Leftovers

Cover3

Consensus seems to be that we currently recruit Ohio State's leftovers from Ohio, and similar ideas like that. I'll concede that it's tough to recruit to Iowa, and that we'll always be getting someone's leftovers, but what happened to the Florida pipeline from the early Ferentz years? Was that a Philbin thing? Here's a list of guys who were leftovers, but they were Florida, Florida State, and Miami's leftovers:

Mo Brown
Colin Cole
Fred Barr
C.J. Jones
Brad Banks
Antwan Allen
George Lewis
Abdul Hodge
Damian Sims
Marcus Paschal

Also, it appears Ferentz's teams used to get a good deal of Texas's leftovers (e.g.):

Jon Babineaux
Scott Chandler
Drew Tate
Ken Iwebema
Clinton Solomon

Looking at our current roster, there are still a few Texas guys, but only one from Florida. I know it's not easy to convince guys to come up here from down there, but I think I'd like our chances better scooping up guys destined for Sun Belt teams/Kentucky than destined for the MAC/Indiana. I was all on board for grabbing the top mid-Atlantic guys too, like we were a couple years ago, but our current play and the Coker fiasco may end that.

Listen buddy, just be thankful for what we have right now:
Head coach, Kirk Ferentz
Asst coach, Brian Ferentz
Center, James Ferentz
Redshirt, Steve Ferentz

No other college football program can boast such a lineup.

It doesn't matter where recruits come from if they have talent, what it boils down to is coaching and execution and Craptain Kurk is dropping the ball. We will never be Alabama, O$U, Notre Dame, LSU and I say those schools because they are typically pretty good and I don't see them having much to offer kids besides better coaching and donors paying them (or their parents) to go there. We will always be middle of the pack with a few special years thrown in, get use to it.

In the earlier years of KF's time here, I thought I had heard that Bielema was recruiting some of those guys from FL.. Not sure if that is accurate or not, but obviously BB is no longer here to recruit for us.

It doesn't matter where recruits come from if they have talent, what it boils down to is coaching and execution and Craptain Kurk is dropping the ball. We will never be Alabama, O$U, Notre Dame, LSU and I say those schools because they are typically pretty good and I don't see them having much to offer kids besides better coaching and donors paying them (or their parents) to go there. We will always be middle of the pack with a few special years thrown in, get use to it.

You're right, it doesn't matter where they come from if they have talent. But Florida and Texas leftovers are typically more talented than Ohio leftovers. Just look at those lists. An awful lot of the Hawks' key players in that magical 3-year run came from either Florida or Texas.

Great topic TM and I agree..

I really despise those who say recruiting classes don't matter.. KF had opportunity to take this program to the next level and failed. I remember 8 or 9 years ago being able to see Iowa's name with most of the big time recruits in the country on teams interested, so what happen to that..

KF has downgraded this program with the we are just a developmental program crap talk...

Great topic TM and I agree..

I really despise those who say recruiting classes don't matter.. KF had opportunity to take this program to the next level and failed. I remember 8 or 9 years ago being able to see Iowa's name with most of the big time recruits in the country on teams interested, so what happen to that..

KF has downgraded this program with the we are just a developmental program crap talk...

Yep. Anecdotally and offhand, it seems that right about the time his reputation for development was really getting strong, it felt like the program model became to rely on developing a bunch of 2-stars, rather than having a couple of those guys surprise and push us over the top.

Maybe my memory is fading, but I thought Kaz was in charge of recruiting Florida. I just remember my old man calling me up and telling me how excited Nebraska was to have such a stellar Florida recruiter in the mix. I just laughed.

Total 4 and 5 star recruits that committed to Iowa.. Taken from Scout.

2002 thru 2007 = 25

2008 thru 2013 = 12

Maybe my memory is fading, but I thought Kaz was in charge of recruiting Florida. I just remember my old man calling me up and telling me how excited Nebraska was to have such a stellar Florida recruiter in the mix. I just laughed.

I'll thank you not to mention the Turncoat again on this board.

Latest posts