Leadership.... Or, lack thereof

But, what this team has lacked more than anything the last two seasons is grit and on-court leadership. Luka tries, but, as an underclassman, it really shouldn't be his role.
Why exactly? I want the hardest working and best player on the team to set the tone and be the leader. That's Garza IMO. Try telling Kentucky, Duke, etc. that their best players...often freshmen...should not be gritty or show on-court leadership. This is a ridiculous observation, opinion, comment...whatever it is.

I love Garza, and I think he's the most consistent, gutsy, and best player on this year's team. But his quote is simply wrong. Iowa is not better than the Gophers. It's important to face reality in order to believe in your heart you have to get better. Michigan also likes to spread teams out, and they're a heckuva lot better than MN, so Fran and the boys better get it figured out by Friday night!
MN was better than Iowa yesterday. But they were playing at home on 5 days rest. Iowa was playing on the road after 3 days rest...right after playing MSU. Put them on a neutral court with equal rest and I think Iowa takes 7 out of 10.

MN was better than Iowa yesterday. But they were playing at home on 5 days rest. Iowa was playing on the road after 3 days rest...right after playing MSU. Put them on a neutral court with equal rest and I think Iowa takes 7 out of 10.
We will now get five days rest and play Michigan at home, who I believe has Ohio State tonight or tomorrow.

Michigan will be the one playing on three days rest and having to travel. We could use a break and I hope Fran runs them lightly for a couple days.

Would you include Connor in this? He seems a little temperamental to me, a possibility though IMO
Yes, in the future, right now he is just so uncertain about his shot and such insecurity is tough to have and to lead at the same time. I like him as a player.

Yes, in the future, right now he is just so uncertain about his shot and such insecurity is tough to have and to lead at the same time. I like him as a player.
Would you include Connor in this? He seems a little temperamental to me, a possibility though IMO
Connor is a QB type of player, with smarts but average physical ability. He is a great guy to have, but as your 7-8 guy where he isn't under pressure to produce. Doesn't make many dumb plays. Is often over-matched physically. Patience with him, just getting into it, young.

Connor is a QB type of player, with smarts but average physical ability. He is a great guy to have, but as your 7-8 guy where he isn't under pressure to produce. Doesn't make many dumb plays. Is often over-matched physically. Patience with him, just getting into it, young.
I think he's actually pretty quick for a 6'5" guy and is a lot stronger than most guards he'll go up against - footspeed though is another story, I feel he brings a toughness and attitude that few other players on the team do - maybe Pemsl

Why exactly? I want the hardest working and best player on the team to set the tone and be the leader. That's Garza IMO. Try telling Kentucky, Duke, etc. that their best players...often freshmen...should not be gritty or show on-court leadership. This is a ridiculous observation, opinion, comment...whatever it is.
I'm not saying he can't or shouldn't be the leader at all. The point is that, ideally, your upperclassmen should set the tone and be the leaders in any sport. Leadership is about experience and maturity, not ability.

The reality is that the younger guys generally look to the veterans for guidance and leadership. IMO, if a team has to rely upon a freshman to be the leader and hardest worker, then there is a problem with that particularly team.

I think he's actually pretty quick for a 6'5" guy and is a lot stronger than most guards he'll go up against - footspeed though is another story, I feel he brings a toughness and attitude that few other players on the team do - maybe Pemsl
Concur, and notice, he almost always plays with his head up.

Latest posts