Lets get excited, who on the roster benefits the most from uptempo ball?

DuffMan

When I look at our roster I see 3 players that really benefit from uptempo style of ball.

1) Aaron Fuller. The way he closed the year he would have been a beast regardless of the system but I think he will flourish in an uptempto system. Transition misses are an offensive rebounders dream. The D rarely has time to set and get a body on someone. Someone with a knack for finding the crease and who is quick off the floor will dominate in those situations.

2) Eric May. The dribble drive is not his strong suit (yet), the open floor one or two bounce take off from 6 feet out up high down hard is, I see lots of potential for ESPN highlights for this guy.

3) Archie. The book on archie is long, quick, good hops. On the defensive side of things he seems taylor made to be the guy on the ball out of bounds. Iowa had along list of long quick hustle guys to cover the guy taking the ball in he could be the first since Ryan Bowen. On offense big men that can run the floor, jump, and finish have lots of fun in this kind of system. If you aren't already familiar with the term "rim runner" you will be soon.

Great! Now all they need is a bench so they won't get exhausted running up and down the floor all game.

I think Cully will benefit as well. Passing in the open court is a lot easier than in a set offense with defensive pressure all the time. Plus he's a good enough shooter, along with Gatens, that those secondary transition jumpers should be easier to hit.

I think Gatens. He will get more open looks in scramble situations - that is if we can run. It is hard to tell the way we played the last few years. I think everyone will benefit with more energy used to attack instead of working so hard to just make the right pass.

Agreed Cully benefits. People dont realize that you don't have to be super athletic to be effective in the running game. In fact a running scheeme often benefits players that are less atheltic. It takes a lot more do drive the ball in a half court set than it does to push the ball and attack gaps in transition. I also see lots of transition 3's in Matt Gatens future.

Heres a plus too. I've got to belive the current recruits would be excited to play as well.

I know that McCabe will be excited to play in an uptempo type game. Sounds like RMJr is already thinking that this style matches his style. I can't imagine that Brust wouldn't want to be in this system. The one recruit I can't grasp is Larson, I don't know enough about him.

I know that McCabe will be excited to play in an uptempo type game. Sounds like RMJr is already thinking that this style matches his style. I can't imagine that Brust wouldn't want to be in this system. The one recruit I can't grasp is Larson, I don't know enough about him.

I've seen Larsen pick them up and put them down in AAU games. This guy isn't a plodder, he will do just fine.

It would be nice to see a "burner" brought in that can handle the ball. Some one that can really get out in transition.

Cully Payne, Ben Brust and the other lead guard I hope they're going to sign this Spring--because this is a push-and-attack offense and places a premium on ballhandlers.

anybody who can just spot up and shoot 3's on the break. of course you'd have to have a guy who can make them

Cougs might be alright in spurts. I think Cougs can be useful, but he will always need to play limited minutes. He could be deadly as a trailer on the break (and his butt will always be the trailer). Play Cougs in a few 4 minutes spurts, for 12 or so minutes a game.

Cougs may be able to do somethings. Hopefully, he's working his arse off to get into better shape this off-season and turn some of the extra weight into useful weight. If he does this, he'll be able to help next year.

Cougs can be the guy who comes down and dunks the previous two attempts that were missed in transistion. Ideal trailer on the break.

I'm not convinced the current roster has enough team speed to run a fast break and come up with easy points on a consistent basis.

Hopefully the tempo will help bring in better recruits that will improve the team's overall speed.

I think Gatens benefits, without question. He was completely stifled in Lickliter's system. Get him away from ball screens in a more open court, and he could do quite well. I'd love to see a ball-handler come along and let Cully play the two- ultimately, I don't think Cully has the patience or vision to be a standout PG, but could be a nice SG.

Quick take:

Cully- yes
May-yes
gatens- maybe
fuller-yes
Cole- no
cougill-no
Brommer-maybe
Archie-yes
Brust-maybe
Marble-yes
McCabe-maybe
Larson-yes

That gives me 6 ''yes'' ,4 ''maybe'' and 2 ''no''....

Not sure that is enough ''yes's'' to really play this style flat out from day one...might have to adjust to our lack of speed.

Latest posts