Let's Start a New Tradition at Iowa Games

I love the idea of silence. It's been discussed on the old site a number of times. And of course Clauss mentioned it in his great article. I think its a fantastic idea, much more intimidating. As mentioned though, it would take alot to coordinate with all 70,000. It if were to work I think the cheerleaders would need to go to all four corners like they do for the I-O-W-A chant and hold up SILENCE signs and shush everyone.

I love the idea of silence. It's been discussed on the old site a number of times. And of course Clauss mentioned it in his great article. I think its a fantastic idea, much more intimidating. As mentioned though, it would take alot to coordinate with all 70,000. It if were to work I think the cheerleaders would need to go to all four corners like they do for the I-O-W-A chant and hold up SILENCE signs and shush everyone.

^^^^ I like this idea. I don't boo college kids..........

Booing is classless, but it can't be prevented... especially if you're drunk, from Illinois or playing a high-profile team.

I like (love) the idea but it will never happen, ever. Sorry.

Can one person change everyones idea about booing at Iowa games? NO. Can one person change one other persons idea about booing at Iowa games? Of Course. This is how change happens. It won't happen overnight but it can happen. We need to influence those that we can. One thing seems certain. If we do not try to stop the booing when it confronts us, it certainly is less likely to happen.

Can one person change everyones idea about booing at Iowa games? NO. Can one person change one other persons idea about booing at Iowa games? Of Course. This is how change happens. It won't happen overnight but it can happen. We need to influence those that we can. One thing seems certain. If we do not try to stop the booing when it confronts us, it certainly is less likely to happen.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculously naive. It's like saying that observing the speed limit yourself will cause others to not speed.

I agree with the original post. We sit next to the student section, and it bugs me every time they boo the opposing team. I think it lacks class as well. Silence seems like a better mind game.

Last edited:

Harpo, shut up. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, this is a horrible post.

I agree with the original post. We sit next to the student section, and it bugs me every time they boo the opposing team. I think it lacks class as well. Silence seems like a better mind game.

Students can't boo the opposing team? They are students, this is what they do and good for them. I was one once, many moons ago and I boo'd too. I still boo when the opposing team comes out, must still be the student in me. Who cares. You just never get tired of the booing threads.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculously naive. It's like saying that observing the speed limit yourself will cause others to not speed.

HandsyHobo, Your analogy would be accurate if no one challenged a booing hawkeye fan. I was suggesting fans that find booing distasteful confront those that are booing. I think anything that makes boo birds stop and think about what they are doing is worth a try.

However, my suggestion may very well be naive. I am for trying all of the good ideas contained within this thread. My suggestion is just something that I can actually do.

I do think your earlier post declaring an important distinction between hawkeyes and hawkeye fans does seems to be accurate, at least when viewing some more recent posts.

Try to not take it too personally. It's just that booing is a social/cultural phenomenon that nobody at large really thinks about. It's hard to convince someone they shouldn't be booing when they've been doing it since they were four years old.

Anyway, another reason the whole silence thing wouldn't work: the visitors' locker room is right next to the opposing team's fans in Kinnick, so they likely wouldn't hear anything but their own fans cheering for them. Again, as much as I like the idea, it's not feasible at all.

HandsyHobo, Your analogy would be accurate if no one challenged a booing hawkeye fan. I was suggesting fans that find booing distasteful confront those that are booing. I think anything that makes boo birds stop and think about what they are doing is worth a try.

However, my suggestion may very well be naive. I am for trying all of the good ideas contained within this thread. My suggestion is just something that I can actually do.

I do think your earlier post declaring an important distinction between hawkeyes and hawkeye fans does seems to be accurate, at least when viewing some more recent posts.

Ok, I may have been a bit harsh but come on. Booing your own players/team there is no excuse for but there is nothing wrong with booing the opposing team when they come out on the field. And I went to school there so save the distinction crap.

Ok, I may have been a bit harsh but come on. Booing your own players/team there is no excuse for but there is nothing wrong with booing the opposing team when they come out on the field. And I went to school there so save the distinction crap.

I do agree that booing is just a personal thing. It is not evil or anything. My work involves encouraging and developing youth so I probably am "over the top" on this issue. You boo if you want, I will not boo and life goes on. As long as the Hawks win, of course.

Best boo I ever did in Kinnick:

Iowa vs. Miami, 1992.

Miami players ran in, ran up and down the entire field, and mocked the crowd (especially the students section). They earned their boo.

And I still hate Miami.