Lead Pipe Locks & Stone Cold Upsets - Week 9

SteveDeace

Last Week: 8-3
Overall: 44-51
Best Bets: 5-3

Odds based on opening lines and home team is in all CAPS.

Rutgers +8 over CONNECTICUT
Expect an emotional letdown here for Huskies after events of the past week. Scarlet Knights have also covered their last five on the road. Rutgers 23, Connecticut 21

Indiana +17.5 over IOWA
Hawkeyes are a banged up football team, including the losses of their best running back and offensive lineman. Iowa defense is allowing nearly three times as many points per game at home than they are on the road. Expect a letdown here. Iowa 24, Indiana 13

Georgia +16 over Florida
The team coming off a bye is 13-1 in this series, and this year that is the Dawgs. Mark Richt is 10-2 against the spread coming off a bye, too. Revenge factor here favors the Dawgs here as well, as they outgained Florida last year but got blown out with four turnovers. I think Florida is really in trouble here. Florida 23, Georgia 17

VIRGINIA -6.5 over Duke
Revenge game here for Cavaliers, who got routed 31-3 in this game a year ago. Virginia had won seven of the previous eight meetings by double-digits. Cavaliers also looking to bounce back after bad loss to Georgia Tech at home last week. Virginia 24, Duke 14

Michigan-ILLINOIS over 53.5
Eight of the Wolverines' last 10 road games have gone over the total. Both teams' defenses are giving up nearly four touchdowns per game. By the way, I'm 5-2 picking Michigan games against the spread so far this season. Michigan 31, Illinois 24

MINNESOTA +6 over Michigan State

Gophers have covered six of the last eight in the series, and the Spartans have to be due for an emotional letdown after last week's crushing home loss to Iowa that took them out of the Big Ten title race. Minnesota 16, Michigan State 14

OREGON +3 over Southern California
Nobody is playing better football right now than the Ducks. Trojans have covered just one of their last five games, and just one of their last seven on the road. Oregon has covered five straight and covered four of the last six meetings at Autzen Stadium. Oregon defense is in the top 20 in the nation in scoring defense, and they have a clear experience advantage at quarterback here. Oregon 24, USC 20

Iowa State +6.5 over TEXAS A&M
Don't mess with a streak. Cyclones have covered five straight games and the Aggies have covered just three of their last 10 games, and four of their last 13 at home. Iowa State has the best running game in the Big 12, and that should chew clock and keep the score close. Texas A&M 24, Iowa State 21

UNLV +32.5 over TCU
Looking for a letdown here after the big road win for the Horned Frogs. The Rebels still average nearly 28 points per game, so they're at least good for a touchdown or two against a team on letdown alert. Last time the Horned Frogs got a big road win at Clemson they failed to cover the next week at home at SMU. Same situation here. TCU 38, UNLV 17

Washington State +30 over NOTRE DAME (best bet)
Lot of points for the Irish to lay at a neutral site, especially since they've covered just one of their last six games against the spread. I know the Cougars are terrible, but Notre Dame hasn't beaten a BCS Conference school by this many points since a 57-7 win over Stanford in 2003. Notre Dame 41, Washington State 17

South Carolina +6.5 over TENNESSEE
Going against myself here, because usually when the unranked team is favored over the ranked team that's a sign it's a trap game. But South Carolina hasn't lost a game against the spread in Knoxville in its last six trips. It's quarterback play has been more consistent all season, and the Gamecocks have more quality wins. Since 2000 the average margin of victory in this series is just 7 points per game . Spurrier will have his team ready this week because of a controversial coaching clash with Lane Kiffin in the offseason. Tennessee 17, South Carolina 16

Central Michigan +6 over BOSTON COLLEGE
Eagles are beat up, and the Chippewas have a huge advantage here at quarterback, not to mention the fact that statistically they're the better team across the board. Central Michigan has also covered four of its last five road games. Wrong team is favored. Central Michigan 23, Boston College 22

This is my favorite Friday thread... thanks Deace! Last week, you helped me win $464 on a 5 team parlay. I took the under on that AZ game, and took BC, Iowa + under, Iowa State.

Hey Deace...how do you go about picking which games you are going to select? Random? For example, what made you select Virginia v. Duke or CMU v. BC?

Thanks!

Great post, good morning read! I brought my lap top into my porecelin office this morning instead of the paper. A little Deace while I take care of a little duce. Thank you good sir!

Go Hawks. Go freaking hawks.

Last Week: 8-3
Overall: 44-51
Best Bets: 5-3

Odds based on opening lines and home team is in all CAPS.

