Lickliter not the man at Eastern Michigan

Certainly a cruel twist of fate that is almost hard to believe. Lickliter named national coach of the year; 3 years later he is fired at Iowa and can't land a job, even at Eastern Michigan.

He got exposed at Iowa for not being a good coach, manager of a program, evaluator of talent (players and staff) and being a grade A condascending jerk with his players. Odd that a coach guilty of recruiting violations probably garners more attention than a guy like Lickliter, but he certainly contributed to his own demise. As evidenced by all of his recruits transferring to lower levels, the guy was in over his head from day one.

No Doubt about it! You could see it in his body language from day one. How could he not know that he was not a legitimate candidate. I don't think I will ever be able to figure that one out.

No Doubt about it! You could see it in his body language from day one. How could he not know that he was not a legitimate candidate. I don't think I will ever be able to figure that one out.
Alot of time the things that are the hardest to "see" are right in front of us.

Definitely a Bermuda Triangle type mystery. The wins and losses are one thing, but the complete lack of understanding or desire (not sure which) to recruit, build relationships with AAU / high school coaches is mindboggling. Iowa b-ball wasn't in great shapre pre-Lickliter, but he certainly pushed it over the edge.

When we hired TL, Iowa was like the high school girl who, unable to find a prom date at a late hour, says yes to the first guy who looks her way twice....jerk or not.

In other words, desperation.

I wish no ill on Lick,but he sabotaged his own career...and screwed iowa bb in the process. He has no financial pressure on him with the 6.8 million he will ultimately earn for his three years at Iowa,so he should just take a HS job in Indiana...it is a good fit for him,as the players have no choice...his way or the highway.

Maybe he should put in a job app with the Timex Corp. I here that they can at least take a LICKing and keep on ticking. Just keep the shot clock watch idea to yourself. It starts at 35 seconds and counts down from there and when it gets down to three seconds an automated voice shouts out......shoot, shoot, shoot.

OK all joking aside I believe he did the best he could while he was here at Iowa but it just didn't work out and I wish he could have done better and been more successful. I was pulling for him all the way. Best wishes to him and his family.

Latest posts