Lane Akre

He could end up being a very good short yardage back. He's built low to the ground, he probably puts on about 20lbs. 6'0" 250 would be a load to tackle.

Has the Weisman style stiff arm! Seems like a tough kid who is very excited to get to work. Hopefully this kid stays at fullback because Higdon or Hilliard steps up and takes over the position... Kirk is always going to need a good FB though.

54ceb77555e45.image.jpg

He does have a lot of similarities to Mark Weisman. I hope that he can become as good of a player as he was for Iowa. I do like the stiff arm.

Coach Ferentz's contact is good to Jan 31, 2020. Assuming he redshirts his first year he can still depend on this coaching staff being there. The first recruits that have to worry are next years recruits if they do redshirt.

Hope the next coach feels the same way, or this kid is going to spend a lot of time handing out water bottles at practice.

This is true. Very few college coaches even use the fullback anymore. As long as Kirk is here, kids gotta shot at some playing time. Although another coach could use a big guy in short yardage situations or at the goal line.

Coach Ferentz's contact is good to Jan 31, 2020. Assuming he redshirts his first year he can still depend on this coaching staff being there. The first recruits that have to worry are next years recruits if they do redshirt.

Next year could definitely be the start of some major concerns regarding recruiting going forward. It's almost to the point of cutting KF loose or giving him an extension. Trying to recruit while being a lame duck coach will make it tougher than it already is.

His contract ending may have some impact on future fullback recruiting and depth at the position but I believe it can be managed well. If Lane Akre becomes a good fullback he can do the job after Iowa's current fullbacks graduate. Iowa will still have many advantages to potential full backs that other schools don't. As in using them more often and great new facilities. Many FB recruits including Akre also plays defense or could be short yardage RBs if after 2020 Iowa gets a coach that uses a different offense. I am not concerned about the FB position through 2019 at all.

Last edited:
His contact ending may have some impact on future fullback recruiting and depth at the position but I believe it can be managed well. If Lane Akre becomes a good fullback he can do the job after Iowa's current fullbacks graduate. Iowa will still have many advantages to potential full backs that other schools don't. As in using them more often and great new facilities. Many FB recruits including Akre also plays defense or could be short yardage RBs if after 2020 Iowa gets a coach that uses a different offense. I am not concerned about the FB position through 2019 at all.

That's good. 90% of football teams across all levels aren't concerned with Fullback position either.

Latest posts