Last time Iowa played UConn...

Was not able to watch the game because I was coaching a game or practice of my own. As I rolled into the garage, I thought, I should turn on the radio and see how bad we got blown out. I couldn't believe what I heard.

Nice win vs. Oregon. However, I am concerned about the number of turnovers that Iowa had. UConn runs a very aggressive man to man defense. If the Hawks can handle that kind of pressure and limit turnovers, I might be hopeful of this team. But, so far, so good! Keep it up Hawks!

Nice win vs. Oregon. However, I am concerned about the number of turnovers that Iowa had. UConn runs a very aggressive man to man defense. If the Hawks can handle that kind of pressure and limit turnovers, I might be hopeful of this team. But, so far, so good! Keep it up Hawks!

Our turnovers have been more because of sloppy play than because of pressure defense.

Ya, that win raised already high expectations for Alfred at Iowa. He just couldn't bring in the recruits like I thought he would. He was so hot at SWMisouri, thought he would keep it rolling at Iowa. Just never got over the hump.

I do believe Oregon did us a lot of favors by sitting back on defense all game

IIRC, was it Alford's first year, also in MSG? Opening game of the Coaches Vs Cancer classic:

Yep. My son and I were there. No one saw it coming, least of all UConn fans. Defending national champions, they had beat us in March during the NCAAs, were ranked No. 1 pre-season coming into this game.

Hoo boy were the Huskie fans pissed. Screamed profanities at Hokk fans throughout the MSG concourse afterwards. Such nice folks they are...

We laughed.

During that game, Dick Vitale said: Steve Alford can flat out coach.....

Damn
Alford at the time was seen as the next boy wonder. The next K, Pitino, the man he just beat that night (Calhoun)

There were few people at the time who didn't like the hire. I know I liked it at the time.

Beating the defending champs that night in the midst of Kirk's inagural one win season didn't dampen our enthusiasm.

Remember the middle school aged girls who wore halos to home games and called themselves "Steve's Angels"?

Right now those girls are probably approaching thirty and wondering if they should have called themselves "Hell's angels".

Last edited:
I do believe Oregon did us a lot of favors by sitting back on defense all game

I was impressed with Iowa's strategy to break the press. Leave Garza/Kreiner back with the guard (Jbo and Cmac) and then hit Cook in the middle of the floor. They definitely saw it coming and had a plan.

Yep. My son and I were there. No one saw it coming, least of all UConn fans. Defending national champions, they had beat us in March during the NCAAs, were ranked No. 1 pre-season coming into this game.

Hoo boy were the Huskie fans pissed. Screamed profanities at Hokk fans throughout the MSG concourse afterwards. Such nice folks they are...

We laughed.

Nice. To hell with UConn fans!

Even if it turned out that UConn was overrated, still one of my all-time favorite hawkeye victories. Beating #1 on national TV with Duke Vitale in the house. Sweet.

I remember his tune towards Alford changing somewhat a couple years later. Something like "Forget your hair - you better get some shooters baby!". LOL.

Nice. To hell with UConn fans!

Even if it turned out that UConn was overrated, still one of my all-time favorite hawkeye victories. Beating #1 on national TV with Duke Vitale in the house. Sweet.

I remember his tune towards Alford changing somewhat a couple years later. Something like "Forget your hair - you better get some shooters baby!". LOL.
Vitale sightings were once regular occourances at Carver, particularly when the Big Ten had Sunday games on ABC and Big Monday on ESPN.

And this was when he was actually interesting to listen to. Back before he was all but coach K's butler.

Vitale sightings were once regular occourances at Carver, particularly when the Big Ten had Sunday games on ABC and Big Monday on ESPN.

And this was when he was actually interesting to listen to. Back before he was all but coach K's butler.

Yeah I remember pretty well, late 80s and early 90s he would do quite a few Iowa games. He seemed to love the BJ, Roy and Ed teams in particular. And agree - Vitale was much better back then, as was iowa hoops. Good times.

Honestly having trouble remembering the last Iowa game he called. Maybe Iowa's win at UNC a few years ago?

Last edited:
Dude had some ability but seemed like he couldn't stay out of his own head.
Didn't he have a reputation for flopping, among other things?

Like Kingsbury in that regard. Chris could bench press well over 300 lbs., which helped explain his shooting range, but would fold like a house cards when a Pete Lisicky or a Kevin Lynch or a Sherron Wilkerson brushed by him.

Latest posts