Line Play

uihawk82

It seems this Off Line is too slow or something to run wide plays so come up with something better, different, some counter plays, power between the TEs or Tackles. take out Wadley's late TD run last week and we are averaging a pretty bad yards per rush. They averaged .8, point 8, yards per carry today.

Off Line doing pretty well pass blocking considering we couldnt run the ball much in the last two games.

Maybe this is a pass first, run second team like 2004. Have Wadley in the slot more and Young and Butler when he comes back pound them straight ahead.

Oh and MSU's Off Coord really out coordinated BF.

The DLine is awesome against the run for 90% of plays as it is hard to not give up a play or two. That 4th down stuff after the once a century delay of game call against Iowa for supposedly barking out offensive signals was a great stop and they did really well.

But the Dee Line is not generating a pass rush, our defense plays too loose on pass coverage many times so QBs can unload the ball quick.

Phil Parker needs to get a pass rush going and mix up his defenses better, what few defensive schemes he actually plays.

Both of Iowas coordinators suck. But then again so does its head coach. Couldn't coach his ass out of a wet paper back with scissors in his hands.

How the literal F@CK did this O-line wine the Joe Moore award last year, return this much experience and not generate any running room this year? This is beyond maddening...

Lets not forget that this horrible OL is the result after 5 years of BF coaching the OL - his recruits + his tutelage.

Let's think about it. Jon's narrative is that "they're running into 8 man fronts! ....." That's why Iowa can't run...

Teams have done that to Iowa since ...well... as long as I can remember.

People we need to keep data on this to test the reality of it all. When i watched I saw play after play where MSU rushed 3 or 4 - that was it.

I saw the OLine getting whipped on run plays

Last year Iowa's OLine had a lot of injuries. They had several unique line ups during the year. Daniels and Wadley each had over 1000 yards. Remember?

this year, not as many injuries but the OLine is lost. The running game is in neutral

I think its the coaching on the OLine.

How the literal F@CK did this O-line wine the Joe Moore award last year, return this much experience and not generate any running room this year? This is beyond maddening...
Because they shouldn't have won it last year.

I really feel the problem lies with our current running back who has become too much of a cut back runner on every play. When Whadley shared the run duties his cut backs caught the other team by surprise, now they expect it. He is not 100% no matter what anyone says and he was never a power back. On a lot of plays he's been caught dancing when he simple needed to follow his blocking for a 4 to 5 yard pick up. He's always looking for the home run. We really need to use one of the younger backs to run some power runs to keep the defense in their lanes and to spell our starter. He is not the back to push the defense back three yards. Kirk better get some confidence in one of those backs real soon. Plus Stanley needs quicker reads, it's not all on the offensive line.

I really feel the problem lies with our current running back who has become too much of a cut back runner on every play. When Whadley shared the run duties his cut backs caught the other team by surprise, now they expect it. He is not 100% no matter what anyone says and he was never a power back. On a lot of plays he's been caught dancing when he simple needed to follow his blocking for a 4 to 5 yard pick up. He's always looking for the home run. We really need to use one of the younger backs to run some power runs to keep the defense in their lanes and to spell our starter. He is not the back to push the defense back three yards. Kirk better get some confidence in one of those backs real soon. Plus Stanley needs quicker reads, it's not all on the offensive line.

Are you media? It's OK to call out KF on here. As long as you dont do it too much.

What experience? Starting a RSFR at LT. Only Daniels and Welch have a lot of experience. Myers does but he was yanked in the 2nd half and was missing blocks. Welch is playing tackle also, not his position.

Because Iowa won the offensive line award last year they are getting everybody's best shot. I mean if I was a defensive coordinator I would sure the heck make sure that was drilled in to their d-line. They would be super pumped up. That being said they need to play much better. Backs against the wall against the Illini.

Let's think about it. Jon's narrative is that "they're running into 8 man fronts! ....." That's why Iowa can't run...

Teams have done that to Iowa since ...well... as long as I can remember.

People we need to keep data on this to test the reality of it all. When i watched I saw play after play where MSU rushed 3 or 4 - that was it.

I saw the OLine getting whipped on run plays

Last year Iowa's OLine had a lot of injuries. They had several unique line ups during the year. Daniels and Wadley each had over 1000 yards. Remember?

this year, not as many injuries but the OLine is lost. The running game is in neutral

I think its the coaching on the OLine.

This, to an extent. We had a bruiser, heavy back to pound, push the pile for 1-3 yards last year to loosen things early...last year. We are trying the same thing...but only with a 195 pound speed back now...

Running game plan isn't matching personnel.

Because they shouldn't have won it last year.

I don't know if they were the best, but they were solid...2 1000 yard backs with virtually no passing game and stacked boxes just like this year.

Basically same linemen this year, same stacked boxes, same run plays, slightly better passing game...but what's different...

...No use of a power back that can push for 1, 2, 3 yards...over the course of a game...it matters... 2nd or 3rd and 6, 7, 8 yards to go is a lot better than 2nd or 3rd and 12.

I'm not saying we should pound into stacked lines...im saying if your hell bent on doing it...do it like you've done successfully in the past.

I don't know if they were the best, but they were solid...2 1000 yard backs with virtually no passing game and stacked boxes just like this year.

Basically same linemen this year, same stacked boxes, same run plays, slightly better passing game...but what's different...

...No use of a power back that can push for 1, 2, 3 yards...over the course of a game...it matters... 2nd or 3rd and 6, 7, 8 yards to go is a lot better than 2nd or 3rd and 12.

I'm not saying we should pound into stacked lines...im saying if your hell bent on doing it...do it like you've done successfully in the past.

I'm starting to think this way as well. We may want to think about using Toren Young on first down and having him crash right into the line of scrimmage at full speed and 2 hands on the ball. If the running lanes aren't there use a bulldozer to pop a couple LB's in the mouth. Wadley is looking for creases where there aren't any. They might open up some if DL's and LB's are getting hit in the mouth. Right now the opposing D's aren't feeling any pain by playing us. All they have to do is make ankle tackles all day long.

Why do they have to be either a power back OR speed back? It would still be predictable to some extent.
I know this is heresy for Iowa, but why not have BOTH - speed and power backs - in the backfield at the same time? Defense wont be able to focus on one or the other.
It just seems like we have no imagination and continue to run the same 4 or 5 plays we have run for 20 years.

"We'll take what the other team gives us. We'll scratch where it itches."

Latest posts