Last year after four games...

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Iowa was unranked. They beat PSU on the road and moved up to 13, so if Iowa wins the next two, they probably will be around the same ranking IMO.

I think everything the team felt it could play for this year is still conceivably on the table. But as always, they have to take care of their own business and deal with what they can deal with in the games they play.

This team is still good enough to win a Big Ten title. They are still good enough to beat every team that is on their schedule. Having more time elapse since last night, I am even more impressed with the way Iowa came back given the special teams collapse. That showed a lot of character.

If they can shake this loss out of their heads, and having Ball State this week is the best tonic for that, and they show the level of heart they displayed last year, they will be just fine.

I wish I could say the same about some of the fans...perhaps some of you will shake it off by tomorrow ;)

Well said. You should implement a 2 hour window after games for fans to vent and be stupid. Then, just ban them. I'm dumber having just read some of the posts today.

Iowa was unranked. They beat PSU on the road and moved up to 13, so if Iowa wins the next two, they probably will be around the same ranking IMO.

I think everything the team felt it could play for this year is still conceivably on the table. But as always, they have to take care of their own business and deal with what they can deal with in the games they play.

This team is still good enough to win a Big Ten title. They are still good enough to beat every team that is on their schedule. Having more time elapse since last night, I am even more impressed with the way Iowa came back given the special teams collapse. That showed a lot of character.

If they can shake this loss out of their heads, and having Ball State this week is the best tonic for that, and they show the level of heart they displayed last year, they will be just fine.

I wish I could say the same about some of the fans...perhaps some of you will shake it off by tomorrow ;)

I hear ya, but the OL & RB situations have me concerned. I understand every game isn't going to be the way you want but with the exception of the Bruggaman (sp?) led OL back in 2008, this spot has been inconsistent at best going back to 2006.

This is my first post since the game. I'm still hurting from the loss, but there is also another way that I am looking at it: As poorly as the team played in certain phases of the game, on the road in that environment against another ranked team, and STILL was in a position to possibly win the game, speaks volumes to me about this team's potential. Shore up some of our issues, and this still could be a terrific season. Nothing will be easy, but I still feel this will be a very good football team.

the reason is it's hard to shake...is...this was gonna be the year...everything was set up for a natl championship run....and now that is OVER............

Correct Jon, still so much to play for and you never know how things could shake out.

Michigan is now the key game imho. Iowa should win the next 2. If they get by Michigan, things could start following more into place.

Good thoughts, Jon...I'm a little concerned they come out flat or have an emotional letdown against Ball State. Hope I'm wrong tho!

Good thoughts, Jon...I'm a little concerned they come out flat or have an emotional letdown against Ball State. Hope I'm wrong tho!

As I wrote last night, I think they could be flat against BSU...but they will still win the game...and then all of that stuff is forgotten when PSU comes to town at night on national TV...the players will put this behind them quicker than some fans will

Well put Jon. The reaction of some fans is exactly why so many question our fan base. Every time something negative happens some meltdown and start talking new coaches, etc.

Hard to get too excited about the rest of the season when our best RB, imo, might be watching from the sidelines. Jewel is a perfect complement to A-Rob's style that it's really devastating to think he might not return. Hate the idea of having to use one of our untested freshmen to spell Robinson.

Jon is right on. It is all about the rankings. Iowa will, in all likelihood, get the opportunity to play 4 or 5 ranked teams from here on out. If they beat those ranked teams, they will move up the polls. If Iowa runs the table and beats OSU, they could be back on the NC map. They obviously need some help but a 1 loss Big Ten champ will be ranked very high. All is not lost. This could still be a great year, it just won't be perfect.

Hard to get too excited about the rest of the season when our best RB, imo, might be watching from the sidelines. Jewel is a perfect complement to A-Rob's style that it's really devastating to think he might not return. Hate the idea of having to use one of our untested freshmen to spell Robinson.

2004, 2009...I had a lot of fun watching the Hawks in those seasons finish #8 in the final national ranking. 2004 was 2-2 at one point and down to 5th string RB. 2009 started without Hampton and no one knew what to expect from Robinson and Wegher.

Some folks are acting like last night's showing from Robinson has been the norm more than the exception during his year plus carrying the football. I just don't understand this phenomenon.

Jon is right on. It is all about the rankings. Iowa will, in all likelihood, get the opportunity to play 4 or 5 ranked teams from here on out. If they beat those ranked teams, they will move up the polls. If Iowa runs the table and beats OSU, they could be back on the NC map. They obviously need some help but a 1 loss Big Ten champ will be ranked very high. All is not lost. This could still be a great year, it just won't be perfect.

With the ESPN love for the SEC and Boise/TCU in the hunt, there is no way a one loss team from the B10 sniffs the National Title Game.

the reason is it's hard to shake...is...this was gonna be the year...everything was set up for a natl championship run....and now that is OVER............

That was just fantasy. Nohing was setup for a NAtl. Championship. Nothing was even setup for B10 championship. This is a very good team that has to play 12 (now) 9 games and while capable of winning will need it share of good fortune.

2004, 2009...I had a lot of fun watching the Hawks in those seasons finish #8 in the final national ranking. 2004 was 2-2 at one point and down to 5th string RB. 2009 started without Hampton and no one knew what to expect from Robinson and Wegher.

Some folks are acting like last night's showing from Robinson has been the norm more than the exception during his year plus carrying the football. I just don't understand this phenomenon.

Probably because this was the first team worth a crap that Iowa has played and he went nowhere....we don't get to play EUI and ISU's week in and week out the rest of the year, we actually have to play good teams so that is where people are worried.

Probably because this was the first team worth a crap that Iowa has played and he went nowhere....we don't get to play EUI and ISU's week in and week out the rest of the year, we actually have to play good teams so that is where people are worried.

Yeah, you're right, he didn't play well against MSU, OSU, PSU, or Arizona last year. He's just a slow, weak, hearless bum. Seriously, take a few days off, TC. It'd do you some good.

Unless they find one of the freshman backs is just amazing, this team is no where near a NC team. This type of offense needs a highly productive running game. At the present moment they are not even close to having such a run game. So let's take baby steps and just hope they can somehow find a back before we talk about regaining NC hopes.

Unless they find one of the freshman backs is just amazing, this team is no where near a NC team. This type of offense needs a highly productive running game. At the present moment they are not even close to having such a run game. So let's take baby steps and just hope they can somehow find a back before we talk about regaining NC hopes.

I'm done with the NCG talk. It was a longshot to begin with. I'd be more than happy with 10-2 and the CapOne or 11-1 and the Rose Bowl. With a win in either of those games, we still finish in the top 10.

Latest posts