Lets talk College football Playoff system

deanvogs

My problem with the current system is that each conference doesn't get in. Last year worked at as well as it could have, but still one conference (albeit a very weak one) was left out. My other problem with it, is that it will alway favor the blue blood programs. Is it really a shock that the committee took Ohio St. over Baylor or TCU? Not at all. If the choice was a 1 loss Texas team, or a 1 loss Wisconsin B1G champion does anyone believe for a second the committee takes Wisconsin? The way it is set it right now, it is always going to be about the name on the uniform if all things are close to equal.

This is why I think they should go to a 8 or 16 team playoff sooner than later. 8 teams would be 5 automatic bids (5 conference champs) and 3 at large bids. The thing I don't like about that is then it is really a 12 team playoff (8 teams playing in conference championship games) 1 Big12 team, and 3 at large teams. I think this is very unfair, as the 3 at large teams and Big12 team get an unfair advantage of not having to play that extra game. So I would lean to just going to a 16 team playoff which would look like this.

B1G west champ VS B1G east champ
SEC west Champ vs SEC east champ
ACC coastal champ vs ACC Atlantic champ
Pac12 north champ vs Pac12 South champ
Big12 #1 vs Big12 #2 (or they need to go to 12 teams and go divisions)
At large #1 seed vs At large #6 seed
At large #2 seed vs At large #5 seed
At large #3 seed vs At large #4 seed

The committee will then re seed the 8 winners of the first round, and you start the remaining games 1 week before the current 4 team playoff occurs.

For instance last years Conference championship games:
#13 Wisconsin vs #5 Ohio St.
#4 Florida St. vs #11 Georgia Tech
#1 Alabama vs #16 Missouri
#7 Arizona vs #2 Oregon
#6 Baylor vs #3 TCU

At large games
#8 Michigan St. vs #15 UCLA
#9 K-State vs #14 Georgia
#10 Miss. St. vs #12 Ole Miss

So you would have had 3 B1G teams, 3 Pac12 teams, 3 Big12 teams, 2 ACC teams and 5 SEC teams.

I know, I know TL:DR If you did read, what say you?

I think it needs to be 18 teams. The Big 10, ACC, Big 12, and Pac 12 champs, and the 14 SEC teams. That's really the only fair way.

It aint ever going to be close to perfect but last year generated some great excitement, big games, and a cleaner finish than most years.

And the Big 12 needs to learn how to play defense.

Latest posts