Lickliter update

Saw Lick as an assistant for Charlie Coles (Miami Ohio) team in a MAC game. Felt like yelling something but realized nobody would know what I was talking about, except Charlie Coles and Lick.

Props... I would have lit him up for putting us back 3 years

I'm in denial that I bothered to click on this thread and read it.

Lick is one of the worst coaches Iowa has ever had. Right beside Lauterbur and Commings.

Commings was no where near one of the worst coaches Iowa has ever had.
He meant Sarah Commings, women's soccer coach from 1983-1986. Never won a game and just stopped showing up after the '84 season. Turns out no one noticed until the Hawkeyes snapped their 62 match losing streak late in '86 and Pat Hardy wanted to interview her.
Here's her file pic.
mullet5.jpg

F'n with you...I don't even know if we had women's soccer back then...

He meant Sarah Commings, women's soccer coach from 1983-1986. Never won a game and just stopped showing up after the '84 season. Turns out no one noticed until the Hawkeyes snapped their 62 match losing streak late in '86 and Pat Hardy wanted to interview her.
Here's her file pic.
mullet5.jpg

You had me at Harty

F'n with you...I don't even know if we had women's soccer back then...

Dude...if you had some time on your hands, you could inspect Iowa's game results during Lick's tenure & I bet you could find 3 sequential games in which the SUM of Iowa's scores didn't exceed 107.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?!

(note: honestly I'm guessing Lick is probably a pretty decent coach, at a certain level of play. I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of - the whole "Peter Principle" applies very clearly in coaching)

Dude...if you had some time on your hands, you could inspect Iowa's game results during Lick's tenure & I bet you could find 3 sequential games in which the SUM of Iowa's scores didn't exceed 107.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?!

(note: honestly I'm guessing Lick is probably a pretty decent coach, at a certain level of play. I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of - the whole "Peter Principle" applies very clearly in coaching)

I bet you that you can't.

Sorry, didn't get back to this until this morning.

Correct answer appears to be "142", which is still pretty impressive. :D

That's a PPG average of 47.3 points over a 3 game stretch...which is pretty remarkable for 21st century college hoops!

(note: in typical 528646 fashion, I did not do my work with enough foresight to identify which 3 games those were!)

3/3/2010

at #15 Wisconsin L 67-40

3/7/2010

at Minnesota L 88-53

3/11/2010

vs. Michigan BTT 1st Round L 59-52

That's a total of 145 AND WE BEAT MARIAN first game of the year!! Bring back the LICK! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts