Let's say Iowa wins out and wins the Big Ten Tournament, could they get a 3 seed?

Just looking at top 25 records, and assuming we are in the 18th spot right now, I'd say our resume would be enough to jump us over the 2 teams directly in front of us regardless of what they did. That would need us to jump 4 more teams to get a 3 seed. Probably all 4 of those teams need to lose one more game in the regular season, then lose in the tournament. Probably pretty early too. A team like Oregon might get jumped with one more loss. Possibly Auburn. But teams like Criegton, Villanova, and Seaton Hall would have to lose twice for sure for us to even have a chance. I suppose it's possible they would throw us a bone because we would have the best resume in the country, but I doubt it.

Two more regular season wins and say 3 wins in the tourney or 2 with the double bye and the hawks would be 25 or 24 and 10 losses. They might jump up to #16 to #12 depending on other teams' outcomes.

But it is not all rankings and the NCAA selection committee is going to also look at losses. Iowa has a lot if "good" losses against rated teams and maybe only two bad losses at NEbby and at IU. This fact could move them ahead of some other non-Big 10 teams in the seedings based on the strength of this league.

I will add if CJF stays healthy, and he played well yesterday, and JW finds his mojo the hawks could be a very tough team in March and I would dare say April. With Pemsl, Kriener, and evelyn playing well the hawks can get into a good rotation with at least 3 scorers on the floor at the same time.

I know late yesterdays game when the turnovers were starting some leadership was getting a rest.

I think so. That'd be five straight including wins at Ill and two more against top 4 B10 teams. We'd only need to jump two seed slots and there will be plenty of other losses out there this time of year.
And if we end up a 4 in that scenario I'd be pissed to be the #1 to go against the Hawks in the second weekend.

I'm likely in the minority, but at this point I'd like to win enough to get a double bye in the B1G tournament and win at least 1 game in the B1G and at least 1 in the Dance. Anything beyond that is gravy. Playing in a B1G Championship game and making Sweet 16 would be so far beyond even the highest expectations I had. They could absolutely do it, just need the dudes firing at the right time.

Who would have possibly thought we'd be talking 20+ wins and a potential 3-7 seed in the dance 3 months ago(or even a month ago really with the impending "Feb slide" . Been a hell of a fun bball year and this team is crazy fun to watch.

Finish strong Hawks. Next 2 games are huge for seeding.

That GawdDamn nebby game haunts.

If we win out in the conference and win 1/2 games in the BTT

We should merit a 4 seed at least

Of course, I am having a difficult time forgetting the last time we had a coveted 4 seed

Sure looked like Haluska was fouled on the last shot

:cool:

Of course, I am having a difficult time forgetting the last time we had a coveted 4 seed

We were a three that fateful day. And if we accomplish the scenario the OP presents, we are no worse than a three. The B1G was consistently weaker in the Alford era than at any time in my forty years plus of watching B1G basketball. If we were a three that year we should easily be one this time around.

Man that would have been awesome if he made that shot. They were chest bumping instead of playing defense.

A 4 or 5 seed would actually be an easier path to the Sweet 16.

How so?

4-5 seed, you're playing a 4/5 in the second round. 3 seed, you're playing a 6 in the second. Not to mention, 4/5 seed and you're on track to play the 1 seed in the Sweet 16. 3 seed, not until the Elite 8. Barring upsets of course.

Higher seed = better.

How so?

4-5 seed, you're playing a 4/5 in the second round. 3 seed, you're playing a 6 in the second. Not to mention, 4/5 seed and you're on track to play the 1 seed in the Sweet 16. 3 seed, not until the Elite 8. Barring upsets of course.

Higher seed = better.

If you get a 4, there is a really good chance you will draw a 12 in the second round. That 5/12 line is treacherous for the 5s. There were 3 upsets in that last year. I think the 6/11 is a slightly more common upset, but it seems like there have been some years recently where the 5/12 has been brutal. Hell, knowing our luck we'll lose out and slide to a 7 and have to play Duke in North Carolina in the second game.

To me, it's a real crap shoot this year with seedings. In many years being a higher seed is obvious, but this year, while it doesn't hurt to be a higher seed, I don't think that a higher seed is necessarily better than a slightly lower seed. I expect a lot of "upsets" this tournament, defined as a lower seed beating a higher seed.

How so?

Higher seed = better.

Interesting fact: 11 seeds historically have had more success getting to the Final 4 than 6,7,9, or 10 seeds

If you get a 4, there is a really good chance you will draw a 12 in the second round. That 5/12 line is treacherous for the 5s. There were 3 upsets in that last year. I think the 6/11 is a slightly more common upset, but it seems like there have been some years recently where the 5/12 has been brutal. Hell, knowing our luck we'll lose out and slide to a 7 and have to play Duke in North Carolina in the second game.

Ugh. I've had enough of that 7/10 line..

You're right that 12 seeds have wreaked some havoc in the past. Are they much more dangerous than 11 seeds, though? It's probably splitting hairs - Either way, we'd be playing a good team in the second round. There really are no BAD teams in the NCAA Tournament, save for maybe a couple of the 16 seeds. I just want to stay out of that 7-10 range more than anything else, though. Get me 6 or better and I'll be pretty happy with that.

That said - I saw Lunardi has us on the 5 line now. Uh oh.

Would love to see the Hawkeyes get a 6 seed or better. I think they have a really good shot but need to protect the home court AGAIN tonight against the Boilermakers

Latest posts