Last Second Shot Foul!

I just finished reading Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports are Played and Games are Won by Moskowitz and Wertheim. In the first chapter, Whistle Swollowing, the authors suggest that human behavior is sometimes influenced by omission bias or the understanding that omission-the absence of an act-is far less harmful than act of commission-the committing of an act-even if the outcomes are the same or worse. In the case of referees, they learn early on that fans come to see the players and not them. Therefore, many come to understand that the outrage fans direct toward them when they swallow their whistles at the end of a game is less than the outrage fans express if they believe the officials denied the players a chance to decide the game's outcome. I found Scorecasting quite entertaining because of its use of statistics to challenge many of sports most widely accepted truisms. I especially enjoyed the last chapter: Are the Chicago Cubs Cursed?

The upsets from yesterday aside. I think most times you could punch a guy in the junk at the last second and it would have a very good chance of being a no call.

I just finished reading Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports are Played and Games are Won by Moskowitz and Wertheim. In the first chapter, Whistle Swollowing, the authors suggest that human behavior is sometimes influenced by omission bias or the understanding that omission-the absence of an act-is far less harmful than the act of commission-the committing of an act-even if the outcomes are the same or worse. In the case of referees, they learn early on that fans come to see the players and not them. Therefore, many come to understand that the outrage fans direct toward them when they swallow their whistles at the end of a game is far less than the outrage fans express if they believe the officials denied the players a chance to decide the game's outcome. I found Scorecasting to be an entertaining read because of its use of statistics to challenge many of sports most widely accepted truisms. I especially enjoyed the last chapter: Are the Chicago Cubs Cursed?

Anyone else think it is BS that refs won't call last second fouls? Both of the upsets today were prime examples. I agree that refs shouldn't decide the games, but in a way they kind of are deciding the game by not making the call.

Dear Mr. Hawk,

The assertion in your post is inaccurate and unfortunate. I can assure you that all NCAA Division 1 basketball officials call fouls equally in the closing seconds just as they do from tip-off.

Respectfully,

Jim Bain

MSU game the refs didn't swallow their whistles. I know it wasn't a foul, but they called the travel with under a second left. Good call and I was surprised they made it.
I too was surprised, you almost never see that called at the end of a game.

Dear Mr. Hawk,

The assertion in your post is inaccurate and unfortunate. I can assure you that all NCAA Division 1 basketball officials call fouls equally in the closing seconds just as they do from tip-off.

Respectfully,

Jim Bain

Had to laugh at this one because I cried when it happened. Kevin Boyle called for a foul under the basket when he was at half court. Thanks, Jim, for that call! Cost us that game against Purdue game.

Latest posts