Let's Do Some Math

Cover3

I don't think we need to fire Kirk. In fact, I would say I even advocate for letting him have a shot to bounce back with the 2011 & 2012 recruits. But, just how prohibitive is his buyout? This is undoubtedly simplistic in some or many ways, but to get an idea:

$20,000,000 / 70,585 seats in Kinnick = $283.35
$283.35 / 7 home games per year = $40.48
$40.48 / 8 years to spread it over (?) = $5.06

So every five dollars the ticket price is increased (yes, demand was much more inelastic in 2010), the Athletic Department rakes in just about enough additional revenue to account for $20M over eight years.

Again, not advocating for his firing, but a lot of people on here who seem to think we're stuck until 2020 often say something like "unless you have $20M...." There's money out there.

You forget the 'cost of money'.... your scenario has 4-5 million in interest payments

I tried to disclaim any claim to economic precision. Generally, the idea is that spreading the cost out, it can at least be substantially offset by marginal increases in pricing, which in the past were used to pay to renovate the stadium. Program renovation, anyone?

At first glance, I thought the thread title was "Let's Do Some METH".

Latest posts