Kiyron Powell Sees Iowa as Excellent Opportunity

Evansville (IN) power forward plans to visit Hawkeyes:

LINK

Another forward. Fran seems to do quite well at that position.

Hate to put you on the spot but of the players available to play this upcoming season is there a guard among them that could possibly develop into the type of point guard that every big ten team needs to be a serious contender for a big ten title?

Hate to put you on the spot but of the players available to play this upcoming season is there a guard among them that could possibly develop into the type of point guard that every big ten team needs to be a serious contender for a big ten title?

Please do not hijack this thread with the same repetitive topic. This thread is about Powell. Thank you.

My gut feeling is that we are in a very good spot with Powell. Fran should be commended for identifying him early.

Not to hijack the thread, but, have you spoken with Andre Jackson, Rob? Of all of our current recruits, he's the one that really jumps out at me on tape. He's a very high ceiling player and would be an outstanding addition.

My gut feeling is that we are in a very good spot with Powell. Fran should be commended for identifying him early.

Not to hijack the thread, but, have you spoken with Andre Jackson, Rob? Of all of our current recruits, he's the one that really jumps out at me on tape. He's a very high ceiling player and would be an outstanding addition.

Have reached out to him a few times, including this morning, and have not heard back.

Yes.

Evelyn
Fredrick
Joe T.

Well I hope your right as that would be awesome.

Me too.

Can you imagine if all three of them (along with Wieskamp) can take their man off the dribble? It would create havoc; easy dumpoffs to bigs, floaters, kick-outs to shooters, etc. Last season, we basically had Wieskamp and he didn’t do it that often. I am cautiously excited about our guards.

Me too.

Can you imagine if all three of them (along with Wieskamp) can take their man off the dribble? It would create havoc; easy dumpoffs to bigs, floaters, kick-outs to shooters, etc. Last season, we basically had Wieskamp and he didn’t do it that often. I am cautiously excited about our guards.

I'm optimistic about them too. I see all the reasons why they might not be that good like CJ needing a redshirt, Evelyn not having a good year last year, and Joe T being lightly recruited. But there are a lot of reasons why they could end up really good. One thing for sure is it's going to be a completely different team next year, especially if Bohannon is out.

I'm optimistic about them too. I see all the reasons why they might not be that good like CJ needing a redshirt, Evelyn not having a good year last year, and Joe T being lightly recruited. But there are a lot of reasons why they could end up really good. One thing for sure is it's going to be a completely different team next year, especially if Bohannon is out.

You’re absolutely right, but I think it’s a good thing. While I appreciate what Moss and Cook did for the program, I was becoming increasingly frustrated with their inconsistency and lack of significant improvement from year to year. I thought the offense bogged down as Cook tried to create. Moss was a good shooter, but couldn’t do much else to create.

Given the number of departures and the skill sets of the guys coming in, Fran should have lots of options to be creative offensively. He can go big if he needs to, if we’re playing a small team with four guards, we should be thoroughly equipped to handle it. Sometimes, change is good and produces a better result. Hopefully, in this case, that happens.

Other conference teams seemed to have Iowa figured out. This coming year it will be an entirely different team. There were ways other teams could play Iowa last year that pretty much guaranteed a turnover or a bad shot. The guys coming in seem to have more dimensions to their games than the ones going out.

Other conference teams seemed to have Iowa figured out. This coming year it will be an entirely different team. There were ways other teams could play Iowa last year that pretty much guaranteed a turnover or a bad shot. The guys coming in seem to have more dimensions to their games than the ones going out.

100% correct. It is going to be very difficult to play in your jock man defense like Rutgers, Illinois and others played if our guards can get around their man on the dribble. If defenses start sagging back, we can shoot the lights out. We will be much better at getting the opposing defense out of position this season. Hopefully, just the amount of energy required to move around and get open is less.

100% correct. It is going to be very difficult to play in your jock man defense like Rutgers, Illinois and others played if our guards can get around their man on the dribble. If defenses start sagging back, we can shoot the lights out. We will be much better at getting the opposing defense out of position this season. Hopefully, just the amount of energy required to move around and get open is less.
Lights out shooting? Based on what?

-Evelyn is a career 33.3% guy. 30.6% last year.
-C McCaffery is a career 22.6% 3P shooter.
-Toussaint isn’t likely going to be a highly efficient shooter, nor would I expect Pat to be right away at least.

