Last time we were good?

1980hawk

When was that last time the Hawks were considered good? I know the Hawks won the Big Ten tourney a couple of times under Alford but were those teams good? Do we have to go back to Dr.Tom's teams?

I would say in '05-'06 we were truly a great team. We were a top-10 team. We won the Big Ten regular season and Big Ten Tournament. I truly believe that our loss was a fluke upset and we were good enough to win a national title that year. Iowa was as good as Florida.

I would say in '05-'06 we were truly a great team. We were a top-10 team. We won the Big Ten regular season and Big Ten Tournament. I truly believe that our loss was a fluke upset and we were good enough to win a national title that year. Iowa was as good as Florida.

Has watching too much Iowa basketball sent you into some sort of mental haze?

Florida was WAY BETTER than Iowa that year.

Joakim Noah
Al Horford
Corey Brewer

Three NBA players. Iowa was no where near as good as Florida.

I don't recall us winning the Big Ten regular season ever under Alford.

The last time Iowa was really, really, really, good. See here:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT3gmM9whys]YouTube - 1987 Iowa basketball - Indiana 1/22 Part 1[/ame]

'05-06, as a previous poster mentioned. Horner running the point, w/ Bru and Doug Thomas bangin' down low. Haluska was a stud too. We were legit that year. Until NW... STATE! :(

Never won the Reg season B10....and we really weren't that good. The B10 was just down during Alford's years.

Andre Woolridge senior year would be my bet for last truly good Iowa team. Although Mr. Davis's last season run to the sweet 16 had a solid team...just needed Ricky Davis to have stuck around so we had the go to guy/playmaker for the tournament.

Whatever you want to call the 05-06 team- really good, good, pretty good, damn good..... whatever....

That was a fun team to watch. Regardless of who was coaching - the overall makeup of that team was fun to cheer for and they could play.

I can not wait until we have a team anywhere remotely close to that again.

What do you consider good?

In '79 Iowa won the Big Ten title & went to the final four in '80. Since Lute left, Iowa has seriously challenged for the Big Ten title only two times. In '87, Davis' first season, & in '06 under Alford.

To me a good team is one that is consistently considered to be a Big Ten title contender like Michigan State, Purdue & Ohio State. I do not consider a middle of the pack finish & an NCAA bid a good team.

Since '88, Davis' second season, Iowa has only one sweet sixteen appearance.

I guess, to me a good team is one that seriously challenges for the Big Ten title and is expected to make a run in the NCAA tournament. The '06 team did challenge for the Big Ten title but I did not expect them to make a run in the tournament. The Big Ten was way down that year. As a matter of fact, no Big Ten team made the sweet sixteen that year.

To me, being MAD again does not mean Iowa has a good team. If a middle of the pack team & an NCAA bid is your definition of being good, then Iowa was good under Davis.

However, this is SAD, you probably have to be at least 40 to remember Iowa's last Big Ten regular season title. To give you an idea of how long ago the last Big Ten title was, Hayden Fry would not coach his first game at Iowa until the fall of that year

Iowa's decline in basketball has been slow & steady since Lute went to Arizona. It started under Raveling, continued under Davis & Alford, & hit rock bottom under Lickliter. When Lute left Iowa was sold out on a season ticket basis. You had to donate money to get tickets.

Today, Iowa has to offer gimmicks, to try to get fans to the games.

Sorry for my ramblings.

No way the 05-06 team could have won it all. They weren't THAT good. But they were a 3-seed in the NCAA Tourney, and won 25 games. I'd say they could've gone to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, but that's probably about it. But yeah, that year was the last time we were considered good. We were ranked all year long.

Don't forget the 1992-93 team either.. That team was in the Top 10 until the Street tragedy. The 1995-96 team was a 6 seed in the tourney, and that was considered a disappointment after the pre-season hype that year.

1987 was the last time we had a GREAT team.

Last edited:
05-06 team was the last good team at Iowa, but most Hawkeye fans won't see it that way because of their hatred for SA and the way the season ended.

'05-'06 was a nice team, but I was just hoping for a 1rst round win. I didn't think they would go any farther than that. The player talent level just wasn't high enough to overcome the lack of coaching talent.

05-06 was definitely a good team. The season definitely ended on a sour note. I remember taking a long lunch to watch the game at BW3s and I saw the NW St coming from a mile away. They drained it and I just walked out of the bar.

With that said, I still really loved that team. Brunner was a beast...I enjoyed him routinely getting 20 and 10 against bigger guys.

It was great because those 3 guys were Iowa guys...the few that haven't gotten away over the last 2 decades.

The Hawkeyes have so many inconsistent players, probably great kids that should be playing in a less talented confernce.MVC or Horizen.

In football you need big 10 all-conference players if you expect to contend, guys that will play on sundays, college basketball is no different, we do not have any all-conference players, if we are going to get back into the top five of the big ten we need to bring in some players that have a shot at all-conference.

when was our last 1st team all big ten? haluska?

Last edited:
Anyone who is saying the 05-06 team wasn't good is letting their Alford hate blind them. That team went undefeated at home, finished second in the conference in the regular season, and won the B10 tournament. A 25 win, three seed is a good team, upsets happen in the NCAA tournament. Kansas was a good team last year, despite the loss to UNI.

Latest posts