Let's Not Put This All On the Offense

The loss is mostly on the OL. That being said we should have played a cash guy instead of Neimann imo. It might have saved the 1st touchdown. Other than that it’s really amazing we held them to 17, even gifting them the very short field on the 2nd TD.

Maybe our defense needs to step up...as Hayden said, "If they don't score, we can't lose."

I dont think our defense could have stepped up much more than they did except for maybe getting a turnover or two. Penn St has a lot of really good players skill and athletically. As the defense wore down somewhat PSU's run game got better.

Penn St had a long drive for their first TD but then they needed two short fields to get their other 10 points. Without the two Iowa turnovers Penn St may have only scored 7 points. But as we all know with change circumstances and if Iowa was ahead in the fourth qtr 13 or 14 to 7 then PSU might have pulled out some more tricks and went into 4 down mode to score again.

The defense does not seem to be creating as many turnovers this year, which would help the offense.

I remember in 2004, when Iowa loss all its RB's, the defense was issued a challenge to create more opportunities to help Iowa win games, and the defense responded Big time.

In 2017 and 2018, iowa led the country in total interceptions over those 2 years. Where are those picks this year?

I mean, come on defense, it's time to step it up. You are slacking.

I don't know what some of you are smoking but it must be some good shit.

The defense has been stellar the last two games. Especially considering how long they were on the field due to the poor showing of our offense. Now pass some of that over here............. puff, puff, puff. :cool:

Clifford the big red dog had been flinging it all over prior to playing Iowa, and our D held him down pretty good.

Maybe our defense needs to step up...as Hayden said, "If they don't score, we can't lose."
Dumbest post ever first of all. Secondly, it isn’t just about this game or even this year. Anyone that knows anything about football outside the state borders understands double ferentz is clueless when it comes to offense

While the defense is absolutely the last to blame, the forcing turnovers thing is true. The defense has played extremely well but hasn't helped much with gaining hidden yards via forcing turnovers. The unit is averaging just 1.2 per game, getting only 1 vs Michigan and none against Penn State. An extra possession on short yardage could have helped win the last two one possession games.

upload_2019-10-16_8-47-29.png

It is hard to get interceptions and as far as fumbles they might be easier to create like Stone punching that ball away from Purdy. But also when your offense isnt scoring much it is hard to play a lot of press, super close coverage because getting beat deep one time can be the difference in the game.

I ask you all the question, how many of you thought the long pass on Mich's third possession in the 1st qtr two games ago would lead to a game winning TD and a 10-0 lead?
Right now Parker is playing the bend and dont break against the passing game not trying to give up anything big and let the opponent miss or drop some passes and if they catch short ones rally to make quick tackles.

P Parker may need to also start taking some risks having his lbkrs run blitz more to stop teams on first down as PSU was getting too much yardage on first down by running.

If offense can get 27 points I feel pretty confident the hawks win.

Yes...you are correct sir. The problem is the 5th ranked scoring defense in the country. We can all stop posting now. We've found the answer.
WinOneThisCentury wins the prize for being the first person to recognize sarcasm without a winking emoji having to be used.

The offense is mostly to blame but, in the second half, the D wasn't great. Couldn't get the stop on the last PSU drive. I know it was technically the right play to not try an onside kick at the end of the game, but I said to someone that we should try it because I doubted the defense would get a stop on PSU that last drive. They were gassed and getting gashed too easily.

While the defense is absolutely the last to blame, the forcing turnovers thing is true. The defense has played extremely well but hasn't helped much with gaining hidden yards via forcing turnovers. The unit is averaging just 1.2 per game, getting only 1 vs Michigan and none against Penn State. An extra possession on short yardage could have helped win the last two one possession games.

View attachment 5866

I agree that the defense should be generating more turnovers. Michigan was particularly frustrating because the Wolverine’s offense drops the ball all the time.

I don’t think the problem is as bad as you are portraying it. Iowa’s defense just is playing an insanely low amount of snaps this year. Were they playing a normal number of snaps, their we game averages would probably be around 50% higher.

I agree that the defense should be generating more turnovers. Michigan was particularly frustrating because the Wolverine’s offense drops the ball all the time.

I don’t think the problem is as bad as you are portraying it. Iowa’s defense just is playing an insanely low amount of snaps this year. Were they playing a normal number of snaps, their we game averages would probably be around 50% higher.

Interesting take. I actually think the difference is as stagnant as our offense is opposing offenses feel they can play as vanilla and as conservative as they want as we simply cannot find the end zone. It's easy for opposing offenses not to turn the ball over when they don't really have to worry about putting up an over abundance of points to outscore our offense. I hate saying it, but from where I see it were getting beat at our own game.

I was just pointing out the stat. Teams tend to score off of turnovers as it completely switches the momentum and tends to allow shorter field position for the offense. That said, you make a good point.

Based on what you said I looked up the plays per game our opponents have had. Iowa is #1 in the nation giving up only 58.5 plays per game to the opposition. That's impressive. This stat could be misleading if the defense was giving up a ton of home runs but they are not.

upload_2019-10-16_13-39-24.png

Latest posts