Kris Murray

Glad you posted this. I'm starting to hear a lot of rumblings that it is not a foregone conclusion that he comes back next year. Chad Leistikow on a local radio show said that he turned down workouts with some NBA teams...so what does that mean exactly? He is coming back next year no matter what or he is looking for something specific?

Btw, Mike Hilas of the Cedar Rapids Gazette has an article about him rising on draft boards. There is a lot of smoke here.

Last edited:
Just took a peak at the NBA draft order, if Keegan slides to the 9 slot to the Spurs or the 12th slot to the Thunder...Kris may be gone. Spurs have 3 picks in the 1st round and OKC has 4.

Sam Presti(OKC GM) is an analytics guy, he might take Kris without taking Keegan.

A lot of wheeling and dealing between NBA teams will take place before July 7th, so who knows how this plays out. I am super concerned because a lot of my expectations of the 22-23 Iowa basketball season is based on Kris returning or not.

This is amazing honestly. Personally, I still think Keegan has a lot of upside, and I know Kris does as well. If he can get drafted early 2nd round I think he should definitely go professional and give it all he's got. This is the dream that every young aspiring basketball players strives for, yet so many don't get the chance to realize. I'm sending all the good vibes his way and hope that he gets a shot.

This is amazing honestly. Personally, I still think Keegan has a lot of upside, and I know Kris does as well. If he can get drafted early 2nd round I think he should definitely go professional and give it all he's got. This is the dream that every young aspiring basketball players strives for, yet so many don't get the chance to realize. I'm sending all the good vibes his way and hope that he gets a shot.
I'm not sure if he goes second round he might be better off returning for another year. But maybe his upside is such that he could make it work. While I hope he comes back, I wish him the best because he is a great kid. That, and you know he is getting good advice, something that is not always the case with underclassmen contemplating their future.

If only there were a way to put a few bucks in his pocket to MAYBE entice him to come back ;)

I don't think money is motivating either Kris or Keegan, it's the dream to be one of the ~240 players that get to step on to a NBA court on a regular basis. The money part is nice, and they are going to get their fair share, but I don't think it drives them. If Kris sees that he will get an opportunity to play in the NBA I think he's gone no matter how much NIL money Iowa can throw at him (within reason).

That's why I capitalized MAYBE. :)

And, I agree they're not motivated by money. Have known Kenyon for a long time.

That said, if at the end of the NBA Draft process Kris is weighing a decision on a potential two-way contract with G League time or coming back to school and being the guy, I don't care who you are or what motivates you, money matters to a degree.

The Murrays were among the first athletes at Iowa with an NIL apparel deal. They've done autograph signings at Scheel's. They care about money like the rest of us.

I don't think it's going to be cut and dry where Kris stands when the deadline rolls around. There will be gray area and he'll need to make a tough decision.

Would he be the first multi year college player who never broke into the starting 5 on his college team on a prolonged basis to be drafted in the modern era with a 2 round draft? I have to think so. It is unimaginable that a guy who didn't start on Iowa is drafted.

Would he be the first multi year college player who never broke into the starting 5 on his college team on a prolonged basis to be drafted in the modern era with a 2 round draft? I have to think so. It is unimaginable that a guy who didn't start on Iowa is drafted.

I was going to say Devin Booker, but he left after one year. It feels like one of those loaded Kentucky teams had somebody.

I hinted at this being more then possible right when he announced... His stats from this last yr are almost irrelevant. His size skillset and potential is what really matters and all of those are in his favor. He's had a couple really good games he put on tape and can shoot. So if he's cool being a 2nd round pick then he may just fly the coop too.

The main reason he may be willing to go pro and risk the G league route is NIL. If Iowa boosters would pony up and make it financially worth his while to stay then he just might. But if going pro pays significantly more it's a tougher decision to make. But I'm not surprised if he does go I saw it coming.

Why would he be turning down workouts - I feel there's a lot of smoke but that part doesn't add up.

I'm not sure if he goes second round he might be better off returning for another year. But maybe his upside is such that he could make it work.
If it is his upside that gets him drafted, would that send him to the G League? Would Iowa be a better option? It would certainly get him a higher position in the draft, which would basically mean putting off money this year for a lot more next year and beyond.

After all, is said and done

And remember Done is One with a D

Would the Spurs take Keegan early and Kris later on with their second/third first-round picks?

Both of them playing together, as they have since birth, are a force to be reckoned with

Drastic rebuilding project for the Hawks if Kris goes

I would start watching the NBA Regular Season if The Twins are playing together

I will watch Keegan for certain

He is a pleasure to watch

Grant Hill/James Worthy and especially Jamaal Wilkes, Silk himself

Keegan is comparable with them after 2 years of college ball

:cool:

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts

What did FM see that other coaches did not?

What do NBA scouts see that FM did not? (hint: Playing time for both prior to Keegan this last year)

Latest posts