Left tackle Scherff grows into role for Hawkeyes

HawkeyeHypnosis

QCTimes

From article:

IOWA CITY — Brandon Scherff has grown into the idea of adding his name to the long list of success stories the Iowa football program has enjoyed at left tackle.

He said he frequently watched film with Reiff, an experience that both helped him in his own situation at left guard and gain a better understanding of how Reiff approached things from the tackle position.

“He was able to critique what I would do and what he would do and that’s helped me a lot,â€￾ Scherff said. “He told me to approach every play like it’s your last.â€￾

“There is a tradition on good line play at Iowa and while we lost a few starters from last season (Iowa must replace three offensive linemen), the expectations for how we execute do not go away,â€￾ Scherff said. “We plan to continue to play at high level, just like the guys who came before us. That’s part of playing football at Iowa.â€￾

Iowa has had some great Offensive Tackles, Bryan Bulaga, Robert Gallery, Riley Reiff..........Brandon Scherf may have the best Physical skill set of any of the group listed, here.

Thanks for sharing. I believe this kid is going to be great! Only a redshirt sophmore, on leadership team, and was a multisport star in baseball, basketball, football, and track in high school.

We don't rebuild, we just reload on the O/L.

He's definitely one of the keys to the season. He struggled last year in my opinion at guard. If you watch the Pitt and Michigan games, he got beat or let guys get shots at JVB. On the positive side, when he got on someone in the run game, it was a beautiful thing...he just hammered people.

On the island that left tackle is, he's visible, and has huge responsibility. It won't take long for us to figure out if he is the next Bulaga or Reiff. Both those guys stepped in early (actually earlier - RS Freshmen) and more than held their own, so lets just say it's not out of the ordinary at Iowa for him to excel this year. I believe tackle probably suits him better than guard with his size and how he moves. Guard also has more complex assignments in the running and passing game.

If he excels and handles this position...our O-line will be very good.

Latest posts