Lincoln Riley Maybe not ready for primetime

uihawk82

Dubious pass play call with 1:55 left in regulation and texas without timeouts (I might have called a pass with tom brady as my qb but rattler was benched earlier). OU goes into neutral on offense and gives up another big 4th qtr lead, 14 pts, with 5 minutes left. Then he calls for the FG in 3rd OT on 2nd down and it is hooked wide left.

OU still might win this with a bad missed holding call going against them in 2nd OT but wow, something is missing with all this talent.

The FG attempt was on 3rd down. It was a short kick with a kicker who has been very solid but he shanked that one. I can't argue with the call though. You fumble the snap on 3rd down and you can throw the ball away and try again on 4th down. It's a pretty common call.

I think Riley is finding out this year how difficult it really is. Very few coaches sail through without some rough patches. Having a freshman QB isn't helping. I thought their defense looked better today, the two late TD's in regulation notwithstanding. I do think they'll be a decent team by the end of the year.

The FG attempt was on 3rd down. It was a short kick with a kicker who has been very solid but he shanked that one. I can't argue with the call though. You fumble the snap on 3rd down and you can throw the ball away and try again on 4th down. It's a pretty common call.

I think Riley is finding out this year how difficult it really is. Very few coaches sail through without some rough patches. Having a freshman QB isn't helping. I thought their defense looked better today, the two late TD's in regulation notwithstanding. I do think they'll be a decent team by the end of the year.
I stand corrected and you were right, the FG was on second down. But I still have no problem with that call. 31 yard FG with a good kicker.

That was two REALLY BAD football teams playing today in the Rotten River Shoot-out. P.S. I'm tired of watching - and commenting on other football games. It's time to get the Big Ten back in business.

I stand corrected and you were right, the FG was on second down. But I still have no problem with that call. 31 yard FG with a good kicker.

The only sure score is putting the football just across the very front edge of the goal line. Yes you risk a fumble, INT, penalties that drive you out of FG range (see Iowa at OSU in 2009), but OU's offense had come to life and they had run the ball for about 230 yards.

Hard to say with a young QB who has made mistakes late in games but I thought RPO with Rattler and those receivers and their Rbacks as safety valve receivers or running wheel routes would be the way to go for the TD.

I usually try to check in on the Surly Horns forum to see how things are going in the B12, but the site doesn't seem to be loading today.

OU winning probably helps ISU because it gives a 2nd loss to Texas and OU already has 2 losses one of which was against ISU. Not sure if there are any other decent defenses in the Big 12 but K State and ISU are in pretty good shape to maybe win the league.

Latest posts