Lick's recruiting

westview

It looks like Lick was a better recruiter than given credit for with all the interest Larsen and Brust are getting.

Number one guys with defections, guys transferring a lot of teams have openings. This late in the game the only guys left are a couple McD All Americans and guys released from their LOI. So when you have a top 250 kid available the sharks find them and congregate at their door step. If they would of been top shelf recruits during the normal time frame of recruiting we wouldn't have got a sniff. Now don't read anything into that...I think they are nice players. However, they are not first picking difference makers. So I think your statement is a little off.

Number one guys with defections, guys transferring a lot of teams have openings. This late in the game the only guys left are a couple McD All Americans and guys released from their LOI. So when you have a top 250 kid available the sharks find them and congregate at their door step. If they would of been top shelf recruits during the normal time frame of recruiting we wouldn't have got a sniff. Now don't read anything into that...I think they are nice players. However, they are not first picking difference makers. So I think your statement is a little off.

how do you know what kind of attention they got post-iowa commitment and pre-Lick leaving?

Yes, I do agree that teams are going to be hovering over this kind of situation, but then would they be hovering for a guy who would be a spot on their bench?

I think this class was a very good class for Lickliter and company.

GREAT POST!!

It comes down to the individuals. Everyone agreed that Larson and Brust were #1 and #2 in terms of our best incoming recruits. Larson is a top 95 RSCI recruit,so virtually every hawk fan was happy with his signing. Brust was a top 150 recruit,so most fans were pleased with his signing.
And yes, at this point,if you read anything about the schools that are jumping in on these guys,virtually every single one of them has lost a player to transfer or the NBA,so of course they are fishing for the best of the remaining recruits out there.

This is Licks 4th class, and clearly his best,since arriving at iowa. Iowa has had the worst three year record in the programs history, so either his recruits were not good enough or his coaching and leadership was not good enough...which is it? Unless of course you think that a 38-58 record is acceptable for Iowa bb.

Timing is everything; if Lick recruits players the caliber of Larson and Brust his first year here, he would probably still be here. Time was an issue then as it is now; Mac may or may not get it done, but he is being much more painstaking with assistants, recruits, and other prospective players, if the amount of time he is taking is any indication, which I think it is. He moving at the pace of a man who has the perfect hole card.

From what I undersand virtually all of the big name schools mentioned having interest in Larson and Brust probably are not looking to fill starter slots for the next year or two but rather deep back-ups and/or role players, using scholarships created by the departure of other players not happy with their situations or anticipated PT. IMHO both players would have a chance to compete for significant PT if not starting positions under Fran right away.

What I would really like is for this whole process to be finished. I hope both kids come to Iowa..I really do. But I really don't like to be a back-up plan either. Come to Iowa now before we get other players or go elsewhere (not the Big 10) and best of luck to you.

I think everyone was pleased with this class when it signed and thereafter.

The problem is keepin the guys once they got here. Kelly, Peterson, Fuller, etc

Other teams, like Iowa, lose players, therefore, are looking for some guys to fill out rosters. Around this time of year stocks rise for the available players. Brust and Larson are good enough players but not difference makers on these teams. They might sign with the "bigger" name but playing time won't come so easily, if at all.

I think I'm not going to worry about how good these guys are or aren't until I see how their careers turn out. So far I can't think of a single transfer that has happened to Iowa in the last several years that turned out to be a world beater.

I think Brust and Larson both have the potential to be good D1 ball players. I hope they land in a place that is best for them and their futures, and I hope that iowa lands the best most committed talent available.

Sounds like they won't be signing with any big time B10 teams. Unless they want to pay to play.
Which i see as a possibility. Almost every other college kid has to pay there way through school whether it be parents or what not. Can they be put on a scholarship after the first year, or do they pay for four years(however long they stay)?

It may be semantics, but I don't think it was Lickliter that was the key in recruiting. LaVall Jordan was who these kids were attached to.

Latest posts