Frederick will be a good shooter most likely and we know what we have with Joe W but I wouldn’t call this a lights out shooting club, especially without Bohannon.

Secondly, offense was not the issue in the past couple years. Improving on that end would be good but won’t mean much if defense doesn’t improve.

Lights out shooting? Based on what?

-Evelyn is a career 33.3% guy. 30.6% last year.
-C McCaffery is a career 22.6% 3P shooter.
-Toussaint isn’t likely going to be a highly efficient shooter, nor would I expect Pat to be right away at least.

Frederick will be a good shooter most likely and we know what we have with Joe W but I wouldn’t call this a lights out shooting club, especially without Bohannon.

Secondly, offense was not the issue in the past couple years. Improving on that end would be good but won’t mean much if defense doesn’t improve.

Obviously, I am making assumptions, but Wieskamp is a good 3-point shooter. CJ Fredrick shot 48% his senior year in high school, that is impressive. Evelyn shot 38% his sophomore year, I’m hopeful he is injury free this season. Connor will be better, he has to be. All of our bigs, with the likely exception of Pemsl can shoot threes. Spreading the floor should not be an issue for us.

Defense will improve because we’re quicker at guard. Many of our breakdowns started there.

Obviously, I am making assumptions, but Wieskamp is a good 3-point shooter. CJ Fredrick shot 48% his senior year in high school, that is impressive. Evelyn shot 38% his sophomore year, I’m hopeful he is injury free this season. Connor will be better, he has to be. All of our bigs, with the likely exception of Pemsl can shoot threes. Spreading the floor should not be an issue for us.

Defense will improve because we’re quicker at guard. Many of our breakdowns started there.
Don't forget Pat was a 45% 3P shooter his senior year of high school, up from 27% the previous year.

What I like about our guards this year is that all of them seem to be at least a facial threat to hit a 3, and can take it to the rack. Now, not each of them is a true double threat in this regard, but I think part of the problem last year was we were too one-demensional at guard. JBOs shooting made up for his inability to drive, but Moss and Dailey were not dynamic enough drivers to balance JBO's limited game.

In the end, I think all of our guys playing 1-3 will have the ability to shoot AND create off the bounce. That will make us harder to guard for sure.

Don't forget Pat was a 45% 3P shooter his senior year of high school, up from 27% the previous year.

Small sample size warning: 24/53 in 22 games. I like Pat and definitely think he'll get there as a shooter, but his shooting motion in its current form will not translate at the college level. It's too slow and too low. He knows it, Fran knows it, everyone knows it, even mentioned it in his interview. When you have to retool your shot like that the percentages are liable to change significantly. Connor also had to retool his to a lesser extent when he got to college and went from shooting 42% his senior year to 20% in college. They'll both get there, but I wouldn't expect it day one. Our only known shooters this year will be Wieskamp and Fredrick, but that doesn't me we won't have offensive fire power. I fully expect Garza, Nunge, Pemsl, and Kriener to dominate teams in the paint and suspect that Fredrick and Evelyn will more than make up for the loss of Baer and Moss as scorers.

Small sample size warning: 24/53 in 22 games. I like Pat and definitely think he'll get there as a shooter, but his shooting motion in its current form will not translate at the college level. It's too slow and too low. He knows it, Fran knows it, everyone knows it, even mentioned it in his interview. When you have to retool your shot like that the percentages are liable to change significantly. Connor also had to retool his to a lesser extent when he got to college and went from shooting 42% his senior year to 20% in college. They'll both get there, but I wouldn't expect it day one. Our only known shooters this year will be Wieskamp and Fredrick, but that doesn't me we won't have offensive fire power. I fully expect Garza, Nunge, Pemsl, and Kriener to dominate teams in the paint and suspect that Fredrick and Evelyn will more than make up for the loss of Baer and Moss as scorers.
Ding ding ding.

I was just getting ready to respond to some of these posts talking about the McCaffery’s HS shooting percentage, but you basically perfectly summed it up.

Neither were high volume outside shooters in high school meaning their % was based on a small sample and everyone knew they needed work on their jump shots. At the D1 level guys are bigger and faster so the low and slow release of Pat will not fly. It’s not guarantee that Connor ever becomes even an average shooter at this level in my opinion.

With that said, it sounds like Evelyn can shoot it a bit better than maybe was expected so hopefully we will have enough 3pt firepower. The other interesting thing is if we get more penetration this year than in years past it should create some easier looks.