Lack of leadership and lack of toughness

#1DieHardHawk

It's more than frustrating to watch this team right now.

I can accept the fact that we lack athleticism on the perimeter, and that our bigs are young as a group.

What is unacceptable is that this is a group of wallflowers that lack physical and mental toughness. Not one player demonstrates any leadership on the court. They all clam up and drop their heads when the going gets tough.

They talked a lot of talk in the off-season. Now, they need to walk the walk. Hard to picture that happening.

It's more than frustrating to watch this team right now.

I can accept the fact that we lack athleticism on the perimeter, and that our bigs are young as a group.

What is unacceptable is that this is a group of wallflowers that lack physical and mental toughness. Not one player demonstrates any leadership on the court. They all clam up and drop their heads when the going gets tough.

They talked a lot of talk in the off-season. Now, they need to walk the walk. Hard to picture that happening.

Exactly what I saw 2nd half

Last year this new group of players were all tough as nails. I think right now they are just tough players that are playing horrible. Pemsl especially. He was the tough guy Iowa always lacks. Now all I see are missed layups and missed free throws. He's probably still tough. It's just hard to see.

JBo is a fine leader. To make a point, in Ww2 the Germans were fighting with bolt action rifles and US soldiers could get off 8 rapid fire shots per clip. Who is going to win that battle? Until a true pg is recruited, Iowa is competing with bolt action rifles.

JBo is a fine leader. To make a point, in Ww2 the Germans were fighting with bolt action rifles and US soldiers could get off 8 rapid fire shots per clip. Who is going to win that battle? Until a true pg is recruited, Iowa is competing with bolt action rifles.

I guess it depends on where the fight takes place. The Germans did kick our ass at Pearl Harbor.

Last year this new group of players were all tough as nails. I think right now they are just tough players that are playing horrible. Pemsl especially. He was the tough guy Iowa always lacks. Now all I see are missed layups and missed free throws. He's probably still tough. It's just hard to see.
I hear you, but I question if the kind of toughness that Pemsl (and Kreiner for that matter) is what we really need. I'm referring more to mental toughness and resilience. These players don't play with that "locked in" determined mindset that's needed, especially on the road under adversity.

Scottie Pippen used to talk about "that look" that Michael Jordan would get when things weren't going well, and, at that point, he would say "just get out of his way." Not to imply that any of our players should be anything close to Jordan, but I would like to see a little of "that look" with at least a few of our players, rather than looking like they'd rather be hanging out at the plaza.

I hear you, but I question if the kind of toughness that Pemsl (and Kreiner for that matter) is what we really need. I'm referring more to mental toughness and resilience. These players don't play with that "locked in" determined mindset that's needed, especially on the road under adversity.

Scottie Pippen used to talk about "that look" that Michael Jordan would get when things weren't going well, and, at that point, he would say "just get out of his way." Not to imply that any of our players should be anything close to Jordan, but I would like to see a little of "that look" with at least a few of our players, rather than looking like they'd rather be hanging out at the plaza.

Awe yeah, the go to guy that I have talked about since Fran got here. Still waiting for that guy to show up.

True. We have guys that can start filling it up when the going is good. But we don't have players that start kicking ass when the going gets tough. Especially on defense.

Bohannon is a tough minder shooter. But twice now I've noticed him not even try to get back on defense after a bad play. He just concedes a layup at the other end because he is sulking about a bad play. That isn't mentally tough.

The ones with red spots on the plane wings.

LMAO!!!!!! Hey I needed a good laugh after this debacle!!!! What really pisses me off is how those damn Germans dressed up like Japanese just to avoid taking the blame!!!!

LMAO!!!!!! Hey I needed a good laugh after this debacle!!!! What really pisses me off is how those damn Germans dressed up like Japanese just to avoid taking the blame!!!!

I wonder how they got their eyes to look like that?

I have noticed Iowa is a jump shooting team. Rarely try to or have the ability to break down the other team. VT was doing it all night to the Hawks and drawing the foul every time.

I have noticed Iowa is a jump shooting team. Rarely try to or have the ability to break down the other team. VT was doing it all night to the Hawks and drawing the foul every time.
Fran's motion offense is designed typically to get one position an opening each half-court set. Think Marble his last season. Almost every set was designed to get him into a good position.

I honestly don't think the issue is scheme, per se. When you watch the flow of the game, to me it appears that the issue is attitude and determination. A lot of that relates to lack of leadership on the court.