Legitimate Available Coaches?

DunderMifflinHk

Who are some coaches out there that we could legitimately go after? I've seen some people talking about Bruce Pearl and Bob Knight which seem ridiculous to me. Not going to happen. But what about Keno? Would he be interested? Who else?

Brian Gregory of Dayton is a coach I want to see at Iowa State if/when Greg McDermott leaves. He's a Tom Izzo disciple and his teams are usually at the top of the A10 Conference. Much better than Horizon or Missouri Valley. I just hope no one snatches him up.

If Lick is fired in the next year or two I think Iowa will have to get creative to find a new coach. Our program will be in shambles and with poor facilities, poor attendance, and few natural recruiting bases. Most coaches will have forgot that it is possible to win here (it will have been about 15 years since we had consistently competitive teams). I think coaches that have or believe in the coming years will have other options will not come to Iowa, and will simply view this position as a place you can't win at.

Barta will have to do his homework. Identify what the strenghts and challenges of this program are. Identify what type of coach is needed to play to our strenghts and overcome our weaknesses. Barta will they have to scourt unheradled guys (there are plenty) who either are assistants or have had moderate success at other levels.

In basketball teams always higher that coach of the mid-major who makes a post-season run. However, that coaches fleeting success does not ensure he will successful in a different situation. And sometimes a mid-major coach with moderate success might be the perfect fit at your school (See Kirk Ferentz who had a losing record at football powerhouse Maine). Barta just needs to do some serious self-assement of the program and identify what type of coach is needed to revitalize the program, and then go find that type of coach (regardless of hype).

Good luck finding one that wants to tackle this wreck...and that is scary because the option is most likely going to be another mid-major promotion, which hasn't worked out so well the past 2 times...

If Lick is fired in the next year or two I think Iowa will have to get creative to find a new coach. Our program will be in shambles and with poor facilities, poor attendance, and few natural recruiting bases. Most coaches will have forgot that it is possible to win here (it will have been about 15 years since we had consistently competitive teams). I think coaches that have or believe in the coming years will have other options will not come to Iowa, and will simply view this position as a place you can't win at.

Barta will have to do his homework. Identify what the strenghts and challenges of this program are. Identify what type of coach is needed to play to our strenghts and overcome our weaknesses. Barta will they have to scourt unheradled guys (there are plenty) who either are assistants or have had moderate success at other levels.

In basketball teams always higher that coach of the mid-major who makes a post-season run. However, that coaches fleeting success does not ensure he will successful in a different situation. And sometimes a mid-major coach with moderate success might be the perfect fit at your school (See Kirk Ferentz who had a losing record at football powerhouse Maine). Barta just needs to do some serious self-assement of the program and identify what type of coach is needed to revitalize the program, and then go find that type of coach (regardless of hype).

With the renovations to Carver, the facilities will be very much improved.

Keno is an A-hole. Ask anyone from Drake off the record. Amy Stephens didn't like him, his players didn't like him. After their tournament loss, there was no contact between keno and any of the players until he left... and they found out through the media. Off the record over there, people didnt care much for him. They just all make nice for the camera

Alright here a couple of names. I'm not sure how realistic any are but I haven't heard them thrown around too much.

- Pat Knight, it'd be a return to the B10 and even Iowa has a better following than Lubbock.

- Keno Davis. I wouldn't want him unless he can get a great ex-player who could help recruit. Ideally BJ Armstrong but isn't he Derrick Rose's agent (long shot either way). And for the record I think that Drake team was over rated.

- Steve Forbes (as previously rec. by McHawkin) Asst for Tennessee.

- Craig Robinson, keep him on the back burner we'll see how OSU responds from their 50 pt beatdown from Seattle. He took a 6-23 team (winless in PAC-10) and they were over .500 his first year. Not sure why he'd go to Iowa.

- Ben Jacobsen, Northern Iowa. ESPN threw his name out there for DePaul would make the Iowa-ISU games interesting.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we had to go an Asst. Coach route or take a chance on a coach. I just wanted other peoples opinions on this

Alright here a couple of names. I'm not sure how realistic any are but I haven't heard them thrown around too much.

- Pat Knight, it'd be a return to the B10 and even Iowa has a better following than Lubbock.

- Keno Davis. I wouldn't want him unless he can get a great ex-player who could help recruit. Ideally BJ Armstrong but isn't he Derrick Rose's agent (long shot either way). And for the record I think that Drake team was over rated.

- Steve Forbes (as previously rec. by McHawkin) Asst for Tennessee.

- Craig Robinson, keep him on the back burner we'll see how OSU responds from their 50 pt beatdown from Seattle. He took a 6-23 team (winless in PAC-10) and they were over .500 his first year. Not sure why he'd go to Iowa.

- Ben Jacobsen, Northern Iowa. ESPN threw his name out there for DePaul would make the Iowa-ISU games interesting.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we had to go an Asst. Coach route or take a chance on a coach. I just wanted other peoples opinions on this

Why in the hell would Ben Jacobson take a step down and go to DePaul? ESPN blows...

Gregg Marshall - Wichita State
Brian Gregory - Dayton
Tim Jankovich - Illinois State
Doug Wojcik - Tulsa