Latest Bowl Chatter

Could be Jon. I got a feeling though that Iowa goes Gator. Any update on the injuries? Will we be "full strength" for a bowl game? Might make a difference to the selection guys.

Iowa vs Mizzou in AZ would not be a TV ratings bonanza, but I would like to see the matchup.

Well, at least the Insight would be on ESPN as opposed to the NFL Network like in the past. Not a fan of late kicks out west though; that's not a recipe for success for Iowa.

Jon question on the opposition in the insight. I'm assuming your assuming that the alamo bowl will select loser of Oky/Neb. My question is why is the choice Missouri? Weren't they just passed over by Iowa state, because of a crappy fan base. My question is why no one is predicting the opponet to be Oklahoma state? Don't know much about their fan base, but I'd assume that's almost driveable for them to Phoenix.

Well, at least the Insight would be on ESPN as opposed to the NFL Network like in the past. Not a fan of late kicks out west though; that's not a recipe for success for Iowa.

A bowl game is different. They would be there at least a week before, and their body clocks would be acclimated...it will be a B12 team and all of those are from the same central time zone as Iowa

It's the only bowl game on television the entire day. Would be a Tuesday

So no lead-in benefit from a more marquee matchup.
I dunno, still sounds like a ratings dud to me, but what do I know.

7 pm CDT on New Year's eve would be more ideal. Wasn't this game played on New Year's eve last year?

So no lead-in benefit from a more marquee matchup.
I dunno, still sounds like a ratings dud to me, but what do I know.

dud is a relative term. The game will start at 10pm eastern...that alone makes it a non apples to apples comparison with other mid tier bowls

I would love the chance to play Mizzou. Especially since they backed out on us a few years back. I think we could beat them.

Let's see:

1. Beautiful climate.
2. Great stadium.
3. Easy flight.
4. Rival we hate.
5. Chance at redemption if we get some LBs back (I know we can play better).
6. I think we wear black jerseys.
7. Maybe a game plan by Norm? Maybe?

What is there not to like?

Not according to the Bowl Schedule on ESPN.com. Champs Sports Bowl is on at 5:30 PM CST on 12/28/2010.

2010-11 bowl schedule - ESPN

However, we would certainly be the focus of CFB that late on 12/28!

Go Hawks!

Thanks...totally overlooked that...makes more sense now..having a stand alone game at that time of night would be odd..having the lead in makes more sense from a programming standpoint

Why is everyone assuming PSU to the Outback? I mean we have same record. We beat them head to head. Let's take a closer look at their wins.

Youngstown St (3-7) with a RPI of 207
Kent St (5-7) RPI-86
Temple (8-4) RPI-39
Minnesota (3-9) RPI-93
Michigan (7-5) RPI-49
NW (7-5) RPI-58
Indiana (5-7) RPI-87

38-44 overall records. They got handled by every big opp. they played minus Mich St.

Now, while I realize we don't have many quality wins either, we were atleast competitive in every game and do hold a win over a top 10 team.

I mean do they travel THAT much better than us? Is Joe Pa THAT big of a playing card?

I was with an Outback bowl rep prior to the NW game and he said they would love to have us this year, but they said they "knew" they wouldn't. (Thought at the time we would win against Nw and Minn obviously.)

Is it that far a stretch???

Why is everyone assuming PSU to the Outback? I mean we have same record. We beat them head to head. Let's take a closer look at their wins.

Youngstown St (3-7) with a RPI of 207
Kent St (5-7) RPI-86
Temple (8-4) RPI-39
Minnesota (3-9) RPI-93
Michigan (7-5) RPI-49
NW (7-5) RPI-58
Indiana (5-7) RPI-87

38-44 overall records. They got handled by every big opp. they played minus Mich St.

Now, while I realize we don't have many quality wins either, we were atleast competitive in every game and do hold a win over a top 10 team.

I mean do they travel THAT much better than us? Is Joe Pa THAT big of a playing card?

I was with an Outback bowl rep prior to the NW game and he said they would love to have us this year, but they said they "knew" they wouldn't. (Thought at the time we would win against Nw and Minn obviously.)

Is it that far a stretch???

They have Joe Pa and we have been to 3 Outback Bowls since 2003. It's that simple.

9:00pm Central kick on a WEEK nite, ick. Wed AM would not be very productive in the iowa workforce, that's for sure. THe only way I'm excited about this game is if it's against the huskers. Maybe the boys would be able to get up one more time for that matchup. Last thing we need is a repeat of minny game. ugh

Latest posts