Learfield Sports

iowamike21

After watching the game and the replay, I decided to go old school and listen to the excitement of the final minutes as described by Gary Dolphin and Ed Podolak. What a disappointment. Dolphin may be a great guy, but he was a weak announcer when he took over the job, and he's only gotten worse, if the Michigan game is any indication. And Ed, well, I respect Ed and have enjoyed his commentary over the years, but he's past his prime, too.

So instead of enjoying a thrilling account of an exciting Hawkeye win, I was sorry I had bothered. If I hadn't already seen the game, I would have had NO idea what was going on down on the field. And what happened to the crowd noise. It sounded like the broadcast was being done in a soundproof booth. I could hardly ever hear, even faintly, any roar of the crowd.

I know it's popular for many to mock Jim Zabel, but I grew up listening to him, and there's no doubt he was one of the greatest sports broadcasters of all time. Mr. Dolphin can't carry his mic stand. Thank goodness I can go back to watching every game knowing I'm not missing anything on the radio broadcast.

It's almost like Dolph refuses to tell you what's going on as he wants you to use your imagination. I didn't hear his final call but I wouldn't doubt it if you had no idea it was a TD or an incomplete pass for at least 5 seconds after it was over. He is just really delayed and non descript calling plays.

Thats to bad, I always loved listening to game on the radio. On a side note, if I never have to listen to that woman (I think espn 2) again it will be to soon. She did a game for us this year and I tried to watch another game she was doing and had to turn it off, I cant stand her, the sound of her voice or her lack of football knowledge.

i turn down the tv sound and turn up the radio for every game - no matter if the tv and radio sound are off by 1 second, or not. I love listening to those guys.

I couldn't disagree more. Eddie P brings a tremendous amount of insight and knowledge to the game. I don't have a problem with Dolph either.

A year or two ago people on here were complaining about Dolph not saying what down it was. I had never noticed it so the next game I made a tally mark for every time Dolph mentioned the down. I learned that reality had nothing in common with what the people were complaining about.

Iike Dolph and think he does a good job.

Ed has stepped up his game this year. He delivery is more crisp and is generally easier to listen than is years past.

Thats to bad, I always loved listening to game on the radio. On a side note, if I never have to listen to that woman (I think espn 2) again it will be to soon. She did a game for us this year and I tried to watch another game she was doing and had to turn it off, I cant stand her, the sound of her voice or her lack of football knowledge.

I think it was two years ago...seemed like we were on espn2 like 6 times and Pam Ward was the announcer for all of those games. I just remember her calling a lot of our games a few years back.

I think it was two years ago...seemed like we were on espn2 like 6 times and Pam Ward was the announcer for all of those games. I just remember her calling a lot of our games a few years back.

yeah, I dont know her name, but she sucks, and not in a good way.

i had to listen to the game and was confused by the worst radio guys in the biz. I got home last night and watched the game and it was not even close to what was described on the radio. I don't need award winning guys in there, just want to know what is happening, where the ball is, and how much time is left. Dolph is not good at describing plays. Just very confusing.

I'm fine with Dolph and Ed. Have you tried listening to John Walters??? We have a much better tandem then try do so might be thankful for what we do have.

Dolph is NOT a good play by play guy. Just really seems to be doing TV instead of radio. I noticed this a couple if years ago.

He had to have been better than the Michigan scum they had calling the game on ESPN, they just ****** me off with there never ending boo hooing about Michigan not getting calls. Dolph had to have been better than them, no matter how bad it was.

I just watched the game I recorded when I got home last night....wow Spielman makes me sick...and I used to like him...but they were so pro Michigan it wasn't even funny...

I just watched the game I recorded when I got home last night....wow Spielman makes me sick...and I used to like him...but they were so pro Michigan it wasn't even funny...

I normally/used to love Speils but he was diffenetly drinking that maze and blue cool aid yesterday. Pasch, dont get me started. They are still better then Gary and Verne during Lsu game thou. Those guys are turrible.

i turn down the tv sound and turn up the radio for every game - no matter if the tv and radio sound are off by 1 second, or not. I love listening to those guys.

I do the same thing.....Living in CO I stream the radio broadcast and turn down the volume on the TV.

I think both Dolph and Eddie do good job. I'd rather listen to these guys rather than the TV broadcasters.

For those Zabel lovers how soon we forget. Zabel we the WORST and deciphering where the ball was on the field. YOu could NEVER tell what yardline anybody was on he was always off by 10 yds.

Latest posts