Rutgers +8 over CONNECTICUT
Expect an emotional letdown here for Huskies after events of the past week. Scarlet Knights have also covered their last five on the road. Rutgers 23, Connecticut 21

Indiana +17.5 over IOWA
Hawkeyes are a banged up football team, including the losses of their best running back and offensive lineman. Iowa defense is allowing nearly three times as many points per game at home than they are on the road. Expect a letdown here. Iowa 24, Indiana 13

Georgia +16 over Florida
The team coming off a bye is 13-1 in this series, and this year that is the Dawgs. Mark Richt is 10-2 against the spread coming off a bye, too. Revenge factor here favors the Dawgs here as well, as they outgained Florida last year but got blown out with four turnovers. I think Florida is really in trouble here. Florida 23, Georgia 17

VIRGINIA -6.5 over Duke
Revenge game here for Cavaliers, who got routed 31-3 in this game a year ago. Virginia had won seven of the previous eight meetings by double-digits. Cavaliers also looking to bounce back after bad loss to Georgia Tech at home last week. Virginia 24, Duke 14

Michigan-ILLINOIS over 53.5
Eight of the Wolverines' last 10 road games have gone over the total. Both teams' defenses are giving up nearly four touchdowns per game. By the way, I'm 5-2 picking Michigan games against the spread so far this season. Michigan 31, Illinois 24

Gophers have covered six of the last eight in the series, and the Spartans have to be due for an emotional letdown after last week's crushing home loss to Iowa that took them out of the Big Ten title race. Minnesota 16, Michigan State 14

OREGON +3 over Southern California
Nobody is playing better football right now than the Ducks. Trojans have covered just one of their last five games, and just one of their last seven on the road. Oregon has covered five straight and covered four of the last six meetings at Autzen Stadium. Oregon defense is in the top 20 in the nation in scoring defense, and they have a clear experience advantage at quarterback here. Oregon 24, USC 20

Iowa State +6.5 over TEXAS A&M
Don't mess with a streak. Cyclones have covered five straight games and the Aggies have covered just three of their last 10 games, and four of their last 13 at home. Iowa State has the best running game in the Big 12, and that should chew clock and keep the score close. Texas A&M 24, Iowa State 21

UNLV +32.5 over TCU
Looking for a letdown here after the big road win for the Horned Frogs. The Rebels still average nearly 28 points per game, so they're at least good for a touchdown or two against a team on letdown alert. Last time the Horned Frogs got a big road win at Clemson they failed to cover the next week at home at SMU. Same situation here. TCU 38, UNLV 17

Washington State +30 over NOTRE DAME (best bet)
Lot of points for the Irish to lay at a neutral site, especially since they've covered just one of their last six games against the spread. I know the Cougars are terrible, but Notre Dame hasn't beaten a BCS Conference school by this many points since a 57-7 win over Stanford in 2003. Notre Dame 41, Washington State 17

South Carolina +6.5 over TENNESSEE
Going against myself here, because usually when the unranked team is favored over the ranked team that's a sign it's a trap game. But South Carolina hasn't lost a game against the spread in Knoxville in its last six trips. It's quarterback play has been more consistent all season, and the Gamecocks have more quality wins. Since 2000 the average margin of victory in this series is just 7 points per game . Spurrier will have his team ready this week because of a controversial coaching clash with Lane Kiffin in the offseason. Tennessee 17, South Carolina 16

Central Michigan +6 over BOSTON COLLEGE
Eagles are beat up, and the Chippewas have a huge advantage here at quarterback, not to mention the fact that statistically they're the better team across the board. Central Michigan has also covered four of its last five road games. Wrong team is favored. Central Michigan 23, Boston College 22
SHould you really be using the the words lead pipe locks when you have a lossing record?

I appreciate these threads from Steve. With that being said....

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT HERE? Decker is out, Minny has NO offense now. Other than potential "letdown-ites" for MSU there is nothing that favors Minny.

Des Moines North High School could take the Gophers right now.

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT HERE? Decker is out, Minny has NO offense now. Other than potential "letdown-ites" for MSU there is nothing that favors Minny.

Ha! +1 for the DSM North reference...how does that school survive?

Gut feeling..the gophers pull this one outta their butts. Dantonio has been hung over all week, they dismissed two players(probably to open up a couple more schollys) and I think those players will reflect this malaise on the field. Dreams up in smoke now, only Cousins can save them.

Meanwhile,this is a season-saver for the gophers. They will go with Gray at QB and shake up their offense. Their defense will find their spine and after two weeks of beatdown on the road vs the #2 and #3 teams in the league,MSU will seem manageable.

Michigan only beating Illinois by 7???? I don't think so. Your Wolverines will win by much more than that unless they quit like the Illini have.

This is my favorite Friday thread... thanks Deace! Last week, you helped me win $464 on a 5 team parlay. I took the under on that AZ game, and took BC, Iowa + under, Iowa State.

look @ this - deace is helpin people make bank :)

Just call it the Deacer economic stimulus package!

Latest posts