lickliter saga

nah...nothing so far that can match the SA era of division. Now, if lil lick starts the next 3 years and we do not make the tourny...it could build to that level...lets hope not.

nah...nothing so far that can match the SA era of division. Now, if lil lick starts the next 3 years and we do not make the tourny...it could build to that level...lets hope not.
agreed. This is nothing compared to the split amongst fans in the alford era

Its catching up fast

At least Steve had us going to the NIT every year.

We are just a joke now

Not. Even. Close.

TD at the end and Alford at pretty much any time post-Pierce were worse than this for strongly divided opinions among fans.

Amen Pistons. Lickliter is his own worst enemy. At the rate Lick is going, he will soon max out the "Peter Principle", if he isn't already there. He's made one dumb decision after another from the beginning. Will he ever get it??

Thank God for those NIT bids...I guess Steve really did take us to "the next level"...and it just keeps getting "better"??? It seems to me that the division is getting smaller in TL's case because like him or not, people are starting to see that there's not much light at the end of the tunnel...and I include myself in that group. I just don't think that canning him this season is going to help. I'd rather it happen after next season when Iowa at least has a roster full of decent players to work with...of course, if they turn out to be busts, it's a roster full of crap so yeah, there are concerns either way.

Thank God for those NIT bids...I guess Steve really did take us to "the next level"...and it just keeps getting "better"??? It seems to me that the division is getting smaller in TL's case because like him or not, people are starting to see that there's not much light at the end of the tunnel...and I include myself in that group. I just don't think that canning him this season is going to help. I'd rather it happen after next season when Iowa at least has a roster full of decent players to work with...of course, if they turn out to be busts, it's a roster full of crap so yeah, there are concerns either way.

It is hard to see light at the end of the tunnel, but when you compare that with what was expected this season.....we all saw this coming. The Big 10 may not be as good as everyone thought it was going to be, but any team starting 4 underclassmen is going to have a hard time keeping up, and we've seen that bear itself out.

At the very least, Lickliter deserves a chance to show what he can do with a full roster. If the team doesn't get better next year (whatever that is, I don't think anyone really knows), then all bets are off.

That being said, a lot of what happens next year will depend on whether or not there are transfers at the end of this year. If Iowa has to start over again next year, I would think that Lickliter is shown the door.

is the coach keeping his job/son getting PT...is this the biggest division among fans that you guys can remember?

Maybe amongst the anonymous Nancys on these message boards who actually believe that it'd be in the best interest of the men's bb program for the AD to fire the coach after year two or three, or dictate who the head coach hires as assistants- I can't believe I actually read that the other day. For them, the most recent disappointment is always the most divisive.

It is hard to see light at the end of the tunnel, but when you compare that with what was expected this season.....we all saw this coming. The Big 10 may not be as good as everyone thought it was going to be, but any team starting 4 underclassmen is going to have a hard time keeping up, and we've seen that bear itself out.

At the very least, Lickliter deserves a chance to show what he can do with a full roster. If the team doesn't get better next year (whatever that is, I don't think anyone really knows), then all bets are off.

That being said, a lot of what happens next year will depend on whether or not there are transfers at the end of this year. If Iowa has to start over again next year, I would think that Lickliter is shown the door.

I totally agree SR...especially with your last point.

Lick would have a full roster if he didn't continue to have kids transfer out of the program. Heck, there's going to be more suspense from the fan base during this off season than there was in-season. You just know there are going to be rumors of departures. Are they true and will the cycle continue are the only questions.

I will admit I want him gone now. Mainly because I want Carver rocking again and that will never happen with Lick here. I can still be a Hawk fan with TL as the head coach. But I don't think I can continue being a season ticket holder. It's just not worth it.

Maybe amongst the anonymous Nancys on these message boards who actually believe that it'd be in the best interest of the men's bb program for the AD to fire the coach after year two or three, or dictate who the head coach hires as assistants- I can't believe I actually read that the other day. For them, the most recent disappointment is always the most divisive.

There are three people who like to compain about everything, and those people know who they are.

If Iowa fires Lickliter at the end of the year, any prospective coach that is contacted is going to know that the Iowa administration isn't patient enough to let a coach build a program.

At that point, the only legit selling point Iowa would have is the new practice facility.

Well then you would be in for a rude awakening. Most places dictate who a coach needs to bring with them for assistant coaches or they at least lay down the law in terms of the experience and connections needed to field a productive team. It seems like both Barta and Lick were in over their heads when they came to Iowa in this regard. Revamping staffs is not uncommon for basement dwelling programs which Iowa now is, so I expect AT LEAST a forced shake up of the staff, if not an entire change in the direction of the program.

Lick would have a full roster if he didn't continue to have kids transfer out of the program. Heck, there's going to be more suspense from the fan base during this off season than there was in-season. You just know there are going to be rumors of departures. Are they true and will the cycle continue are the only questions.

I will admit I want him gone now. Mainly because I want Carver rocking again and that will never happen with Lick here. I can still be a Hawk fan with TL as the head coach. But I don't think I can continue being a season ticket holder. It's just not worth it.

Yes he would. Which is why if there is a mass exodus of his players at the end of the year that all bets are off, as Iowa would be right back to square one as opposed to having a solid nucleus coming back.

Well then you would be in for a rude awakening. Most places dictate who a coach needs to bring with them for assistant coaches or they at least lay down the law in terms of the experience and connections needed to field a productive team. It seems like both Barta and Lick were in over their heads when they came to Iowa in this regard. Revamping staffs is not uncommon for basement dwelling programs which Iowa now is, so I expect AT LEAST a forced shake up of the staff, if not an entire change in the direction of the program.

What's he talking about is the people on this board who think they know what would work better for Iowa than the people actually running the program.

Maybe some of these basketball experts should send their resumes in.

Yes he would. Which is why if there is a mass exodus of his players at the end of the year that all bets are off, as Iowa would be right back to square one as opposed to having a solid nucleus coming back.

Shada, if we see a meaninful player or two leave at the end of this season what should Barta do, if anything?

What's he talking about is the people on this board who think they know what would work better for Iowa than the people actually running the program.

Maybe some of these basketball experts should send their resumes in.

If I agree to do this, can I have a letter of recommendation from you? :)

Shada, if we see a meaninful player or two leave at the end of this season what should Barta do, if anything?

I don't know what he should do, I'm not so arrogant to think I know the situation better than the people who are around it every day.

I've said repeatedly, in several different threads, that if there is a mass exodus that all bets are off.

You can interpret that however you want.

Bingo this post nailed it.

Shada - good analysis. I agree on your point on this post as well.