Lets get a coach who can keep'em home!

hawkytalk

If a new coach is on the horizon,I hope he has the success,personality and charisma to keep our instate talent home. I am tired of watching Willams in our state signing autographs for fans at our state tournament!

Get the best player in Iowa each year and then look elsewhere for the talent needed to compete at a high level.

Lets be honest, Iowa is not loaded with D1 basketball players.

Bring me the guy who can get the signed LOI of Chasson Randle,Marcus Paige,Wes Staten,and Peter Jok....if he can do that, he can fill in the roster from the rest of the midwest.

I saw that Adam Woodbury scored 24 points in the class 4-A consolation game yesterday. It has been mentioned that he has grown up as a Hawk fan but I heard that he has also been to Kansas. I hope whoever the Iowa coach is can keep him and Marcus Paige in state.

I saw that Adam Woodbury scored 24 points in the class 4-A consolation game yesterday. It has been mentioned that he has grown up as a Hawk fan but I heard that he has also been to Kansas. I hope whoever the Iowa coach is can keep him and Marcus Paige in state.

Would love to see a 7 foot big, like Adam Woodbury, commit to this program. Also, think that Iowa should have gone after and possibly still could offer Jordan Dykstra. The kid is 6'9" tall, very athletic and won 2 state championships.........ie.......he is a winner.

Woodbury is so overrated. He may be 7 feet tall, but he is slow, can't jump, weak and well... nevermind, as long as Lick is here he fits the bill just fine.

Woodbury is so overrated. He may be 7 feet tall, but he is slow, can't jump, weak and well... nevermind, as long as Lick is here he fits the bill just fine.

That is such bullcrap, and sounds like a shot from someone who got schooled by Woodbury or maybe and angry parent of a kid that got schooled by Woodbury. Either way it is bull. Woodbury will be the most dominate player in Iowa over the next 2 seasons, count on it.

I also think if Lick is still the coach neither Woodbury, Paige or Jok will end up at Iowa.

btw, Woodbury was 3rd in scoring at the state tourny and 1st in rebounds and made the all-tournament team as a sophomore (only soph on the team).

Last edited:
I'll also want a couple of those really thick, aggressive, and athletic 6'9'' guys, that really have no refined offensive skills but grab offensive rebound, block shots, dunk, and generally just knock people around. It seems like all the good teams in the Big East have these guys, so does KSU. Probably have to go outstate for them though.

In all seriousness though, to be successful we need get most of the Top 150 recruits this state produces. Our best teams in last the 15 years have primarily been led by Iowa high school kids. We have to be serious players for a kid like Randle, he grew up 1 hour from Iowa City. Unfortunately, I don't think kids in this state want to play here right now. But I believe kids and their parents want to believe in Iowa (see Iowa football), I bet they wish Iowa was a viable option. If we get a coach in here with some charisma, who can sell himself and the program, these kids will listen. And the kids the original poster named is key to turning this program around.

Last edited:
Kids that are 6'10 will dominate Iowa High School basketball but that doesn't mean they will be great college players. Woodbury may turn out to be great but way too early to tell. Egleseder dominated high school bball too but he didn't get the big time looks because of his athleticism (him committing early to UNI played a little part too).