last night explaination

Hawk94

I am tempted to jump off the deep end and let frustrations take complete control of my thinking but there are a few level headed things to think about.
Is there any excuse for the horrible showing last night? Not really. But we have all seen many teams just not have it on a given night. This falls both parts on coaches and players. That being said, it is this coaching staff's fault that there is virtually no margin for error when this team plays. The lack of depth and to some degree athletes falls on the staff's ability to recruit. They have to be very sharp to have a chance, especially on the road.

Barring a defection of a major player or two Lickliter is going to stay. Let's hope they show a more inspired effort in the next 3-4 games, which I think it they will.

Last night we saw one team who is playing with a sense of urgency and one who is not. Northwestern still has a chance to make the NCAAs for the first time ever. They have three very winnable games left before the Big Ten tournament which would give them 21 win and 9-9 in the conference.

Iowa, though I believe the players still want to win, does not have the same motivation. When Northwestern came out as hot as they did, Iowa had no answer. Disappointing, yes, but no one should be surprised by last night's results. Now, if Iowa lays an egg Sunday at home vs Indiana, that would surprise me.

Last night we saw one team who is playing with a sense of urgency and one who is not. Northwestern still has a chance to make the NCAAs for the first time ever. They have three very winnable games left before the Big Ten tournament which would give them 21 win and 9-9 in the conference.

Iowa, though I believe the players still want to win, does not have the same motivation. When Northwestern came out as hot as they did, Iowa had no answer. Disappointing, yes, but no one should be surprised by last night's results. Now, if Iowa lays an egg Sunday at home vs Indiana, that would surprise me.

NW would have to get into the BTT championship to have any shot at an at-large big. They are still pretty far off the bubble.

I think there are some reasons Iowa did not look good last night. But to talk about them just sounds like excuses. Lickliter said afterwards there were no excuses.

We as Iowa "homers" may think the PSU loss was worse, but I'm curious if the natonal media would agree.

The Chicago media lumps Penn State and Iowa together as being equally bad. I know PSU has Taylor Battle who is better than any player on Iowa, but Taylor battle is not a house hold name.

Pretty much PSU and Iowa are considered equally bad by the Chicago media as far as I can tell from hearing/seeing stuff about NW basketball. They don't talk much NW basketball on Chicago media outlets for a good reason.

I think Iowa REALLY needed that win last week against Michigan. That would have given them reason to try and finish on a high note. They've nothing to play for aside for spoiler in the big10 tourney, but had they won, they could have at least tried to finish with a flourish. Hard to recover from a loss like that when you have nothing to play for.

I think Iowa REALLY needed that win last week against Michigan. That would have given them reason to try and finish on a high note. They've nothing to play for aside for spoiler in the big10 tourney, but had they won, they could have at least tried to finish with a flourish. Hard to recover from a loss like that when you have nothing to play for.

Huh??:confused::confused:

I've been behind Lickliter and still am which makes me a minority. Last night falls directly on Lickliter and the coaches. Having 8 days off to prepare for this game. We looked terrible. Our team looked like they had no idea that NW was going to run the princeton offense. 11-11 to start the game on 2 point shots. They might have made more than that, but that is a stat that made me want to puke last night.

I'm guessing the staff spent a lot of time preparing for the 1-3-1 and when NW switched we looked like we didn't know what man defense was. The team shot poorly with wide open shots at times, but I still think that with 8 days off your coaches should be able to get team fired up to compete. We looked dead out there.

If we look like this in our next game I will probably concede to wanting Lickliter gone. We had shown improvement over the year and last night we took a step backwards. I'm still hoping it was just one of those off games that teams will have. If people can't tell, I'm a very optimistic person to stick behind Lickliter after last night. Just wanted to vent about the game last night.

Penn State is actually getting better as their young players are starting to contribute and play better. Iowa and Indiana are heading in the opposite direction and the loser in Sunday's game will probably finish last in the Big 10 this season.

So what would Iowa have been playing for if they would have beaten Michigan?

I've been behind Lickliter and still am which makes me a minority. Last night falls directly on Lickliter and the coaches. Having 8 days off to prepare for this game. We looked terrible. Our team looked like they had no idea that NW was going to run the princeton offense. 11-11 to start the game on 2 point shots. They might have made more than that, but that is a stat that made me want to puke last night.

I'm guessing the staff spent a lot of time preparing for the 1-3-1 and when NW switched we looked like we didn't know what man defense was. The team shot poorly with wide open shots at times, but I still think that with 8 days off your coaches should be able to get team fired up to compete. We looked dead out there.

If we look like this in our next game I will probably concede to wanting Lickliter gone. We had shown improvement over the year and last night we took a step backwards. I'm still hoping it was just one of those off games that teams will have. If people can't tell, I'm a very optimistic person to stick behind Lickliter after last night. Just wanted to vent about the game last night.

I would agree that if they look like that in the next outing. I am moving closer to the get rid of Lick camp.

NW would have to get into the BTT championship to have any shot at an at-large big. They are still pretty far off the bubble.

And, when you have a BAD loss to, arguably, the worst team in the conference (Iowa), you have no chance to make it without winning the BTT.

Its a shame we have to continue to wake up to this freaking nightmare.