Linebacker Changes

CAARHawk

Banned
Haven't seen this talked about.

I see the linebacker changes as writing on the wall of this future.

WILL - Good move to shift Morris over to this position. He works much better off the edge and has the speed to cover in space. Beyond that, he gets too easily bogged down in the muck in the middle.

MIKE - Neilson is just a place holder for the future, which is Alston. In fact, if that future doesn't start at some point fairly early on Saturday, Shoelace will throw his name in the hat for B1G MVP.

LEO - I just don't ever see Kirksey developing the size to effectively hold the end. Which means, they are positioning things for Derby to take over at this spot next season.

Haven't seen this talked about.

WILL - Good move to shift Morris over to this position. He works much better off the edge and has the speed to cover in space. Beyond that, he gets too easily bogged down in the muck in the middle.

MIKE - Neilson is just a place holder for the future, which is Alston. In fact, if that future doesn't start at some point fairly early on Saturday, Shoelace will throw his name in the hat for B1G MVP.

LEO - I just don't ever see Kirksey developing the size to effectively hold the end. Which means, they are positioning things for Derby to take over at this spot next season.
I like this CaarHawk, but what do you think happens to Kirksey? Is he fast enough to play SS?

I like this CaarHawk, but what do you think happens to Kirksey? Is he fast enough to play SS?

Sorry to answer someone else's question but I don't think he is. I agree with CaarHawk's assessment that it will be Morris, Nielsen and Derby. Unfortunately Kirksey will be the odd man out.

WILL - Good move to shift Morris over to this position. He works much better off the edge and has the speed to cover in space. Beyond that, he (Morris) gets too easily bogged down in the muck in the middle.

MIKE - Neilson is just a place holder for the future, which is Alston.

How's Neilsen going to extricate (finally spelled it wright) himself from the "muck in the middle" with just one hand?

Last edited:
No.
Kirksey is going to get bigger and he will be fine. Like Ferentz said, some of the guys in previous years had the benefit of having a redshirt year to get bigger and stronger but Kirksey and Morris haven't had that.

Alston is only about 6'1 220, so if you are concerned about the size of Morris then you should be concerned about his size.

No one has seen Derby play linebacker so I think it is a little too early to be putting him as a starter in any linebacker spot.

These are not new changes, just published changes. In case you didn't notice, Nielsen played inside against Minnesota and Morris was on the outside. Just thought i'd throw that out there.

Kirksey has been our best LB...and he is the one without a job?
ya, kinda why I was asking. He's too athletic to just stick on the bench. What would be wrong with a 3-4 next year? Especially if we're still trying to develop DTs. Might as well have four athletic LBs on the field to try and contain the spreads a little better if we're not going to have much of a pass rush anyway? Thoughts?

ya, kinda why I was asking. He's too athletic to just stick on the bench. What would be wrong with a 3-4 next year? Especially if we're still trying to develop DTs. Might as well have four athletic LBs on the field to try and contain the spreads a little better if we're not going to have much of a pass rush anyway? Thoughts?

I actually think this could be a good idea, Davis has the size to play NT, maybe needs to put on a few pounds, but could you imagine the lbs 4 across: Morris, Kirksey, Derby, Alston, and don't forget about Hitchens and Dibona?

but that would be adjusting the scheme to fit to our strengths, which is something we don't do. that said, if we have 4 good LB's and can't find 4 good D-linemen, why not mix it up?

Kirksey has been our best LB...and he is the one without a job?

Actually I would argue that Alston has been our best linebacker. Kirksey has played well against less stout teams and has played well in space, but he hasn't been able to shed his blocks all that well or hold up at the point of attack. Like Hitchens, he really plays like a monster back.

Alston has that ability to beat his guy into the hole and has shown the strength to stop the progression of the runner at the hit instead of giving up ground and getting driven back. Also, his coverage on the seam route has been really strong.

It will be really interesting to see how things shake out in the future. But, I just think that the signs look like he might end up being odd man out with the move of Morris to WILL. I mean we can all imagine him at WILL, but it is hard to imagine a guy of Kirksey's size being effective at LEO.

but that would be adjusting the scheme to fit to our strengths, which is something we don't do. that said, if we have 4 good LB's and can't find 4 good D-linemen, why not mix it up?
Exactly. Kirksey and Morris outside to cover TE and guys like Dunsmore (Superback as Fitz calls him. WTF?) and Derby and alston in the middle to stuff the run but still could go sideline to sideline? Who knows. Just some wishful thinking. It will never happen, even with a new OC.

Exactly. Kirksey and Morris outside to cover TE and guys like Dunsmore (Superback as Fitz calls him. WTF?) and Derby and alston in the middle to stuff the run but still could go sideline to sideline? Who knows. Just some wishful thinking. It will never happen, even with a new OC.
DC I mean! LOL

Seems like teams really struggle in the first year after switching from a 4/3 to a 3/4. And 3/4s really require a monster at the NT position to be successful. Iowa does not have anyone for that role.

Seems like teams really struggle in the first year after switching from a 4/3 to a 3/4. And 3/4s really require a monster at the NT position to be successful. Iowa does not have anyone for that role.

Carl Davis could, if he could keep his pad level down.

Sorry to answer someone else's question but I don't think he is. I agree with CaarHawk's assessment that it will be Morris, Nielsen and Derby. Unfortunately Kirksey will be the odd man out.

I could be wrong but I think Kirksey IS fast enough. Sash and Greenwood were by no means burners back there, nor is Tanner Miller. All good players and I think Miller will be a good one. I could see Kirksey back there.

Well, seems like what they're doing now is a struggle too.

Actually I would argue that Alston has been our best linebacker. Kirksey has played well against less stout teams and has played well in space, but he hasn't been able to shed his blocks all that well or hold up at the point of attack. Like Hitchens, he really plays like a monster back.

Alston has that ability to beat his guy into the hole and has shown the strength to stop the progression of the runner at the hit instead of giving up ground and getting driven back. Also, his coverage on the seam route has been really strong.

It will be really interesting to see how things shake out in the future. But, I just think that the signs look like he might end up being odd man out with the move of Morris to WILL. I mean we can all imagine him at WILL, but it is hard to imagine a guy of Kirksey's size being effective at LEO.

I dont think Alston has played enough to make that argument. He didnt play poorly against NW but he has not played enough to make above statements as no idea of his consistency.

I think moving Derby adds to depth at LB along with Hitchens, Alston, and others coming in. Given Derby's size, I could see him becoming a DE too. That would be an unusual move from QB to DE but... not many other options for next year. Once Derby learns more about responsibilites of LB position, we will probably see him on field. Maybe this week but more surely against MSU.

Latest posts