Least Impactful Positions to have Multiple First Round Draftees

GesterHawk

Let start this off with this is in no way a dig on TJ or Noah. I am super happy for them and the Hawks.

That said - after reading several articles and a bunch of threads on various message boards on the topic of why Iowa's overall offense was not better two first round draftees at TE, I began to wonder what positions had the most and the least direct impact when having two first round draftees in a single year.

4. QB
3. TE
2. Center
1. FB - Least impactful

Most impactful - WR followed closely by OT.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I say who the F cares? Iowa had 2 stud tight ends. Can 2 stud tight ends win you a big ten title? Clearly not.

Football takes a village. Iowa football in 2018 lacked in a ton of areas and got exposed as they should have. It wasn't the TE position that was holding them back. TJ and Fant were studs and Iowa helped turn them into studs. Be happy about that.

Let start this off with this is in no way a dig on TJ or Noah. I am super happy for them and the Hawks.

That said - after reading several articles and a bunch of threads on various message boards on the topic of why Iowa's overall offense was not better two first round draftees at TE, I began to wonder what positions had the most and the least direct impact of having two first round draftees in a single year.

4. QB
3. TE
2. Center
1. FB - Least impactful

Most impactful - WR followed closely by OT.

What are your thoughts?

Maybe I am slow, but I had to read this 4 times before I understood what you were trying to say.

Now you got me curious what kind of offense could produce 2 FB that are first round draft choices.

Two great TEs may not have lead us to a B1G title, but they might have kept us from going 6-6 with a bowl loss! Perspective, people... Perspective!

Maybe I am slow, but I had to read this 4 times before I understood what you were trying to say.

Now you got me curious what kind of offense could produce 2 FB that are first round draft choices.
Sorry Guffus, I cleaned it up a bit so that it might be easier to understand.

And as far as the fullbacks, if there would be any offense that could get it done, it would be Iowa's or.the 2009 Georgia.Tech offense.

I say who the F cares? Iowa had 2 stud tight ends. Can 2 stud tight ends win you a big ten title? Clearly not.

Football takes a village. Iowa football in 2018 lacked in a ton of areas and got exposed as they should have. It wasn't the TE position that was holding them back. TJ and Fant were studs and Iowa helped turn them into studs. Be happy about that.

Well...I'm as befuddled as the rest of you why this two-first-round-dream-team was mismanaged all year.

Coaching and lack of execution in two critical plays during the season cost us a title.

Well...I'm as befuddled as the rest of you why this two-first-round-dream-team was mismanaged all year.

Coaching and lack of execution in two critical plays during the season cost us a title.

Were they mismanaged though? One of them won the Mackey award for the best tight end in the country and the other was a first team all big ten player and 3rd team all American.

Let's examine:

1. We lost the Wisconsin game because of a special teams blunder.
2. We lost the PSU game because of a goal line blunder by our QB (and TE).
3. We lost the Purdue game because we had to start 2 freshmen corners
4. We lost the NW game because someone finally found out that we had no run defense up the middle.

So yeah, I'd say having 2 NFL caliber starting TEs has nothing to do with us being able to turn those losses into wins....

Latest posts