Kozan

chiz won't last long at auburn, imo. already burned through at least two coordinators and who knows how many assistants. recruiting classes flopping, etc. he is a dbag i'm sure - he hasn't changed since his days in ames when he wouldn't even drive to des moines for a booster event......

What happened to Gene Chizik's first two recruiting classes at Auburn? | al.com

Remarkably, 43 percent of Auburn's 2009 and 2010 signees are no longer on the team, or never joined the program in the first place.

And yes, that is worse than Iowa (36% for same period)

Last edited:
We know that Kirk is going to announce the DC next Weds. It would not surprise me to see the kid wait and see who it is before committing. Its also a wait and see on whether Auburn and Michigan will have a scholarship available for him.

Bottom line, if I were him and was deciding between Auburn (SEC) with national title a little over a year ago, Iowa or Michigan the decision would be easy.

Are you serious? You don't have to be a homer to know that if it's between Auburn, Iowa and Michigan, OL is one of the few positions where going to Iowa is a no-brainer. Reilly Reiff, Robert Gallery, Bryan Bulaga, Seth Olsen, Bryan Mattison, Vandervelde, Marshal Yanda, Steinbach... did I miss anyone?

auburn's glory days with chizik at the helm are in the rear view mirror.

Are you serious? You don't have to be a homer to know that if it's between Auburn, Iowa and Michigan, OL is one of the few positions where going to Iowa is a no-brainer. Reilly Reiff, Robert Gallery, Bryan Bulaga, Seth Olsen, Bryan Mattison, Vandervelde, Marshal Yanda, Steinbach... did I miss anyone?

Casey Weigmann still in the league, no?

And Riley Reiff set to be a 1st Round Draft Pick.

Why would the DC matter to an OL?

We can assume that our next DC has a lot to with with future recruiting and our defensive play overall.

If he cares about winning... Our next DC hire is important to him. (Our defensive play/recruiting on the defensive side of the ball is crucial to winning games/championships.)

That is how I look at it, although, I am not saying that is what he is waiting for. I was just trying to answer the question. :)

Edit: I was not the one who you were originally asking the question to. Maybe he has different reasoning.

Last edited:
Why would an OL Lineman base his decision on whom is announced as the Defensive Coordinator?

I think CGHawk is right on this one... The DC matters to an OL player because it matters a great deal to the program as a whole. Depending on the quality of the hire, it could determine if they play on a good team or a bad team.

"Yeah, we finished 3-9, but our offense was awesome!" is most likely not too appealing to a recruit.

It indirectly has to do with the DC hire. Herman is coming over from the Giants to be the new DC. Morgan is going to retire but they are holding off announcing because they 1. didn't want to affect recruiting and 2. They are seeign what might happen with the Pats. If BF get's a better offer with the Pats then he stays. If not, then he comes to Iowa and Morgan takes early retirement. That is why Jon Miller says he thinks it is 50/50 that Morgan is going to retire.

We know that Kirk is going to announce the DC next Weds. It would not surprise me to see the kid wait and see who it is before committing. Its also a wait and see on whether Auburn and Michigan will have a scholarship available for him.

Bottom line, if I were him and was deciding between Auburn (SEC) with national title a little over a year ago, Iowa or Michigan the decision would be easy.

So you'll be rooting for Auburn this year, eh!?!? They'll probably love your act on their boards...oh well, we'll manage...take care, home slice!

I think CGHawk is right on this one... The DC matters to an OL player because it matters a great deal to the program as a whole. Depending on the quality of the hire, it could determine if they play on a good team or a bad team.

"Yeah, we finished 3-9, but our offense was awesome!" is most likely not too appealing to a recruit.

That makes zero to no sense...

That makes zero to no sense...

Come on Shane... you serious? Who the Hawks hire as DC matters to all players, including the OL, since it will directly impact how good the team will be going forward. We've clearly been a better team when we have a good defense.

What I meant by the unclear "quote" was... Let's say the Hawks were to bring in a DC that had a scheme that worked equally as well as Michigan's did under Richrod. Their offense was good... but the defense was awful. Losing that many games (by Michigan standards) probably wan't much fun for anybody, including the OL.

I don't think that would happen no matter who the DC is. I think whoever KF brings in will be fine, even if it's Phil Parker. However, to say it won't matter to the offense who the DC is just seems silly to me.

Hawkeye Shane misrepresents your thoughts all the time. Don't take it personally ATL.

Iowa isn't hiring a bad DC, so I doubt any OL recruit is worried about Iowa going 3-9 because of the defense.

Iowa went 7-5 in the regular season this year with the worst defense since 1999 and 2000.

Latest posts