Lets put this loss to Illinois into perspective.

hawkeye12345

Someone mentioned that Illinois was playing for a tie for 2nd place in the Big10 tonight, sure that's factual but look at who they played.

Illinois has played the following teams:

Iowa - twice and won both
Indiana - twice and won both
Penn St - twice and won both
NW - lost one, won one
Purdue - lost
MSU - lost

6-3 in conference

Six of those seven wins came against the bottom three teams in the league. Those three teams have combined for a 9-19 conference record. The NW win was at Illinois and it went to OT.

the big ten is more competitive than people like to give credit for. i think we will see that show up in march too.

I thought I was watching a bad high school game out there today. Illinois is horrible and undisciplined, and I honestly have no idea what I would describe Iowa as. This was just an awful, awful game to be at, not to mention one section of Illinois students completely dominated CHA. Our freaking point guard was getting "air balls" chanted on his own court. So frustrated right now.

Didn't I see a graphic that their next four games are against ranked opponents? I'm guessing they'll be dropping quickly down the standings in the next few weeks. I was not impressed with them at all. We were lucky to be in the game at all considering we seemingly did not score for about fifteen minutes straight in the second half*

*Might be a slight exagerration

Illinois is not a very good team, but we are even worse (obviously). That was an ugly game. The best part of that game was the officiating. They did an outstanding job. They let the teams play. There were only 5 fouls called in the first half. And only about 20 for the whole game. We had no ball movement on offense. So many times if we would have just made quick, crisp passes, we would have found guys wide open. But too many passes were too late or not made at all. And any time we had an advantage (5 on 4, or 4 on 3), we held the ball and let Illinois come back on D. Bad, bad, ugly game. Close losses no longer mean anything. We need to start beating some teams with a pulse.

Latest posts