lickliter saga

What's he talking about is the people on this board who think they know what would work better for Iowa than the people actually running the program.

Maybe some of these basketball experts should send their resumes in.

Ya cuz the ppl that are running the program are doing such a bang up job.

Well then you would be in for a rude awakening. Most places dictate who a coach needs to bring with them for assistant coaches......

That's all you need to say to let me know you have no idea what you're talking about.

Those who suggest that criticism of an obviously failing program is unfounded because the critics couldn't run the program better are making one of the most absurd and obviously flawed arguments imaginable. The same logic would suggest that no one but a licensed commercial pilot has standing to observe that a jet should not be flown into the ground.

It is actually just a comedy sideshow to go with the program. It is something one would expect from this coach at this point of the program...that's all. Pretty meaningless.

Those who suggest that criticism of an obviously failing program is unfounded because the critics couldn't run the program better are making one of the most absurd and obviously flawed arguments imaginable. The same logic would suggest that no one but a licensed commercial pilot has standing to observe that a jet should not be flown into the ground.

That's true, but I would trust that licensed commercial pilot a hell of a lot more than an average bystander.

There is a good chance that a licensed commercial pilot would fare a bit better at keeping the plane airborne than someone who has all the answers on a message board.

Last edited:
"Those who suggest that criticism of an obviously failing program are unfounded because the critics couldn't run the program better are making one of the most absurd and obviously flawed arguments imaginable..."

I agree entirely. Actually, there are probably a number of posters that could run a better basketball program than Lick. A good executive could develop a solid business plan to improve the program.

For example, I haven't played basketball since college and know very little about the current game. Hell, Lick has forgotten more about basketball than I ever knew about basketball in my playing days. However, I have excellent managerial and verbal communication skills.

Therefore, I would take a very heavily incentive based contract at one-tenth Licks annual salary of $1.2 million. Bonuses would be for attendance, conference victories, NCAA appearances, Final 4 appearances, etc. Also, no buyout clauses.

The low annual salary would probably free up over $1.2 million to hire assistants. At $400,000 a year, I would have no problem attracting top-notch quality assistants. No cronies without experience need apply!

One assistant would be in charge of practice and game coaching. This would be my Xs & Os assistant.

Another assistant would be the recruiting assistant. This coach would not have to attend practice or games. The only responsibility is to recruit talent. To paraphrase President Clinton during his first campaign "it's the talent, stupid." Actually, it was "it's the economy, stupid!"

The third assistant would help at practice, during games & with recruiting.

I would handle all administrative duties. Hell, I wouldn't have to do much if I hired quality assistants. Anybody who has had any business education knows it's about quality of people, delegation of authority & motivation.

People may rip me for this post, but it isn't far off from what Ferentz did at Iowa. He brought in quality assistants. Coach Ferentz brought in the defensive line coach from Texas, Carl Jackson (legendary Texas high school coach, Iowa coach under Hayden, coached the 49ers in a Super Bowl year), Philbin, the current offensive coordinator of the Packers, etc. Let's not forget Norm Parker. The list goes on!

Lick brought in three cronies that had a combined resume of three years of experience at the Division I level.

I may be a dumb ***, but I will beat Lick consistently with a superior staff. I wouldn't surround myself with cronies that have exactly no experience.

Wow...what are the positives you see. Can't deny facts...worst three year stretch, possible 20 loss season hasn't happened since the 30's...are you a Cub's fan by chance????

Latest posts