Lincoln Riley's Contract

Fryowa

Administrator
USC is doing the following to get Riley to coach there...

- $110 Million dollar contract
- Buying both of his houses in Norman for $500,000 over his asking price EACH
- Buying him a $6 million dollar house in LA outright
- He gets 24/7 unlimited use of a private jet for he and his family
- Paying his $4.5 million buyout to Oklahoma

Obviously way more perqs like I'm sure his kids get free tuition, he probably gets unlimited use of facilities, suites, season tickets, health care, free vehicles for him and his family, etc...

I also saw on Twitter that Tom Osbourne made $138,000 in 1997 and got a $50,000 bonus for winning the natty.

And hilariously, him leaving isn't even about the money (mostly). Competing against Oregon and Utah looks a hell of a lot easier than Alabama, Georgia, and LSU/Texas/Florida when they get their shit together.

SoCal versus Norman? Also pretty easy call.

They backed up the Brinks Truck, but I bet Oklahoma would have matched. This was just a smart career and lifestyle move.

Yep, Chip Kelly left a powerhouse oregon team when he could have kept winning Pac 10s and playing in huge bowls and for a natty champ. And doesnt oregon still have Nike money, loads of it?

But he saw the big $ and maybe the luster of an NFL head coach and got swallowed up.

I'd be curious how those things go. Did USC offer all that or did he ask? Was there back and forth on it? Like did he ask them to buy his houses for 700k over but they only offered 500 over so he took it? I get the feeling it was all just offered and he was like yeah where do I sign? But hell if I know

Why the hell does he have 2 houses in Norman??
If you're that kind of rich why wouldn't you?

You can afford to pay an army of people to take care of everything.

I have a friend who lives in Sioux Falls and has made his living the past 8-10 years just being a "property manager" for rich people who live somewhere else but have homes on the Iowa Great Lakes (mostly West Okoboji). The stories he's told me are fucking ridiculous. These are people worth 8 and 9 digits and they are completely out of touch bonkers.

I told him if he ever dies I want to be in his will as the next in line for these rich people to contact. He started out doing it for one family every spring getting the place ready to live in, checking vehicles and making sure registrations are up to date, gassed up, maintained, shit like that. These people have $100K SUV's that sit in the garage 8 months out of the year. Get groceries and fill the house up with whatever they need to just be able to basically just walk in the place with zero prep or effort on their part, and do everything in reverse when they leave for the year. Made some college money doing that and then by word of mouth now he "works" for several different individuals and makes enough money doing that to live comfortably all year.

He actually works maybe 3 months out of the year (he's got a side job in the summer but doesn't need it) and never really has to lift a finger. Most of what he's doing he just makes a phone call to someone else to take care of.

I have a friend who lives in Sioux Falls and has made his living the past 8-10 years just being a "property manager" for rich people who live somewhere else but have homes on the Iowa Great Lakes (mostly West Okoboji). The stories he's told me are fucking ridiculous. These are people worth 8 and 9 digits and they are completely out of touch bonkers.

I told him if he ever dies I want to be in his will as the next in line for these rich people to contact. He started out doing it for one family every spring getting the place ready to live in, checking vehicles and making sure registrations are up to date, gassed up, maintained, shit like that. These people have $100K SUV's that sit in the garage 8 months out of the year. Get groceries and fill the house up with whatever they need to just be able to basically just walk in the place with zero prep or effort on their part, and do everything in reverse when they leave for the year. Made some college money doing that and then by word of mouth now he "works" for several different individuals and makes enough money doing that to live comfortably all year.

He actually works maybe 3 months out of the year (he's got a side job in the summer but doesn't need it) and never really has to lift a finger. Most of what he's doing he just makes a phone call to someone else to take care of.
Sure, totally get a vacation house.
But Norman is a city of 123k people.
You don't need to have 2 houses no matter how wealthy you are in Norman, Oklahoma.

I wonder if he bought a shack just to make USC buy it from him.

Obviously way more perqs like I'm sure his kids get free tuition, he probably gets unlimited use of facilities, suites, season tickets, health care, free vehicles for him and his family, etc...

I also saw on Twitter that Tom Osbourne made $138,000 in 1997 and got a $50,000 bonus for winning the natty.

Wow, that is incredible!

I'm sure Clown fans are using this to feel good about themselves. SEE WHAT CAMPBELL PASSED UP TO STAY HERE?????

Damn. The current wave of coaches are like the partners of Goldman Sachs when it did its IPO. Standing on the shoulders of greats and raking in oodles more than they deserve just because they were in the right place at the right time. The contracts this year make the giant one Ferentz got in 2004 or whatever year it was seem downright pedestrian.

It's a different world... My step sister and her hubby in Vermont do that sort of stuff out there. They make sure their pipes don't freeze push snow just anything and everything. The homes they do these 'checks' on are ridiculously nice and many are their 3rd 4th or 5th homes for people from Boston/NYC/Philly. VT has a shit ton of hidden in the mountain homes like that. They manage like 25 or so of em.

You mention the IGL area. I have a couple cousins that are contractors that build those fancy homes up there. Lee Custom Homes. 2 brothers run it Derek and Daniel. I'm not rich enough for them to build me one yet but if ya'll are in the market up that way free shout out to them I doubt dropping my name would get ya a discount though...

It's a different world... My step sister and her hubby in Vermont do that sort of stuff out there. They make sure their pipes don't freeze push snow just anything and everything. The homes they do these 'checks' on are ridiculously nice and many are their 3rd 4th or 5th homes for people from Boston/NYC/Philly. VT has a shit ton of hidden in the mountain homes like that. They manage like 25 or so of em.

You mention the IGL area. I have a couple cousins that are contractors that build those fancy homes up there. Lee Custom Homes. 2 brothers run it Derek and Daniel. I'm not rich enough for them to build me one yet but if ya'll are in the market up that way free shout out to them I doubt dropping my name would get ya a discount though...
Yep...

My buddy that does it basically gets a text from some rich couple that they're going to be at the Lakes on such and such a date and his job is to make it so they literally show up and walk in the house like they've lived there the whole time. He's usually got a couple weeks heads-up and he does a final once over of the house, has a local shop do a once over on the vehicles and gets them detailed, gassed up, registrations up to date, etc. Same thing with boats, he's got to line up the people to install their docks in the spring and get the boats out of storage and ready to just turn the key and go.

Goes grocery shopping and fills all the fridges, gets smokers and grills out, all that stuff. He said he basically has a list of what each "client" wants done and what kind of food/drink they want, etc. I guess one lady from Minneapolis has someone go clothes shopping for her before she and her husband get there because she doesn't want to haul clothes back and forth. Says she donates all of it at the end of the year and starts over the next.

It really is fuckin nuts up there. These people are so rich that they pay someone a bunch of money just to pay someone else to maintain their multi-million dollar houses and 6 figure vehicles that they only use a couple months out of the year. He says they have no real requirements on how things are done or how much it costs, they just want to show up and have zero hassle down to the most minute detail. Every customer is $5-10 grand a year each, and most of them have known him long enough that he gets to use the houses any time he wants in the fall and winter no problem. Never once been double checked or questioned about a bill, I guess once in I think it was '09 when we had all that hail up here, he had a whole roof done and just sent a $30 some thousand dollar bill in. Said he never was asked to get bids and never saw or heard from an insurance guy. $30K was probably such a small amount to these people that it was just easier to pay for it and not F with insurance.

Yep...

My buddy that does it basically gets a text from some rich couple that they're going to be at the Lakes on such and such a date and his job is to make it so they literally show up and walk in the house like they've lived there the whole time. He's usually got a couple weeks heads-up and he does a final once over of the house, has a local shop do a once over on the vehicles and gets them detailed, gassed up, registrations up to date, etc. Same thing with boats, he's got to line up the people to install their docks in the spring and get the boats out of storage and ready to just turn the key and go.

Goes grocery shopping and fills all the fridges, gets smokers and grills out, all that stuff. He said he basically has a list of what each "client" wants done and what kind of food/drink they want, etc. I guess one lady from Minneapolis has someone go clothes shopping for her before she and her husband get there because she doesn't want to haul clothes back and forth. Says she donates all of it at the end of the year and starts over the next.

It really is fuckin nuts up there. These people are so rich that they pay someone a bunch of money just to pay someone else to maintain their multi-million dollar houses and 6 figure vehicles that they only use a couple months out of the year. He says they have no real requirements on how things are done or how much it costs, they just want to show up and have zero hassle down to the most minute detail. Every customer is $5-10 grand a year each, and most of them have known him long enough that he gets to use the houses any time he wants in the fall and winter no problem. Never once been double checked or questioned about a bill, I guess once in I think it was '09 when we had all that hail up here, he had a whole roof done and just sent a $30 some thousand dollar bill in. Said he never was asked to get bids and never saw or heard from an insurance guy. $30K was probably such a small amount to these people that it was just easier to pay for it and not F with insurance.
Yeah my step sis's hubby stubbled into doing it. He's a detective now but back then when they were both just cops he helped a rich dude stuck in the ditch during a storm and the guy asked him if he knew anyone that could push snow for him and that started the convo. The rest just became a word of mouth thing rich folks know rich folks. Some of the homes they've been watching for 15-20 yrs now

I looked into a 500 acre property in VT, it's insane the sort of deals you can find up there if that's what you want. A good distance away from services generally, but lots of beautiful land if you want some privacy.

Hayden Fry wrote in his autobiography that his first contract at Iowa in 1979 called for an annual salary of $45,000.

Adjusting for inflation that still wouldn't pro anly be worth more 150-200k today. Barry Alvarez' first high school teaching/coaching job barely scraped five figures.

Jesus H Christ that is a lot of money.....puts Kirk's contract to shame.

I looked into a 500 acre property in VT, it's insane the sort of deals you can find up there if that's what you want. A good distance away from services generally, but lots of beautiful land if you want some privacy.
No doubt. My dad lived in Bradford right on the edge of town off the river overlooking NH. But if you get up in the 'hills' as they call em closer to the skiing touristy areas there's lots of the richy rich homes but many are hidden off the roads and whatnot. My step sis lives in Queechee and I bet they don't have to drive much more then a 50 mile radius to do all the house checks they do. It's a pretty pricy place to live as far as homes go. I couldn't tell you about how an acreage of that size might be valued though. Small farms have really been disappearing up there (like everywhere I suppose)

It depends on what you want out of the gig, too. Either job was/is gonna be silly money. I live in Pac 12 country, and the league has grown on me. Mostly because the game isn't treated like a religion or like life and death. A lot of the venues and programs still feel amateurish. I sort of like the feel of 25,000 fans in bleachers on a Saturday night in Pullman or Corvallis. I kind of liked when Kinnick felt like that, too (ok, 67,000 fans but not a monstrosity built up for the donors and administration). My buddy in Boulder mentioned seeing the players, including the starting QB, throwing mini-footballs to kids while in the homecoming parade a few years back.

The Hawkeyes, of course, would have been in total lockdown for hours the night before a game. And up until a year ago or so would have had their sleep monitored too. These are college kids.

So Riley getting a ton of cash and going down a few notches on the seriousness scale ain't a bad gig. But I think a lot of these coaches are wired differently, and would rather join a league where each week you visit a venue where the school and fans consider the game something much more important than, well, a game.

Latest posts