LBs next season

MadBomber3

Jewell seems like he has good upside...Bower little less ceiling but still good...Spearman is a situational pass rusher and not a B10 cailber LB

We could use a legit Juco LB like MN brought in last year

Disagree, Bower is fine just needs size and strength. However, I totally agree with the JUCO route we need a ready to play LB or 3.

I do not understand the comment. Doyle is the reason KF thought he could develop LB's? It is glaringly apparent that #52 is just not an "Iowa MLB" guy has flat out not gotten it done this season, no question about that. Good Iowa D's begin and end with the Mike LB. #52 a RS SR is just constantly out of position. It is apparent we needed 2 MLB prospects to at least create competition at the position. Now that KF's foresight was wrong on that in 20/20 hindsight it is quite alarming with respect to his either REFUSAL to get JUCO MLB's or poor evaluation of the second teamers last year.

Either way this season would have gone way differently if we took the Minnesota model and gotten help at a position of glaring need, and that is the middle of this Defense.

I do not understand the comment. Doyle is the reason KF thought he could develop LB's? It is glaringly apparent that #52 is just not an "Iowa MLB" guy has flat out not gotten it done this season, no question about that. Good Iowa D's begin and end with the Mike LB. #52 a RS SR is just constantly out of position. It is apparent we needed 2 MLB prospects to at least create competition at the position. Now that KF's foresight was wrong on that in 20/20 hindsight it is quite alarming with respect to his either REFUSAL to get JUCO MLB's or poor evaluation of the second teamers last year.

Either way this season would have gone way differently if we took the Minnesota model and gotten help at a position of glaring need, and that is the middle of this Defense.

What makes this really sad is that had Iowa not had such horrible injury luck at the LB spots in 2010, Morris probably redshirts and is still leading Iowa's D at MLB this year. What a huge dropoff at that spot this year.

As for the OP, I hope that Bower & Jewell make some strides and man their spots for the next 3 years. But even if that happens there is a glaring hole to fill at that 3rd LB spot.

Spearman at rush DeeEnd next year. If he adds 20 pounds and keeps his speed that is his future on the team as he could really be ready for a big senior season. Mike Hardy graduates so Spearman could help replace him

Niemann needs a lot of work in the weight room. A lot of work!

Why didn't we go the JUCO route last year?

I think most expected Alston to be better. I remember a lot of people thinking he should have played over Morris at one time.

Jewel and Bower will improve and be solid or maybe very good. We may need a Juco or 2 for some depth though.

Bower played outstanding Saturday. Easily his best game

Agree Bo Bower was really flying around out there, against Wisconsin.
My money is on Bo to be All BigTen by the time he's done. Josey Jewell will be
right there, as well. That's two of our starting LB's for the next 3 years.

Outsey, Niemann, Kenny? Spearman, if he doesn't move to DE.

We need the LB's, Alston, Bo, Josie, Spearman to have a Very good game on Friday