

kirksey is a linebacker, will be a linebacker, and is going to be one of our starting linebackers till his days at iowa are over. Morris is a linebacker, will be a linebacker, and will be a starting linebacker at iowa till his days at iowa are over. They're both that good. I think you guys are reading way too much into the nielsen/morris move. Fairly confident he'll be back at the middle next season. kirksey one of the outsides, and the other outside manned by one of the 50 people mentioned on this thread. probably alston to start the season. nielsen is are most experienced linebacker, we suck against the run right now as a defensive team, thats why he's playing middle.

Still going with my assessment of Alston's play. While it has been limited, I haven't seen the breakdowns by him that I have seen from the others.

Also, GameFilm has cautiously indicated similar sentiments. Time will tell, but I see him ending up reminding us all of Hodge in the long run.

Wait and watch.

With all of the other adjustments made, I was thinking that he may have the skills to succeed here. Our starter is solid, but there are potential health concerns.

Yes because he is from solon is everyones only reason that James should stick to LB over FB

Umm actually none of those things you mentioned is why you're foolish for questioning his lb potential, his play the last two years would be why you're foolish for questioning it. He was our best lb last year as a freshman. Of course he was our only semi-healthy one, but, ya know.

kirksey is a linebacker, will be a linebacker, and is going to be one of our starting linebackers till his days at iowa are over. Morris is a linebacker, will be a linebacker, and will be a starting linebacker at iowa till his days at iowa are over. They're both that good. I think you guys are reading way too much into the nielsen/morris move. Fairly confident he'll be back at the middle next season. kirksey one of the outsides, and the other outside manned by one of the 50 people mentioned on this thread. probably alston to start the season. nielsen is are most experienced linebacker, we suck against the run right now as a defensive team, thats why he's playing middle.

The tallest midget contest...;)

At the risk of being overly critical of a player, it seems like he may be overwhelmed at LB.

The tallest midget contest...;)

At the risk of being overly critical of a player, it seems like he may be overwhelmed at LB.

he's played hurt for the past two weeks, was barely good enough to go in there, yeah he probably was a little overwhelmed. We played bigger olines and better teams last year and he wasn't overwhelmed as a freshman, i'm guessing he's bigger now. I'll just agree to disagree with you since we are definitely watching two different slates of games over the last two years i guess.

Seems like teams really struggle in the first year after switching from a 4/3 to a 3/4. And 3/4s really require a monster at the NT position to be successful. Iowa does not have anyone for that role.

Not to mention that spread teams STILL run the ball. If we are ineffective against the run with 4 DL, it won't be any better with 3 DL. Unless, of course, we make 2 of the LBs "de facto" DL....which would render them useless against the pass.

People forget how woeful Michigan's 3-3-5 was...

It would be nice to have a Dlineman who COULD play some NT in certain situations, but as long as we don't, 3-4 is out of the question as a base defense

funny how quickly the people turn on players, Morris the next great LB coming out of HS now he isn't good enough to be on the field, Derby get him on the field now as LB while he was a QB, now its wait til next year as he has to much to learn, no matter the skill level of a LB nobody is going to look good against a 300 lb O-L, the problem lies with the D-L not keeping the O-L occupied to let the LB do their job;
others, myself included thought Morris is better suited for the Will lb spot, and somebody has to sit, and we do need depth,

Kirksey has been our best LB...and he is the one without a job?

Yeah really, the guys is over 10 tackles a game and he's the odd one out for a 2nd string qb that has one tackle to his name? Geez, that's fair. i wish I played for coaches like you...

funny how quickly the people turn on players, Morris the next great LB coming out of HS now he isn't good enough to be on the field, Derby get him on the field now as LB while he was a QB, now its wait til next year as he has to much to learn, no matter the skill level of a LB nobody is going to look good against a 300 lb O-L, the problem lies with the D-L not keeping the O-L occupied to let the LB do their job;
others, myself included thought Morris is better suited for the Will lb spot, and somebody has to sit, and we do need depth,

Yeah, what player CAN please HN?

Latest posts