Lauren Betts, come on down

Another way to get one would be to move Ava Jones to a schoolie with a medical status. I believe this is a thing but don't know the details.

There would be an emotional aspect to this with all of Ava's travails but if it's clear she won't play at all this year I'd guess something could be done.

I'd hate to see anyone shown the door that didn't want to go. And, who wouldn't want to be part of next year's team?
I read somewhere that once you go on a medical scholarship, you are never eligible to play again. She doesn't want to go on one because she doesn't want to close that door. I'm not sure if that's true tho.

I read somewhere that once you go on a medical scholarship, you are never eligible to play again. She doesn't want to go on one because she doesn't want to close that door. I'm not sure if that's true tho.
You may well be right, I have no idea what the rules are in that regard.

On Pat Harty's hawkfanatic radio show on KCJJ this morning, he interviewed Bard Heinrich, the head of the university's NIL arm, the swarm collective.

Brad said that the swarm could pay for the tuition, room and board and then some for anyone that wanted to walk on to the women's team, or other sports. He further said they could afford to do it for more than one player. So no scholarships would have to be taken away to bring in new players. These so called walk ons could then have their own NIL deals to bring in more money on their own.

An interesting side note, for me anyway, was Brad pointing out that some schools have billionaire supporters funding collectives with millions of dollars and that Iowa doesn't have that. Also, that basketball schools with no football programs only have to have NIL money for 30 or so athletes between men's and women's basketball but schools like Iowa with football program are funding for 150 or so and it is just harder to spread the money around.

Lauren Betts is headed to UCLA. The former top-ranked recruit announced Tuesday on Instagram that she has committed to transfer to UCLA.

Her loss. She will play in front of hundreds or maybe thousands of fans there.

Moving on to Aneesaw Morrow!

Lauren Betts is headed to UCLA. The former top-ranked recruit announced Tuesday on Instagram that she has committed to transfer to UCLA.

Well we get to see her in IC just not playing for the Hawks. Average attendance under 3,000 fans, I looked it up.

That sucks....she is making a mistake.

I saw a tweet from Morrow yesterday where she listed like 8 schools she's looking at and the Hawks weren't one of them.

Unfortunate for the Hawks, but can't really say it's a 'mistake' on Betts' part. There's something to be said for being able to walk around in shorts all year on one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation, in one of the wealthiest cities in the nation.

Unfortunate for the Hawks, but can't really say it's a 'mistake' on Betts' part. There's something to be said for being able to walk around in shorts all year on one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation, in one of the wealthiest cities in the nation.
She'll likely be getting paid way more money, too.

My grandson goes there. All you say is true. But the campus at Loyola Merrymount blows it away.

She'll likely be getting paid way more money, too.
Exactly.
When I was considering attending there, I was given a personal tour of the campus by a drop-dead gorgeous blonde co-ed. We ended up at the at top of the campanile, and there was a pregnant pause as a warm breeze gently blew through our hair as we looked down over the palm trees. At that moment she turned, handed me her phone # and address for a party that night. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
Certainly knew I wasn't in Waterloo.

Being that we were just in the National Title Game, have Catilin Clark....we should be able to name Betts price. Unless she really likes the warm weather.

Being that we were just in the National Title Game, have Catilin Clark....we should be able to name Betts price. Unless she really likes the warm weather.
Women don't have a lucrative pro system. Her degree is going to matter.

No offense to the Iowa alumni here, but a diploma with the letters UCLA on it is going to screaming past any Iowa degree in the pile on whoever's desk is doing the hiring. I'm sure she's thinking about that in addition to being a 20 something playing basketball in Hollywood with all that goes on there.

Women don't have a lucrative pro system. Her degree is going to matter.

No offense to the Iowa alumni here, but a diploma with the letters UCLA on it is going to screaming past any Iowa degree in the pile on whoever's desk is doing the hiring. I'm sure she's thinking about that in addition to being a 20 something playing basketball in Hollywood with all that goes on there.
If she goes overseas....she could make some good bread though....just stay away from The Soviet Block.....no matter what they are paying.

I saw a tweet from Morrow yesterday where she listed like 8 schools she's looking at and the Hawks weren't one of them.
Man that's hard to believe. She was recruited by UConn. and I know they want her. Probable a done deal. The list keeps getting smaller. sigh

Latest posts