Lickliter's future

GhostofBTT

Banned
I honestly believe he is a good coach, and he will be successful in the future. He just wasn't a good fit for Iowa. It seems as if him, the team, and the fans never made a real connection with one another. I think Lick faced an uphill battle when he came in, and when things got worse, he did not react to it properly.

He just didn't have the temperment or personality to coach at Iowa. I don't really blame him, since it wasn't his job to find a coach that would fit in.

I think if he can find a solid mid-major, or even an after-thought BCS school, he can build a successful team in a hurry. What do others think?

I agree. Although if he wants to be successful at at any BCS school, he had better rethink his recruiting philosophy.

I hope he has success at whatever school he ends up at.

Damn, I thought someone had info on John's future here! I opened this up thinking it was going to be a link with John announcing he will remain on the team regardless of who the coach is! :)

I agree with you on his personality, and that seemed to cause problems with his ability to related to some of the players. I think also the fact that he missed early and often when it came to recruiting. There were recruiting battles where he lost out on, and I think he made some bad scholarship offers for players that didn't work out (Tucker and maybe J. Davis) or simply weren't talented enough to make a difference (Bawinkel/Brommer).

Lickliter will probably coach again somewhere, but I have doubts that he'll ever succeed in a major conference. I think it'll have to be a mid-major somewhere.

So he was basically a "rebound girlfriend" for us?:D

Exactly. We had some fun with him at first... but then it got old. So we started looking around while keeping him on the side and once we had some good prospects we publicly kick him to the curb to let everyone know who's running the show. We're that guy.

As I have said all along, albeit picking the phrase up from someone else, we are terminating the coach, not the man. With that said, we are terminating the coach as a result of this 3 year performance, not as a result of his lack of basketball IQ.

For whatever reason it did not work out at Iowa. Lickliter did not all of the sudden forget how to coach basketball. He will no doubt be back on his feet and will be successful for the remainder of his coaching career.

Go Hawks!

I honestly believe he is a good coach, and he will be successful in the future. He just wasn't a good fit for Iowa. It seems as if him, the team, and the fans never made a real connection with one another. I think Lick faced an uphill battle when he came in, and when things got worse, he did not react to it properly.

He just didn't have the temperment or personality to coach at Iowa. I don't really blame him, since it wasn't his job to find a coach that would fit in.

I think if he can find a solid mid-major, or even an after-thought BCS school, he can build a successful team in a hurry. What do others think?

I held that belief up until the past couple of weeks. I don't any more. He seemed highly resistant to change, even in game situations (see zone defense, full court press in your coaching lexicon); didn't seem to relate well to the players; never came across as much of a salesman for the program or the university; and was totally out of his league when it came to recruiting against any of the other schools in the conference.

I think he can return to a mid-major school that largely attracts regional talent. But I don't see him coaching at a BCS school ever again.

Lack of recruiting and people skills are definitely 2 of his major weaknesses, which won't be a plus in any college program he may be hired into.

What are the unique personality and temperament traits the Iowa job requires that other BT (or major conference) schools do not?

I'll hang up and listen.

I think Butler is uniquely suited for his approach. But Iowa is not Butler. We are not a small,religiously tilted institution smack dab in the middle of bible belt country where bb is king and produces many willing recruits who revere the coach as the dictator.

Iowa is a big sprawling public institution,with a tradition of out of state recruits who star on the team,in a state with a small population,where High schools rarely churn out more than a couple division one prospects annually.
Iowa has a student body who need to be sold,who do not come in as true believers in a ''Iowa Way''.
Lick was not a good fit. Does not mean he cannot succeed elsewhere,but it will not be at the Big Ten level.

Latest posts